Toast for breakfast

Options

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Any particular reason why you people eat breakfast? I am assuming all of you are trying to lose weight.

Your body doesn't need the calories, and when you wake up you are actually burning fat.

Immediately eat carbs in the morning and you shut that process down.

What is your rationale?
    You're an odd duck. Every post comes across rather... contrarian.

I eat breakfast because:
    I'm fueling my body and my work outs.
    I wake up hungry
    I like breakfast
    Eating breakfast works for me.

Well, I am not the one trying to lose weight.
    You wake up with an empty stomach? Doesn't mean you have to eat.
    Eating breakfast is simply more calories that your body doesn't need.
    You have plenty of fuel on board for any type of workout that you might want to do.
    If you are overweight, eating breakfast is NOT working for you, it is working against you.
    So why do you do it?
    Now THAT is odd.

How on earth is it MORE calories? Most of on this site know what our calorie goal is for the day. It can be divided in countless ways. If I eat breakfast, I've used a certain number of calories and now have fewer calories for lunch and dinner. If you do not eat breakfast, you have a larger amount of calories to divide between lunch and dinner. Or snacks. Or drinks. Or whatever. The total doesn't change. Just because I'm eating breakfast doesn't mean that I'm going over my calorie goal. For me personally, it actually means I have a much better chance of staying under or at my calorie goal. I'm not adding anything to my numbers just because I'm eating one meal more than you are. I'm just dividing it into more pieces.
  • lizj0nes21
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for all of the replied so far! I've added a lot of ideas to my food list from you guys :)

As for "eating breakfast is bad and makes you gain weight", that's just plain ridiculous. It's not so much what/when you eat as how much you eat and how many calories. Just because it's called breakfast doesn't mean it's going to be bad for you. Being over weight is caused by over eating. Simple.

And I didn't realize that by simply asking what others had for breakfast to give me ideas would lead to somebody ranting about the meal itself. That's okay though, I needed a good laugh today ;)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    You wake up with an empty stomach? Doesn't mean you have to eat.
    Eating breakfast is simply more calories that your body doesn't need.
    You have plenty of fuel on board for any type of workout that you might want to do.
    If you are overweight, eating breakfast is NOT working for you, it is working against you.
    So why do you do it?
    Now THAT is odd.

So at what point does one get to eat, or are you just advocating stopping eating until down to goal weight.

I've heard some ridiculous suggestions, but this starts to take the proverbial...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's actually funny because I never had breakfast when I was obese (or rarely). Now I do, but I eat less the rest of the day too.

It's basic logic really.
  • DBubbs
    DBubbs Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    3 egg whites with low-fat cheese and salsa, a roma tomato, and 16oz coffee with peppermint mocha creamer.
    I have eggs almost everyday; it is a main source of protein for me.
  • Coral_mist
    Options
    I had two scrambled eggs with 1/2 cup of Green Giant Valley Selections - Asian Blend-fibre mixed in after scrambling.( I like Franks red hot sauce so I poured a little on top) With a piece of Silver Hills sprouted grain bread toasted.
    The calories is 340 with the toast only 240 if I opt out of toast. I really like this breakfast because I am so busy during the week and I need a breakfast that will keep me full for hours it is usually 5-6 hours sometimes before I am able to eat again. With what I do I cannot just stop to have a bite. So this is my favourite :)
  • MurrayElliot
    MurrayElliot Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    160-200 cals for breakfast for me (52 yr old male, 152lb, eating 1200 calories a day). I'll generally have cereal with semi-skimmed milk and a cup of tea. Other typical breakfasts include - fat free yoghurt and some fruit, or boiled egg and a single slice of wholemeal toast.

My balance is roughly:
    200 - breakfast
    300 - lunch
    500 - dinner
    200 - snacks/tea during the day.
  • lizj0nes21
    Options
    3 egg whites with low-fat cheese and salsa, a roma tomato, and 16oz coffee with peppermint mocha creamer.
    I have eggs almost everyday; it is a main source of protein for me.

Peppermint mocha creamer sounds absolutely to die for.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I normally eat 1 packet of instant oatmeal made with water with some dried fruit, chia seeds, flax seeds and watermelon or pumpkin seeds mixed in. Under 400 calories, depending on how much of the add-ins I add in and very filling. Normally I'll add some sugar free soymilk to drink and I'm full straight through lunch.
  • tricias42
    tricias42 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I make veggie frittata in muffin tins. Using the recipe feature it tells me two of these are one serving and total approximately 207 calories. I also have a half cup of fruit and coffee, black. I am usually under 300 calories but my total daily calorie allowance is 1290. I have been logging my food and slight exercise for 5 days and have lost 5 pounds. Slow and steady. I think you are doing great!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    today i had 2 eggs sunny side up, 1/2 a gluten free bagel, 2% fat greek yogurt and reduced sugar rasberry jam = 430 calories

:laugh: i see some of you all are taking the bait from that anti-breakfast poster. considering that all their spam threads get closed, they're relegated to posting in breakfast threads :laugh:
    Other than being a contrarian, I can't figure out what his propaganda is.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    My breakfast this week is 1 egg + 4 whites cooked in ghee, chicken, mushrooms, capsicum cooked in tomato purée with herbs and spices as a sauce, fresh spinach, coriander and homemade mayo. I have a coffee with gelatin and coconut oil blended through.

My breakfast is always protein based, with fat - It wouldn't last more than about 2minutes otherwise! I rarely eat toast or cereal, I think they're a waste of macros!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is always protein based, with fat - It wouldn't last more than about 2minutes otherwise! I rarely eat toast or cereal, I think they're a waste of macros!

Strangely, if I have a protein heavy breakfast; bacon, eggs, sausage etc I'm in need of something else after a couple of hours. If I have cereal and yoghurt or toast and hummus that'll do me for at least four hours.
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I had two pieces of sara lee 45 calorie whole wheat bread with scrambled eggs and half an avocado in the middle totaling 390 cals. It was delicious.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I have light rye bread, 1 piece only. I don't like to have too much bread per day even if it isn't white.

This morning I had a piece of light rye toasted, a slither of margarine, 105gms of baked beans & a fried egg (fried with cooking spray).

Total calories: 259
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, but it appears I consume a lot more calories than you.

Usually pancakes, bacon or sausage, and a protein shake (I work out early in the morning typically).

On the weekends sometimes I just have cereal.

This weekend I had some biscuits and gravy with sausage.

Sorry, I eat a lot.
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    2 slices of white toast wouldn't hold me over for more than an hour (and i get that it's the only bread you had to eat, so you ate it!)
    I have learned that protein is really great for me in the morning.

Usually I get up, make a coffee (Giant flat white with 300ml skim milk & water & coffee pod) - then get my babes out of bed and give them a cup of milk. I have 1 year old twin girls.

I blink at the light, separate their squabbles, drink my coffee then get their breakfast organised. I supervise while they eat, then clean up, and by then they need their 1st nap.

THEN I have breakfast.
    Today was 309 calories, including my jug of coffee.

1x wholemeal toast
    1xegg fried in oil spray
    42 g lean bacon (ww brand was marked down)
    300ml skim milk with coffee
    1x small sliced tomato
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I had shredded chicken with caesar dressing on corn thins. Yum.
  • RunningMs
    RunningMs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I made a big batch of Muffin Pan omelettes and had 2 for breakfast; along with a piece of toast with Vegemite.
  • AppleGrapeMSTK
    AppleGrapeMSTK Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I either eat oatmeal with peanut butter, poached eggs and bacon, or have a protein shake. I only drink coffee after breakfast if I'm getting hungry before lunch.