Will I gain weight eating entire container of ice cream?

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The calories in, calories myth is just that -- a myth. If you want to stuff yourself, do it with spinach or something you enjoy that's actually good for you. Will you gain weight? You may and you may not. You have to eat 3500 calories to gain a pound if you believe in calorie math. But the "real" question is, why over indulge in something bad for you instead of quality food?

You can make healthy ice cream. But ice cream is to be enjoyed sparingly. If you're just pigging out this one time, it won't kill you and you probably won't gain weight. But if you do it often, that's another story.

By the book, "The Calorie Myth."

so I guess you do not believe in math either?
    Also, you can eat nothing but spinach for decades and be super healthy. Because magic.
  • gr34t
    gr34t Posts: 15
    Options
    Hm... I don't think I've ever eaten less than a pint of Haegen Dasz or Ben & Jerry's when I had it at home. It's just the right size to enjoy (and opened ice cream/food containers are just a no-no).

Just make sure you don't eat it too... gosh, I miss ice cream! Be right back...

Back.

As for the calorie myth thing: Obviously, it's not a pure maths question - for two reasons: a) the specific calorie values on food are not necessarily accurate (remember last year's uproar that almonds have up to a third less calories than is being printed on everywhere and we thought they have?). b) the composition of bacteria (you will be part of four major groups but it's still a unique bacteria mix you have in your body) in your digestive system determines how well specific calorie types (carbs/sugar, protein, fat) can be processed. This can also have an up to +/- 10% effect.

However, keeping both factors in mind, calorie-counting (plus keeping an eye on sugar and fat) is still the way to go. Why? Because a 750kcal deficit per day is a deficit in 99 out of 100 times. And because you get a better feeling for what healthy food and what unhealthy food is.

Conclusion: calories are not a myth. Their effect is just a little less quantifiable than most people think. This doesn't make much difference in the greater scheme of things, ie losing/gaining/maintaining weight, though. It's mainly a scientific/academic issue.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, the most accurate way is to scoop out the ice cream into a big bowl, let it melt, then measure out the correct portion in liquid form. Then just refreeze and enjoy!

I think what the OP is missing is that it's not physiologically relevant whether she is eating 0.5333 cups or 0.49777 cups of ice cream. Calories in cannot be determined that accurately, and calories out cannot be determined anywhere near that accurately. Whether you tamp it down into the cup or not is well within the margin of error we all live with daily and is not worth stressing out about. Especially on Christmas!
  • KaosLynnRose
    KaosLynnRose Posts: 3,415 Member
    Options
    i read the op of this and all i could think of was this...i dont for it to be taking as rude just letting everyone know

fat-girl-eating-ice-cream.gif
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Truthfully, the most accurate way is to scoop out the ice cream into a big bowl, let it melt, then measure out the correct portion in liquid form. Then just refreeze and enjoy!

I think what the OP is missing is that it's not physiologically relevant whether she is eating 0.5333 cups or 0.49777 cups of ice cream. Calories in cannot be determined that accurately, and calories out cannot be determined anywhere near that accurately. Whether you tamp it down into the cup or not is well within the margin of error we all live with daily and is not worth stressing out about. Especially on Christmas!

I wish someone would highlight this in gold all over the homepage! There is very little accuracy in this game. It is the act of logging that matters - that is what changes/influences your behaviour. The margin of error even within the manufacturers' counts are huge. Then there are the errors that creep in in measurement. And the big one - your TDEE. As far as I am concerned it is a mystery number that no calculator can accurately determine, and may fluctuate significantly daily. We are dealing with ballpark figures here.

As I rule I expect to underestimate my calorie intake by 20-30% daily. And whilst many people on MFP might overestimate calories burned from exercise, most probably underestimate how many calories they burn simply by existing and doing things during a normal day.

The whole tub of icecream will probably go over the next few days and however you log it as long as the whole container's worth appears in your log over the next few days I wouldn't sweat it.

