Cleanse

Options
13»

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Um, I'm back because I always start off the new year by regrouping on my health habits. BTW, I quit MFP for a while because I hit my goal and I have been maintaining. I gained 10 lbs over the past two years and would like to get it off again. So, I've not failed anything and not starting over needing lose 100 lbs or something crazy. Chill out people. This is why I quit using the forums in the first place last time I was here. Soooo much negativity. Almost makes ya wonder if you're all going about things wrong yourselves. So many of you are negative, sarcastic and just seemingly unhappy. weird. I'd like to maybe lost 15 this before summer. No big deal.

As I tell my six-year-old, "a person isn't 'being mean to you' if they are simply telling you something you don't want to hear."
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    lol...I never said anyway was "being mean to me". I stated that a lot of you are awful sarcastic and negative. There are simple ways to answer on message boards without letting your massive egos get in the way. Believe me, I can handle it, I just find it amusing that the people I hang with at the gym are always upbeat and positive. Many of the folks in these forums are the polar opposite. I just find it strange...that's all. Peace...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    lol...I never said anyway was "being mean to me". I stated that a lot of you are awful sarcastic and negative. There are simple ways to answer on message boards without letting your massive egos get in the way. Believe me, I can handle it, I just find it amusing that the people I hang with at the gym are always upbeat and positive. Many of the folks in these forums are the polar opposite. I just find it strange...that's all. Peace...

I wasn't sarcastic or negative and I laid out a well-reasoned reply as to why detoxes aren't necessary.

You can also find a good link to sciencebasedmedicine a few posts up.

You can also find another good write up here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses

Respectfully, if you read this information and choose to disregard it, and choose to believe that the idea of a detox is still necessary, beneficial, or desirable, I would ask you who is the one with the ego getting in the way?

Do you think it's likely that everyone else is wrong, and you are correct? Or do you think it's more likely that you're incorrect and the information you're being provided with (note: not the sarcasm, the actual information) is actually good advice?

You received good advice among the sarcasm and thus far you've chosen to ignore it. I would like to know why.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If you're after the psychological click of a "cleanse", why not do something like:

-replace all soda in your diet with water or a mix of seltzer and fruit juice
    -drink nothing but water or tea for XXX days
    -eat nothing that comes out of a can, box, or foil bag for XXX days
    -sit down and plan meals for an entire week that both fit your macros AND in your calorie goal. bonus points for combining this with the above
    -make yourself some ridiculous high-protein spinach smoothie for breakfast every day for a week

or something else along those lines, that will not only have an effect (unlike a cleanse), but give you the satisfaction of knowing that you did something concrete to jumpstart your year.
  • jjblogs
    Options
    If you're after the psychological click of a "cleanse", why not do something like:

-replace all soda in your diet with water or a mix of seltzer and fruit juice
    -drink nothing but water or tea for XXX days
    -eat nothing that comes out of a can, box, or foil bag for XXX days
    -sit down and plan meals for an entire week that both fit your macros AND in your calorie goal. bonus points for combining this with the above
    -make yourself some ridiculous high-protein spinach smoothie for breakfast every day for a week

or something else along those lines, that will not only have an effect (unlike a cleanse), but give you the satisfaction of knowing that you did something concrete to jumpstart your year.

Good ideas....thank you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Um, I'm back because I always start off the new year by regrouping on my health habits. BTW, I quit MFP for a while because I hit my goal and I have been maintaining. I gained 10 lbs over the past two years and would like to get it off again. So, I've not failed anything and not starting over needing lose 100 lbs or something crazy. Chill out people. This is why I quit using the forums in the first place last time I was here. Soooo much negativity. Almost makes ya wonder if you're all going about things wrong yourselves. So many of you are negative, sarcastic and just seemingly unhappy. weird. I'd like to maybe lost 15 this before summer. No big deal.
    Okay so you have been maintaining, but gained 10lbs. If I'm wrong, doesn't maintaining mean keeping the weight off? If we're being honest here, what happened is that you consumed more calories than you needed to and gained weight. So how to remedy it? By eating in calorie deficit. There's no need to "cleanse" anything. Just reduce your intake.
    And it has nothing to do with negativity. It just seems that you choose to believe pseudoscience over actual science.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    So your gym buddies are "cleansing" or are talking about "cleanses" all in a positive manner? If so, then they aren't well versed in physiology. Again, it's not about being negative, it's about giving CORRECT information. If that bothers you, then maybe you can't handle it as well as you think.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

The only reason you're calling anyone "negative" is because we're disagreeing with you, which, again, doesn't actually make anyone here negative. It's also worth mentioning that the person who made it personal was you - everyone else was speaking to why cleanses are a waste of time and unnecessary.

You've been given lots of good information rooted in research from people who actually have training and experience in the field. If you choose to ignore the data, that's on you. I doubt anyone is going to be losing sleep over what you choose to do or the opinion of someone who is supposedly in maintenance, goes to the gym regularly, but didn't notice she was gaining weight until she had packed on 10 lbs.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    So sick of these threads..people need to grasp an understanding of nutrition and stop looking for an easy way out
  • holly_bear
    Options
    Wow...

I am just starting again....and was looking on the threads and came across this one.

I see a two things....

some people giving advice and facts in a respectful way.....

and others just being mean about it. I do not know anyone here but from first glance at this thread I felt bad for the OP because she asked a simple question..... and people were just being rude about it. It is very clear who was is being respectful here and who is just being rude.

There is a way to voice your opinion and be respectful at the same time.

It is just kinda silly.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Um... So you gain 5 or 6 lbs every year, and every couple of years do a cleanse and then diet the weight back off again? That's not success. Success is learning to maintain. There are many members here who have stayed active so they can log their calories and maintain their weight. Maybe you might want to try that this time.
  • jjblogs
    Options
    Holly Bear...ignore them. Their egos are through the roof, and they have no idea how to conduct a conversation without being condescending and sarcastic. They assume and project and have no idea what they're talking about in regard to my own situation. Someone suggested that my friends at the gym are positive about cleanses...well, I never even said that. Lol. I said, they were positive people who conducted their conversation in a positive way.

I'm not saying people are negative because they disagree with cleanses. I have no problem with that comment. I'm not sold on them either. It's the *way* they state their responses. Jack *kitten* come to mind. A few were very helpful as they suggested alternatives. Big thank you to those folks, and I've already started using some of those suggestions.

I'll stay clear of the forums...don't need them anyway. I gained 10 lbs in 2 years. So what. I'll easily lose it in a few months through clean eating and exercise. I asked a simple question, and I don't need the negativity. Good luck in 2014 with all your goals. Some of you might try making a resolution about changing your attitudes. If you want to be helpful, being nasty isn't going to convince anyone that you know what you're talking about. Peace....