Those who cut out sugar

Options

Replies

• gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    none…

fruit sugar is not superior to other sugar…

eat in a deficit, hit macros, lose weight…

I promise it is that simple..

this assumes no medical condition that would make one sensitive to sugar.

amen
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    For those of you who cut out sugar for any amount of time, what kinds of foods do you normally cut out? Like, I know fruits have tons of sugar in them, so obviously not foods like that? Is it just junk foods or is there more too it?

I cut out almost all processed foods. Yes, fruit is gone, too, as are all grains. I don't need high sugar foods at all.

I feel great since eliminating those things & plan to eat this way forever for the health benefits. No aches & pains, no cravings, complete control over what & how much I eat. I've also have lost a large amount of weight/fat.

Different people have different needs and we all need different things at different times in our lives. What & how much one needs to limit certain foods is an individual thing. The human body is very complex and, despite insistence from many, it is way more complicated than calories in, calories out.

what do you eat, grass?

so you are saying calories in vs calories out does not matter..?

Calories matter but they are not all that matters. It is not just calories in/out. It is a lot more. The source of the food matters. And our bodies use calories from different foods in different ways. We even burn more calories eating some types of food than others.

There is so much new information out and more all the time. Much of what we've been told is completely wrong.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    For those of you who cut out sugar for any amount of time, what kinds of foods do you normally cut out? Like, I know fruits have tons of sugar in them, so obviously not foods like that? Is it just junk foods or is there more too it?

I cut out almost all processed foods. Yes, fruit is gone, too, as are all grains. I don't need high sugar foods at all.

I feel great since eliminating those things & plan to eat this way forever for the health benefits. No aches & pains, no cravings, complete control over what & how much I eat. I've also have lost a large amount of weight/fat.

Different people have different needs and we all need different things at different times in our lives. What & how much one needs to limit certain foods is an individual thing. The human body is very complex and, despite insistence from many, it is way more complicated than calories in, calories out.

what do you eat, grass?

Calories matter but they are not all that matters. It is not just calories in/out. It is a lot more. The source of the food matters. And our bodies use calories from different foods in different ways. We even burn more calories eating some types of food than others.

There is so much new information out and more all the time. Much of what we've been told is completely wrong.

so I can eat the "right" foods and eat 4000 calories a day and not gain weight?
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

what do you eat, grass?

so I can eat the "right" foods and eat 4000 calories a day and not gain weight?

If you can let me know! lol...
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I follow the school of thought - as recommended by the American Heart Association - that the goal is to keep added sugar to a minimum. The rationale is that fibre mitigates the negative effects of fructose, so fruit is ok, whereas Oreo cookies, not so much. (Everything in moderation, of course.)

And it is fructose that's the problem, so lactose is ok (contains no fructose.) So you don't need to worry as much about the high sugar content in milk.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Everyone is over simplifying things to prove their own point.

1) Too many calories will make you fat.
    2) Refined sugar was not part of our diet before the 1400's so if you don't want to eat it, go ahead and don't.
    3) Refined sugar can be addictive. If you are susceptible to sweets and feel that they hinder your weight loss, don't eat it.
    4) Too much sugar makes your stomach hurt.
    5) Sugar tastes good, so eat it if you want.
    6) Sugar isn't entirely nutritious, so don't base your diet around it.

There, that is a bunch of random facts. Pick through whatever ones make you happy and whatever works for you. We shouldn't simplify things down to calories in vs. calories out in every circumstance, because eating 1800 calories a day of pure refined sugar is going to **** you up harder than Tyson in his prime. But then we shouldn't go the other way and simplify things down to "eat clean", because sometimes that just isn't reasonable or realistic.
  • bawlzz
    bawlzz Posts: 12 Member
    Options

2) Refined sugar was not part of our diet before the 1400's so if you don't want to eat it, go ahead and don't.
    3) Refined sugar can be addictive. If you are susceptible to sweets and feel that they hinder your weight loss, don't eat it.

There, that is a bunch of random facts. Pick through whatever ones make you happy and whatever works for you. We shouldn't simplify things down to calories in vs. calories out in every circumstance, because eating 1800 calories a day of pure refined sugar is going to **** you up harder than Tyson in his prime. But then we shouldn't go the other way and simplify things down to "eat clean", because sometimes that just isn't reasonable or realistic.

Careful.. you might compromise the circle jerk..
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options

Careful.. you might compromise the circle jerk..

I see a lot of people who refuse to accept what the other person is saying, even though nobody is actually arguing. People who suggest others eat clean are attacked by people who are pro-sugar, who are attacked by people who are pro-only one kind of sugar, who are attacked by pro-sugars again, who are then attacked by pro-clean eating. Nobody bothers to learn the history of refined sugar, the science of refined sugar vs the science of fruit sugar, or the science of calories in vs calories out. Nobody is out to educate each other in this thread, it is just an "I told you so" fight.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Most of those "random facts" aren't actually facts. Just saying. Refined crystalline sugar was first produced roughly 6000 years ago, humans have been eating it long before the 1400s. Around the 1600s it started becoming cheaper, and by the 1700s it was a staple in most European households. In the 1800s the British consumed more sugar per capita than Americans do today (over 100 pounds a person.)
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options

Most of those "random facts" aren't actually facts. Just saying. Refined crystalline sugar was first produced roughly 6000 years ago, humans have been eating it long before the 1400s. Around the 1600s it started becoming cheaper, and by the 1700s it was a staple in most European households. In the 1800s the British consumed more sugar per capita than Americans do today (over 100 pounds a person.)

