CNN article: 10 Reasons To Give Up Diet Soda

Options

Replies

• eriamjh
    eriamjh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's all unsubstantiated bunk.

Drink it in moderation and everything is fine. You won't magically gain weight from it. You'd gain weight if you ate something else to compensate. Confused body? It might make you crave real sugar, but it won't make you eat it. Your weakness makes you eat it.

The soda-side itself is the worst: bad for calcium absorption and your teeth. OK. I'll give you that.

Otherwise, there's no need to spread FUD.

It's better to state things such as "Water is better for you" than to just state that diet soda is bad for you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Oh yeah, lets give a BLOG a cute little important sounding name and every one believe it. RME

Funny thing is, most people refuse to believe all that crap is bad for you until something bad happens to them.

I have an auto immune disease, if I drink a diet soda my pain levels go from a 3 to an 8. No one can convince me that that crap is not bad for you when it gives me pain.

But of course if all you people are worried about is the way you look, carry on.

Science based medicine is more than just a blog. It's well respected, written by doctors and research scientists, and it always sources its information.

I have an autoimmune disease too and diet soda makes no difference for me.

It's quite a leap to assume that we're only worried about the way we look.
  • Jinxy10236
    Options
    Read the article, the website is listed below if you want to know the explanations given for each of the 10 reasons why. I'm not spreading FUD (whatever that is), just sharing what I read this morning and thought it would be helpful/useful for some folks.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Just an informational post, you can do with it what you'd like.
    Then what I will do with it is laugh at it. "Science".:ohwell:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Read the article, the website is listed below if you want to know the explanations given for each of the 10 reasons why. I'm not spreading FUD (whatever that is), just sharing what I read this morning and thought it would be helpful/useful for some folks.
    So, if you don't know what it is, how can you know you're not spreading it?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Oh yeah, lets give a BLOG a cute little important sounding name and every one believe it. RME

It's a very good blog, actually.

Would you prefer to see peer reviewed evidence?

Funny thing is, most people refuse to believe all that crap is bad for you until something bad happens to them.

I have an auto immune disease, if I drink a diet soda my pain levels go from a 3 to an 8. No one can convince me that that crap is not bad for you when it gives me pain.

If I have an allergy to peanuts, peanuts can be very very bad for me. This doesn't mean peanuts are bad for everyone.
    But of course if all you people are worried about is the way you look, carry on.

I care about health and performance more than appearance.

It sounds like diet soda causes you some problems. That doesn't mean diet soda is universally harmful.

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408440701516184
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Why would I take advice from a dog?!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

you people?
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I'm not a pop drinker so it just doesn't matter to me,
    carry on.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I'm not a pop drinker so it just doesn't matter to me,
    carry on.
    :angry: Me neither. I drink coke. Diet Dr. Pepper and Coke Zero, usually.
  • WSG88
    WSG88 Posts: 13
    Options
    I only drink one a day, so I think I should be okay lol
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I only drink one a day, so I think I should be okay lol

Nope you gonna die. :flowerforyou:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I agree that diet soda is not "good" for you. But for me, it is helpful sometimes. So that's why I won't be giving it up. Some people may need to give it up....I don't doubt it can cause problems. And yeah, I do also think artificial sweeteners are not good.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

My daughter has a dairy intolerance. If she has dairy it causes her pain/she gets sick. That doesn't mean dairy is bad. Just because diet soda effects you negatively doesn't mean that it's bad, or that everyone has negative effects from it. I drink a lot of diet soda and I've never had any problems with it and I'm very healthy/no problems or health conditions at all. If drinking diet soda has a negative effect on you then sure, don't drink it. But don't project that onto other people who have no problems with it. That would be like my daughter telling everyone they shouldn't consume dairy anymore, because of how it affects her. Doesn't make sense.
  • Niccidawn092
    Niccidawn092 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Why would I take advice from a dog?!

LMAO! This just made my morning.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    NO.

Not even one of those "reasons" is valid.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

That 'blog' actually refers to, and links studies, which is more than the one in the OP does. You may want to look at these 'blogs' more carefully before you dismiss them.

You have an auto immune disease. Most other people do not. It does not counteract the 'blog'. Some people get a headache with cheese - does not mean it is harmful.

Also, please do not assume things about people. The 'you people' comment is ridiculous. Stop projecting.
  • wayander
    wayander Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ruin your smile??????
  • Verrine135
    Options
    I'm fairly certain that the fizzy part is messing with my tooth enamel and the brown coloring stains them. Plus, it would be a lot better for the environment and my finances if I stopped. But, I'm an addict.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda before Thanksgiving because I have ridiculously sensitive teeth and am very prone to enamel loss. I also tend to take forever to drink a soda, so it seemed like a good move. Other than headaches and crankiness the first few days from lack of caffeine, I feel exactly the same now as I did when I was drinking it.