goal reached 362# lost in 17 months no surgery

Options
t1954
t1954 Posts: 81 Member
I am no rookie or stranger to gaining weight, losing weight, failed attempts, and paying for the same real estate over and over again. I have tried it all except for "the surgery". I really never had any problem losing it. Keeping it off has been my Achilles heal.

This is my story. I woke up on July 27, 2012 and decided enough is enough. I had to do something about my weight problem. I found MFP and quickly joined the website. After that, I logged in every day and recorded my food.

I lost 282# in the first 52 weeks. I did this with no tricks, no surgery, no supplements, no energy bars or drinks, no shots just pure old fashioned willpower and exercise. I joined a gym on December 24, 2012. Currently, I am there about 4-5 times a week. I probably broke all the rules. I eat about 1,000 calories a day. I eat three times a day with snacks. I have skipped meals when I am not hungry especially on the weekends when I am busy. I weigh myself every day. I visit my personal physician every 30 days. He monitors my progress and draws blood about every 60 days during the first 12 months.

In the past 17 months I haven’t had one bite of fast food, pizza, junky sweets or beer. I can’t say as I miss it. I am posting this for the people out there who get discouraged or have a substantial amount to lose. You can do it. You have to be determined. Don’t get distracted by outside influences. I decided I would set aside one year of my life to really concentrate on my problem. I am 59 years old. If I can do it, you can do it. Everyone is amazed at my results. Are the results typical? I doubt it. Did I lose it too fast? The answer is probably. Are my Dr. and I pleased with the results? The answer is absolutely.

Total loss as of today is 362#. I had a doctor appointment last week and my doctor has advised me to give my body a chance to catch up with the changes from the past 17 months. He feels I am at a good weight for me. I think by the charts I am considered overweight but at 6'3" I have no problem carrying my current weight. My wife has wanted me to stop for some time. She feels I am too thin. I think it is the drastic change and she is adjusting to it. Either way I am going to take a stab at maintenance. It is my intention to continue logging and weighing every day to monitor my progress. I am very determined not to start gaining weight and giving back all of the hard work. As I transition to maintenance, I can honestly say I never had a cheat meal, cheat day, or exceeded my calories or ever strayed from the same determination I had from day one. The payoff was a 362# weight loss in 17 months. I recently had to have emergency hernia surgery. I was released with no restrictions after three weeks. No doubt a tribute to my level of fitness and the weight loss.

# 1 photo-July 2012
#2 photo-July 2013
#3 photo-October 2013
#4 photo-December 2013
#5 photo-December 2013

beforejpg_zpscd1ceea7.png

photo_zpsd9a653e5.jpg

7aebee30-985f-4cbc-b01b-e29b384666f7_zpsfe0c9d30.jpg

photo_zps7ba602a7.jpg

photo2_zpscba2d7f1.jpg

Replies

• Lindsikin
    Lindsikin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You sir, are a true inspiration. Congratulations and thank you for your story. :)
  • jpads1234
    jpads1234 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AbigailWins
    Options
    You need to buy new clothes now the ones in the last photo look way too big on you! Congratulations. What an amazing achievement, you deserve to be proud of yourself. Thank you for posting.
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    There are no words to describe your accomplishment! Way to go! And thanks for sharing with everyone what can be achieved with hard work and dedication.

God bless,
    Karen
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    A true inspiration for those who think it can't be done! Thanks for sharing and you will most likely help more people than you know with your story.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing transformation. Enjoy maintenance (and the extra calories it will provide you).

Happy New Year!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Wowza; that's hard work and dedication! Congratulations!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    You are a man to be proud of.

Yes, take your wife with you and treat yourself to a new wardrobe.
  • 100toloose
    100toloose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What kind of a person are you? Very goal oriented! Very nicely done! Wow.. I dont think I have ever seen anyone losing that much weight ins much short time period!
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Simply amazing. Congradulations!
  • CulturedCowgurl
    CulturedCowgurl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am speechless!!! U did amazing and look great.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You are looking lean and handsome and it is why I call you superman!!! I know from personal experience that you are not only determined, motivated and strong, but you are a kind and generous human being who practices a wonderful way of life, with a kind heart and spirit!!!!

Thanks so much for motivating me today!!!
  • Gettinghealthysarah
    Options
    Wow! SO Awesome! You should be so proud of yourself it is truly amazing!!!!!
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    This is a phenomenal accomplishment! Way to go!
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Fascinating! :drinker:
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Just amazing. Speechless...
  • kmclamb13
    kmclamb13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You have done a fantastic job!Way to go!
  • FaithInAes
    FaithInAes Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You look beyond incredible! Congratulations on your amazing transformation! Such inspiration!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look beyond amazing. Thanks for sharing your story and pics. You are a true inspiration to those of us that need to lose a considerable amount of weight. Thanks for showing us that it can be done w/out surgery.
  • emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    wowow so very super !! can't believe all the pix are you. you have done such am amazing job !!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!