Ready for the New Year Resolution's gym attack?

Options
The gym is going to be really rough for the next few weeks........

Replies

• spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My gym doesn't really reopen properly for another two weeks. But I'm into group fitness classes. They are staggering the classes returning since shutting down the week before Christmas.

It probably does depend on where you go and the sort of gym it is as to how attractive it will look to those people setting up their New Year's Resolutions. A boring old community centre gym like I go to isn't going to be overrun with too many extras.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Yeah maybe.

But there have already been threads on this...

Be nice to them, you were new once.
    And you join date is about the same time as resolutioners (as is mine - 1/2/12).

If you cant be nice, find another time to go so its less crowded. Or work out at home if you can (jealous of you have a gym in your house)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    How about spending some extra time there and helping some of the Resolutioners, as you call them. Then maybe they will stick with it and become regulars and next year they can complain also. We all started somewhere.
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    everybody has to start somewhere.

So, yeah. I'm ready :)
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yeah maybe.

And you join date is about the same time as resolutioners (as is mine - 1/2/12).

If you cant be nice, find another time to go so its less crowded. Or work out at home if you can (jealous of you have a gym in your house)

So that means I can't post my own? And I never said I would be mean to anyone. Also my join date on here, doesn't represent the time I started working out.
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    My gym reopens tomorrow morning at 6.15am ... and I can't wait ... if there are newbies there are newbies I'm sure I'll still be able to get a good workout.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    everybody has to start somewhere.

So, yeah. I'm ready :)

I have nothing against people who are seriously dedicated. But in my experience the gym gets super crowded & everyone just sits on the machines not doing anything, playing with their phones, choosing songs on their ipods. Seriously dedicated people get all my respect.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    How about spending some extra time there and helping some of the Resolutioners, as you call them. Then maybe they will stick with it and become regulars and next year they can complain also. We all started somewhere.

Not a paid trainer, sorry.
  • Liiinas
    Liiinas Posts: 15
    Options
    Why are people complaining about a busy gyms in january? I'm happy for all the people trying to become healthier and I will meet them with a smile and a helping hand.
  • smkean
    smkean Posts: 132
    Options
    It's ok, the gym is always full to the brim this time of year. By valentines day the majority will have 'thrown the towel in'
    I go to the work gym, Sony just change my lunch time to the afternoon in between normal lunch and home time, it's so much quieter, and there are less shrieking girlies in their packs who, honestly, don't need to be in there, and have taken it up as a new year resolution with their friends and don't intend on keeping it :p

On the plus side, it is usually the best time to find someone new to become a gym buddy!
  • nyla2120
    Options
    It's ok, the gym is always full to the brim this time of year. By valentines day the majority will have 'thrown the towel in'
    I go to the work gym, Sony just change my lunch time to the afternoon in between normal lunch and home time, it's so much quieter, and there are less shrieking girlies in their packs who, honestly, don't need to be in there, and have taken it up as a new year resolution with their friends and don't intend on keeping it :p

Yeah I try to go first thing in the morning before work like 6-7am. Hopefully most people will be working out later on in the day.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Frustrating that the gym will be full, but Gym > Couch so welcome! :smile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I recently bought my own weights so I won't be enjoying the New Years Resolution bump. Just remember that it only lasts until mid-February and if some of those resolutionists stick with it and become awesome then that's a win.

Pro-tip from last year-- most newbies won't be there in the early afternoon. For some reason. (I've heard at other gyms it's first thing in the morning but mine is always packed from 5-7 a.m.)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I was a newbie last January. Hopefully there are one or two in this year's group of newbies who have the success there in 2014 that I had in 2013.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Why are people complaining about a busy gyms in january? I'm happy for all the people trying to become healthier and I will meet them with a smile and a helping hand.

I'm very happy for people who want to be healthier in the new year. People like that I don't consider to new year resolutioners, I consider them to be people making a real lifestyle change. There is a huge difference.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options

On the plus side, it is usually the best time to find someone new to become a gym buddy!

You at SCEE?
  • smkean
    smkean Posts: 132
    Options
    Your lucky, I would love to start that early! Have a 4 year old who would strongly disagree though lol!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Well, I have social anxiety so the more crowded it is the more anxious I get. I also imagine it's frustrating for people who have worked all day to have to wait in line for equipment that they can usually use with no issues.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Ours started getting packed about 2 weeks ago. That's fine, as long as an arc-trainer is free. Treadmills have been packed. The arc-trainer is definitely more intimidating.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Yeah maybe.

So that means I can't post my own? And I never said I would be mean to anyone. Also my join date on here, doesn't represent the time I started working out.

You're a peach.

Get off the high horse.
    A lot of the 'resolutioners' dont know what they're doing in regards how to use the machines or gym etiquette. So if it bothers you so much, help them. Even though you aren't a paid trainer. Itll take a few minutes out of your day and make your gym time more tolerable once they learn