other people's diaries

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    However...with all of that said. I have a huge mix in my daily eating habits of fresh produce, homemade light meals, etc, and the occasional junky chocolate or takeout meal. I don't look at others' diaries very often but I'll admit to being a little shocked sometimes. Especially when it shows a whole day of 100 cal packs of various snack foods. Not only do I find it difficult to imagine subsisting on 100 cal packs of cheezits and Oreos, but I am way too frugal to buy those...can't even imagine what that would cost to eat like 8 of those packs every day in addition to other food. They're not cheap for such a small and relatively "empty" food item IMO. To each their own, though.

I can only speak for myself, but think of it this way: if somebody told you to pay $1,000 extra for food over the course of a year, and you would weigh XX lb less guaranteed by the time the year was over, would you do it? Those items may cost a bit more, but if they help the person eating them be successful, you'd best believe they'll buy them in the grocery store each time!

For me, that would not even be an option honestly. While technically I could "afford" $1,000 extra...for my husband and I that $1k would be the equivalent of about 3 MONTHS of groceries. No way. We live a frugal debt free lifestyle and there is just no way I could justify that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    well I see that I am late to the party here….

OP seems to be complaining that people don't eat exactly as she wants them to…interesting…

I suggest deleting all your friends and then you do not need to worry about it...
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    She's just making an observation. It is true that several people don't eat many, or any, fruits and vegetables. It works for them. It wouldn't work for me. I didn't find her post particularly harsh. I guess I chose to not take it personally and just as an observation.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - reviewing your diary reminds me of an old saying "people who live in glass houses should not throw stones"
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    "Great people talk about ideas. Small people talk about others." Author Unknown

"Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about current events. Small people gossip"

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    well I see that I am late to the party here….

OP seems to be complaining that people don't eat exactly as she wants them to…interesting…

I suggest deleting all your friends and then you do not need to worry about it...

I reviewed your diary. Would it kill you to have some fruit?

And no, wine does not count as fruit.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I personally don't feel like sifting through 50+ items in the database just to add 30 calories of onion or broccoli or mushrooms, so I only add foods that have a calorie count of about 80 or higher. When my progress losing weight starts slowing down, I'll start really documenting everything carefully, but right now it's not worth the hassle. Potatoes and fruits have enough calories to get entered in my diary, but I eat a lot more vegetables than it reflects.

Really? It takes me seconds to find any food listed by grams. Then it stays in my 'recent' foods list. If you can't be bothered now, I don't think that is a good indicator of long term success. Because to maintain you are going to have to be bothered. Also, you are losing out on your very own personal data base by not entering everything you eat as you lose weight. For instance, a personal TDEE calculation could

not be made.

There's lots of us maintaining without keeping strict food diaries, or not tracking at all. What works for you may not be what someone else needs to do.

Then why be on a calorie counting site?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

"Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about current events. Small people gossip"

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"The Internet is a great way to get on the net." - Bob Dole
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I personally don't feel like sifting through 50+ items in the database just to add 30 calories of onion or broccoli or mushrooms, so I only add foods that have a calorie count of about 80 or higher. When my progress losing weight starts slowing down, I'll start really documenting everything carefully, but right now it's not worth the hassle. Potatoes and fruits have enough calories to get entered in my diary, but I eat a lot more vegetables than it reflects.

Really? It takes me seconds to find any food listed by grams. Then it stays in my 'recent' foods list. If you can't be bothered now, I don't think that is a good indicator of long term success. Because to maintain you are going to have to be bothered. Also, you are losing out on your very own personal data base by not entering everything you eat as you lose weight. For instance, a personal TDEE calculation could

not be made.

There's lots of us maintaining without keeping strict food diaries, or not tracking at all. What works for you may not be what someone else needs to do.

Then why be on a calorie counting site?

For the remarkably insightful forums?
  • sunny111775
    Options
    maybe they dont have veggies at hand. i stay at my parents work all the time and all the food i find is high calorie (high calorie drinks, high calorie cheese, cake, juice) i cant just leave them to buy food because they will complain. I usually eat healthier at home though.
  • Just_Kim_
    Just_Kim_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I will probably never open my diary. Too scary here. O_o
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't like having my diary open. I have good days and bad days and more than likely a creeper will catch me on a bad day. I've got one friend in my friends list that regularly posts so that doesn't bother me, but they're family haha.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Eleanor Roosevelt

!
    LOL
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I look at the food diaries of the people and sometimes the worry me.... not saying my diet is perfect in any way!
    If I ate what they ate my body would be starving, I need salads or veggies to fuel myself. I plan on eating this way for the rest of my life, im happy with my diet, it works for me, and in sure they say the same thing about theirs.... its just the lack of fresh produce doesn't sound sustainable in the long run... to me anyway!
    These people are meeting their calories needs for the day, but rather than filling up with healthy calories they would rather eat a little bit of something that is calorie dense... end rant

Fresh produce is a waste of my money and it hardly fills me up. Eat your way and I'll eat my way.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Eleanor Roosevelt

"The internet is riddled with misquotations."

-Abraham Lincoln
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Because if someone comments on your diary, something really bad happens?

My diary is wide open. People can comment all they want...

...and if I don't like it, I'll cut them from my FL.

Whether or not someone comments on my diary doesn't change what I did or didn't eat.

I honestly don't see what the big problem is.

That said, if you're going to trash what I eat, your own had better be better.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options

My diary is wide open. People can comment all they want...............

Whether or not someone comments on my diary doesn't change what I did or didn't eat.

^^ This. My food diary is a record of what I've eaten, that's all.
    If I spend two days using all my calories on panettone and chocolates then that's my decision, might not be sustainable long term but isn't going to harm me. If someone makes a "naughty, naughty!" comment I'd just take it as gentle teasing!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Because if someone comments on your diary, something really bad happens?

My diary is wide open. People can comment all they want...

...and if I don't like it, I'll cut them from my FL.

This!

tumblr_lp0k8u3G9x1qlumgi.gif
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    'Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food!' - Eric Helms

IKR! LOL
  • Hey, as long as we're losing.