Replies

• davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I cut out man made sugar - makes me feel a lot better when I do
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My point simply is, there is more than just maintaining a deficit. You could in theory lose weight eating nothing but candy bars as long as you keep a deficit right? That's insane of course, and you can only imagine how hungry you would be all day every day. If a "balanced" diet works for you, great. Everyone should stick to what works for them. There is no one size fits all, but cutting out sugar almost completely will help you drop the weight easily, and if you follow the HFLC diet you won't ever be hungry doing it. Just my opinions, i'll try to find that article.

It would be equally insane of course to say that you could lose weight eating nothing but broccoli.

It would be equally insane to say that you could not lose weight by eating a candy bar every day.

Your point is that "added" sugar is bad. It's not. You're wrong. Your position is indefensible.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I cut out man made sugar - makes me feel a lot better when I do

Is that anything like man made diamonds?
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    What's with all the sarcasm and passive-aggression?
  • jonnythan
    Options

People have generally arrived at their conclusions through methods that defy reason and logic. Facts and reasoned argument invariably crash over them and disappear like waves against a cliff. At MFP we area not allowed to directly attack them.

Sarcasm and passive aggression are pretty much all that's left.
  • bawlzz
    bawlzz Posts: 12 Member
    Options

People like bawlzz have generally arrived at their conclusions through methods that defy reason and logic. Facts and reasoned argument invariably crash over them and disappear like waves against a cliff. At MFP we area not allowed to directly attack them.

Sarcasm and passive aggression are pretty much all that's left.

There are health benefits to cutting out sugar. Does this defy reason and logic?
  • BeachIron
    Options

We could ask the same with regard to the ignorance
  • jonnythan
    Options
    There are health benefits to cutting out sugar. Does this defy reason and logic?

It defies reason, logic, evidence, etc. You name it and it defies it.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I never eat "added sugar" foods. Only whole clean foods with natural sugars.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I never eat "added sugar" foods. Only whole clean foods with natural sugars.
    obviously did not read through thread….

can food be clean AND have sugar?
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I've eaten a lot of sugar today!!

I'm still within my macros.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    For those of you who cut out sugar for any amount of time, what kinds of foods do you normally cut out? Like, I know fruits have tons of sugar in them, so obviously not foods like that? Is it just junk foods or is there more too it?

I only eat sugar from whole foods.

huh?

I don't eat processed foods or sugar as in table sugar, honey, agave, candy, chocolate, etc. It's just personal preference. If I want something sweet I eat fruit or a baked yam.

I was in a hurry before and didn't explain myself well.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Fruit is healthy. Obviously if you eat too much you can gain weight from all the natural sugars contained within them.

You don't gain weight from sugar, whether it's from fruit or otherwise...you gain weight when you consume more energy (calories) than you require to maintain your weight.

Really, just eat a balanced diet, hit your calories and hit your macros. I do a 40c/30p/30f ratios of macros which is pretty well balanced and I still get to enjoy plenty of carbs...all the fruit and veg...and even eat jelly beans and ice cream...which I'm just heading out the door now to Stone Cold...

Sugar makes you crave more sugar, it's proven. Weight loss is not all about "cals in/cals out do you even lift bro?". Weight loss is all about what you personally can sustain long enough to A.) Lose the weight B.) Keep the weight off. When you take into account how much sugar/carbs are in our daily lives around us you'll realize facts such as these "natural" fruits a.k.a genetically modified to be bigger and sweeter, do not resemble anything natural/whole/balanced or w/e word they're using nowadays to get people to buy their ****.
    No. Sugar has not been proven to make people crave more sugar. Low carb zealots claim that, but science disagrees. As for the "genetically modified" fruit, care to name them? Or are you talking about the normal cross breeding that's been done for hundreds of years?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Fruit is healthy. Obviously if you eat too much you can gain weight from all the natural sugars contained within them.

You don't gain weight from sugar, whether it's from fruit or otherwise...you gain weight when you consume more energy (calories) than you require to maintain your weight.

Really, just eat a balanced diet, hit your calories and hit your macros. I do a 40c/30p/30f ratios of macros which is pretty well balanced and I still get to enjoy plenty of carbs...all the fruit and veg...and even eat jelly beans and ice cream...which I'm just heading out the door now to Stone Cold...

Sugar makes you crave more sugar, it's proven. Weight loss is not all about "cals in/cals out do you even lift bro?". Weight loss is all about what you personally can sustain long enough to A.) Lose the weight B.) Keep the weight off. When you take into account how much sugar/carbs are in our daily lives around us you'll realize facts such as these "natural" fruits a.k.a genetically modified to be bigger and sweeter, do not resemble anything natural/whole/balanced or w/e word they're using nowadays to get people to buy their ****.

In for the inevitable blog posts and biased news stories that will end up being put here in attempts to support their point.
  • bawlzz
    bawlzz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Won't waste my time. Thread was made for "those who cut out sugar". I have a year and a few months experience in having cut sugar out, have obviously had success in dropping alot of weight, along with other health benefits. It's a shame for the OP, great supportive community you guys have here.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Won't waste my time. Thread was made for "those who cut out sugar". I have a year and a few months experience in having cut sugar out, have obviously had success in dropping alot of weight, along with other health benefits. It's a shame for the OP, great supportive community you guys have here.

We do have a very supportive community. One that is willing to call BS when we see it. There's no reason to allow people to be deceived into depriving themselves when it's not necessary. Real support starts with honesty. Period.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Your a 23 year old male eating less than 1250 cals a days (1000, 1185, 797). Tell me more about these lovely health benefits. Granted you don't log consistently, so maybe you're just bad at logging...then again, who knows if you really do cut out sugar. I mean I saw peanut butter, but I guess that doesn't count.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

news flash…calorie deficit lead to weight drop ..not cutting out sugar...
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    There's another angle to this that's not easily explained by those who have never experienced it.

I am a sugary carb addict and my trigger is sugar. Any kind.

I don't usually eat any fruit or processed sugar or artificial sweeteners unless I've fallen into a binge.. I'm in a binge right now because I thought I would just try a bit of pudding 11 days ago.

I'm still struggling to come off it.

I don't have any written scientific evidence just my own experience but I can understand why someone else might also like to irradiate sugars from their food.