Of course this is likely a massive troll post but you never know who might be reading and might get some useful information.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    There is no 'myth'. You can't magick energy out of nowhere.
    If you want to spend your precious money on the latest low carb/paleo/organic/whole foods/clean eating/ anti-inflammatory or whatever the latest diet shill is that's your choice, but pedalling quackery on these boards gets tiresome really quickly.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    OP do you have a difficult time with fractions? It's not something to be embarrased about. Let's make it easier you have 1 carton of ice cream. I want you to put an imaginary line right where you think half or the middle would be...might help if you draw a little line on the carton to represent the middle. Doesnt have to be exactly right just give it the best guess that you can. Now above that line I want you to imagine the middle again between the top of the carton and the line you just drew...this is now the quarter or 25% of the ice cream cointainer. Draw a line and eat only the ice cream to that new line or the quarter line you drew.

Put the ice cream in the freezer. Next time you eat the ice cream you eat to the half way mark, and after you get to the half way mark I want you to draw another line from the top of the half way mark to the bottom of the carton right in the middle.

In the end you will get 4 servings out of that ice cream or about 1/2 cup of ice cream. You can also use a 1/2c measuring cup.

Here's a list of Ben & Jerry's nutrition

http://www.benjerry.com/files/content/shared/files/scoop-shops/menu/scoop-shop-nutritional.pdf

*oops sorry thought you said B&J ice cream not haagen daz. The principle is still the same though. Try to imagine the middle of food and eat to the middle.

Is the container cylindrical? Or is it tapered? While I understand that after eating the entire container, the calories consumed, will be correct.... I'd be concerned that I wasn't getting a correct 'portion' each time.... That is.... I'd kinda wanna know that I was getting my correct 'share' each serving. Not that I'm anal or OCD or anything. OK, maybe I am. But, I think the OP probably is, too....

luckily when im cooking with my nieces and nephews and were learning about fractions they dont question me on the tapered effect :grumble:

Well, see... because they are smart enough or naive enough to not sweat the small stuff. Ice cream is ice cream. It's not like they are counting the freakin' calories, or anything. :wink:

Now, if you're spooning it into bowls, and they notice one kid appears to be getting more than they are.... THEN, you got trouble.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Has OP figured out how to measure her ice cream yet?

Cups - yes, press it down when measuring (I have a 17 year-old at home, and am constantly surprised at the number of things he does not know. Not his fault, just not learned yet).

Better yet, you know how many grams are in a serving, right? Set bowl on scale, tare (zero it out). Add ice cream until desired level of ice cream weight has been achieved.

Eat. Rinse. Repeat. Until pint is gone.

And just for you, a pic that has nothing to do with anything. Really.

2crx91j.jpg
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    The calories in, calories myth is just that -- a myth. If you want to stuff yourself, do it with spinach or something you enjoy that's actually good for you. Will you gain weight? You may and you may not. You have to eat 3500 calories to gain a pound if you believe in calorie math. But the "real" question is, why over indulge in something bad for you instead of quality food?

You can make healthy ice cream. But ice cream is to be enjoyed sparingly. If you're just pigging out this one time, it won't kill you and you probably won't gain weight. But if you do it often, that's another story.

...okay then

These ice cream threads continue to deliver
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    E5YgiZM.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    E5YgiZM.gif

I like how she plays with that

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Your seriousness is destroying the entertainment value of this absurd thread for me. :drinker:
  • pierrena
    Options
    "Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity."
    John F. Kennedy

My Middle Age Nutrition And Fitness Lifestyle Change
    http://bit.ly/Jdfdd8
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

Your seriousness is destroying the entertainment value of this absurd thread for me. :drinker:

Ha ha, sorry. I decided the OP wasn't trolling. But for you:

monorail-cat-funny-animal-gif1.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What exactly is unhealthy (as in bad for you) about ice cream pray tell.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

In for how ice cream kills.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Now, if you're spooning it into bowls, and they notice one kid appears to be getting more than they are.... THEN, you got trouble.

big time
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

In for how ice cream kills.

like the black widow silent with great seduction