Anyone go to Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    When I went there, I did mostly cardio- lots of time on their elipticals and treadmills-- but I missed the classes, so I switched.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I've gained about 30 pounds of muscle using two that are local to me. While they would not be my first choice if there were better alternatives, trust me when I say you can achieve results there unless you are in that 1-2% that are looking to lift VERY heavy or do some very specific training.

Then you're a member at one of those outliers. Don't think I could live on dumbbells that top out at like 60lbs.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Don't know much about PF myself. I like nice equipment, so I'm not a fan of dropping weights either. If some jack-wagon sounded a "lunk alarm" at the gym I go to, they would likely have 2-3 very nice gentlemen stuff them into the tractor tire that we throw around and roll them outside for a "time out"... :noway:

I'm just sayin'... :tongue:

I'm not a fan of dropping weights either. That said, you know what happens when you actually push yourself in the gym? You sometimes find the point where you fail. You know what happens then? You tend to drop the weights. It happens.

RE: Pizza - it's an awesome post-lifting recovery food. Carbs and protein (fats, too) all wrapped into one easy-to-eat slice.
  • pittsjg
    pittsjg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not a fan, they definitely don't seem to like cleans and deadlifts, I learned that the hard way. To each their own I guess, but to me it seems a little counter productive to "outlaw" functional exercises if done correctly or safely, but if people are that intimidated by guys like me training hard, I guess its good for them to have a place to go and do something.

I wouldn't go, but again, I don't think I'm their indented target customer (in fact I was told that exact same thing by a manager). Funny thing is, you can learn allot from the guys who are training hard because many of us are very passionate and don't mind explaining things to someone who is willing to put in the work and wants to get results. I've learned allot from different successful men and woman over the years, by just training around them, and learning (also shutting up long enough to hear what they have to say).

Something is always better then nothing though, to each there own
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I wish I could. There aren't any close enough to me that I know I'd go every day. I have friends and family who go, though, and they love it. Inexpensive, good equipment, clean facility. Just don't drop any weights. ;)
  • pittsjg
    pittsjg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Uh oh, sound the "lunk" alarm somebody is being passionate about strength and fitness!!! Funny how the ones who are scared of being judged by others while working out are so fast to judge others while working out. its a crazy world...
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When deadlifts are arguably vs squats the best exercise to do and they don't want people doing them it makes me wonder... I make noise when I'm deadlifting and nobody wants to hear weights making noise at a gym!
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If you're going for help with weight loss, or maybe for some cardio health then it's great!!

But, if you're aiming to look like an Olympic god/goddess, then according to popular belief, you'll have to go somewhere else :frown:

Myself, I go to Planet Fitness and I love mine!!! I've also left gobs of fat there too, a total of 60lbs worth :wink:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not a fan, they definitely don't seem to like cleans and deadlifts, I learned that the hard way. To each their own I guess, but to me it seems a little counter productive to "outlaw" functional exercises if done correctly or safely, but if people are that intimidated by guys like me training hard, I guess its good for them to have a place to go and do something.

I wouldn't go, but again, I don't think I'm their indented target customer (in fact I was told that exact same thing by a manager). Funny thing is, you can learn allot from the guys who are training hard because many of us are very passionate and don't mind explaining things to someone who is willing to put in the work and wants to get results. I've learned allot from different successful men and woman over the years, by just training around them, and learning (also shutting up long enough to hear what they have to say).

Something is always better then nothing though, to each there own

the-rock-clapping.gif
  • 40goneby40
    40goneby40 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I go and I love it. $10/month is by far the cheapest around. True, there are not a ton of heavy weights there, but there are a ton of cardio machines, and plenty of mats for sit ups, push ups and burpees! :smile:
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I dress like I'm going to planet fitness, I don't own any muscle shirts, just muscles.

Can't have people fat-shaming the overweight by displaying their physiques at the gym.

I expect people to be in shape at my gym, hell its motivation... the people who always come here are HUGE, I should come here lots too! Guess that logic is lost on the planetfitness folks.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Couldn't wrap my head around the pizza or the lunk alarm.

This and the stupid tootsie rolls. Huh? Anyhow, I go to use the cardio when I'm on vacation or the weekends, as I have a great gym, literally, at work. I use the leg press and pull down, free weights and that's about it. It's clean and close, and better than nothing!
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Went for a bit last year and was flabbergasted by the pizza thing. Ingenious, really.

Anyway I was fine on the elliptical for a bit. Then I tried biking and found that I couldn't comfortably fit on any of the bikes. And there were no other options for cardio (eg, stairs, rowing, etc). Yet it was a huge space.

Then later when I got to weightlifting I realised there was no squat rack. And their dumbbells top out at 90 or 100 I think. Finally, I learned about their ridiculous rules and bristling hostility toward bodybuilders. Definitely not the place for me.

Hard to beat $10 a month though. Or $15 with no commitment.

Right I pay $40 month to month at another place and its worth every penny so far. Much smaller space yet far great diversity of machines and much better amenities.

When budget allows, I hope to graduate to a place with a pool. Love swimming but haven't done it in years.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I just signed up presale, $10/mo - no committment. I have a $10/mo membership at another gym which I plan to keep. Since it has an extensive strength training area. Downside, it only has about 20 treadmills (during peak hours this can be a true annoyance and if you go with a buddy its impossible to get machines next to one another). Planet Fitness is 24 hours, 7 days a week and endless cardio machines (microscopic weight area).
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the PF, at least that's what I am getting from the comments here.

I've belonged to PF for almost 6 years. The one I belong to has oodles of cardio equipment, plenty of free weights and a lot of other machines to work out on if you aren't into free weights.

They do have pizza night the first Monday of the month and bagel morning the second Tuesday of the month. I am out of there by the time the pizza comes, and honestly, the only reason I don't eat it is because I know that all those grubby hands that are grabbing pieces haven't been washed first and that's just ick to me. I don't work out in the mornings, so the bagel thing isn't an issue either (though I can't eat bagels anyways because they give me heartburn).

I'm not sure why people have problems with the tootsie rolls. They are very low in calories and are delicious!

My PF is very clean, the staff is super friendly and they greet me by name every day when I get there.

I guess I'm not considered a "serious" gym goer because I don't lift heavy. That's okay. I've belonged to several other gyms in the past. None were as clean or well run as the PF I belong to. None of them had the friendly employees that my PF has. None of them were nearly as inexpensive to belong to as my PF. So I am happy there, if you chose not to join, that's no skin off my nose.
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So I am happy there, if you chose not to join, that's no skin off my nose.
    I would hope not. Why would it be? What an odd thing to say.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i do 24hour, mostly because of the child care hours are awsome at mine.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Uh oh, sound the "lunk" alarm somebody is being passionate about strength and fitness!!! Funny how the ones who are scared of being judged by others while working out are so fast to judge others while working out. its a crazy world...
    This. Don't look fit around those people because it might make them 'feel' bad. I think PF tries to appeal to the "Participation Trophy" generation.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    No barbell = no deal.
    Smith machines and no squat rack = useless and dangerous (oh the irony)
    pizza and bagels = WTH? Isn't there enough temptation around?

Going to a gym that you can afford instead of not = fine. If you must.

I would look for a local (non-chain) place if one is around. My gym costs $10.27 a month. Its relatively small and there are no showers (and no pool of course) which is disappointing, but the people are friendly, the equipment is nice, the price is right, and my money is supporting a local business.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    So I am happy there, if you chose not to join, that's no skin off my nose.
    I would hope not. Why would it be? What an odd thing to say.

Not if you're educated on idioms...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/no_skin_off_one's_nose