Again, arguing over a meaningless mistake. Before the 1400s, most people did not eat refined sugar. It was a luxury item from I guess around 1500 up until the 1800s. You can pull Wikipedia facts all day on me if you want, but I am only trying to get people over this argumentative hurdle we are having in this thread. Doesn't seem possible I guess. Being off a few hundred years doesn't change a damn thing about my point that refined sugar hasn't always been in our diet. You are already labeling me as an opponent to your ideology, even though I am right in the middle.

So we refined it 8,000 years ago. There was still about 192,000 years before that of us not eating refined sugar. Just accept the point for the meaning behind it, not as some definite date factoid.
  • tigersword
    Options
    There isn't a single food in the collective human diet that we've "always eaten." The human diet has changed drastically many times. Our adaptability and ability to survive and thrive while eating a constantly changing array of foods, and our ability to change and create our own foods, is pretty much the entire reason for our evolutionary success as a species.

The "avoid it because we haven't always eaten it" argument is completely without merit. Heck, there isn't even a food we eat today that's the same as it was 500 years ago, with the possible exceptions of sugar and salt.
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options
    There isn't a single food in the collective human diet that we've "always eaten." The human diet has changed drastically many times. Our adaptability and ability to survive and thrive while eating a constantly changing array of foods, and our ability to change and create our own foods, is pretty much the entire reason for our evolutionary success as a species.

The "avoid it because we haven't always eaten it" argument is completely without merit. Heck, there isn't even a food we eat today that's the same as it was 500 years ago, with the possible exceptions of sugar and salt.

That is why I said "pick the facts you like." You didn't even read any of what I said and you just start throwing Wikipedia at me to prove your point. My goal was to get people to be moderates and to recognize other ideas. I don't know how you pulled this out argument out, but you managed.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I read what you wrote. I also corrected facts that were wrong. Listing incorrect information is always a problem, because some people lurk in threads, and then they may end up believing things that aren't true, because they don't get involved in the discussion long enough to learn. It's not to start an argument. It's to ensure that correct information is being shared.
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options
    I feel that if I say, "The sky is blue and polar bears are white" somebody is going to jump in and tell me that the fur of polar bears is actually transparent (which it is.) :wink:

I'll stop putting numbers out there and I'll try and be as clear as I can while I leave this thread to the arguments:

Sugar, Yum Yum
    Cut out sugar if you want,
    then don't expect to eat a croissant.
    Don't eat it too much
    it might make your tummy hurt
    and such.
    Don't mix it with alcohol, and don't get it in your eye.
    Don't put it in your car (it might melt in the sun! har har), but do store it in a jar.
    Don't confuse it with the salt,
    and if it makes you fat, well,
    that is your own damn fault!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Fruit is healthy. Obviously if you eat too much you can gain weight from all the natural sugars contained within them. But natural sugar provides energy, not to mention the plethora of vitamins you get from fruit. Fruit is also a naturally sweet food, and will stop you from reaching into the cookie jar. Jonesing for a piece of cake or ice cream? Eat a fruit. It'll sate the sweet craving.

I recommend avoiding all added sugars, including artificial sweeteners. The easiest way to accomplish this is to eat *real* food as made in nature, not processed food.

As stated before, any diet or advice that suggests eliminating ALL fruit should set off warning bells.
    ^^This^^ -- pretty much, anyway. I eat as much fruit as I want. Fruit is nutritious. I'm not afraid of the carbs or the natural sugars. I'm going for nutrition and health, not just weight loss here. I rarely eat refined sugar in any amount. If it doesn't have any nutritional value, it's not worth the calories to me.
  • mrbat
    mrbat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    hit macros - what does that mean?
  • stoj8
    stoj8 Posts: 5
    Options
    You can eat any food you crave.

I eat heaps of fruit and achieve a 200 calorie deficit.

Fruits that are nutrient dense and low in calorie are ones to choose!
    example 100g of rockmelon contains over 60% of your daily vitamin A and Vitamin C requirement.
    100g = 30 calories, yess only 30 calories, half a kilogram is 150calories.
    that will fill you up as a snack.
    Watermelon is also 30 calories per 100g, plus contains L-citrulline, a pre-cursor to L-arginine, a precursor to Nitric Oxide,
    identified by Nobel Prize winners - three scientists from UCLA in 1998.
    !
    Ensure you balance carbs with protein, ie 150-200g of each is ideal. Ensure a calorie deficit of about 200.
    Eat nutrient dense foods fruits vegetables, lentils, brown rice...
    Avoid sweets, chocolates, or white bread as you could over-indulge and blow your daily calorie budget in 10mins!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7OCqV4JjZY

This is a talk by a graduate school level biochem and physiology professor who did scientific literature reviews on how sugar affects appetite.

I don't understand every word he says, I don't have the proper education for it, but it was still educational. And before someone says it, I know this is slanted in that the speaker has a clear viewpoint. However, it is interesting and well researched, by someone with a background in areas related to the subject.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

all I am saying is that you can eat sugar - added, fruit sugar, whatever - and lose weight…anyone that says they "cut out sugar" and that is why they lost weight is full of BS….its the calorie deficit that caused weight loss, not avoiding a certain food group...
  • Polda2010
    Polda2010 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ok so this is what I think. I don't do so called bad sugars, I just don't do well on them and Diabetes runs in my family on both sides. However, I've noticed you are a new mommy. 1st of all Congratulations on your new baby boy :flowerforyou: ..but where I am getting at is the question of breastfeeding... Do you breastfeed? If so in my honest opinion you'll need some sugars, especially those coming from the nice healthy sources such as fruits which are also loaded with vitamins and minerals of which you both need. I think your OB Doctor has dietary guidelines for breast feeding new moms. I hope this helps and there is nothing wrong with a piece of chocolate every now and then:wink: