• M______
    M______ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    3 poached eggs, avocado and some turkey - around 700 cals

Or oatmeal, chia seeds with loads of berries - 500 odd cals
  • ummsmiley
    ummsmiley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think protein in the am is super important. Helps you from crashing later or get overly hungry. It's also been shown to help with concentration. Anywho, I like to mix it up so I don't get board.
    Omelet using egg beaters, spinache, cheddar cheese, salsa and low fat sour cream
    Protein shakes with almond milk
    Oatmeal with a mashed banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter swirled in
    Mini wheats
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I always have Fage Greek Yogurt. I get the new already blended with fruit kind (fruyo), but this is after years of eating the plain 2% with a packet of Splenda mixed in.

Ill usually have a cup of green tea or maybe a banana with it.

Fage Fruyo- 140 cals, 14g protein, 20g carbs, 0g fat
    Green tea- 0 cals

Damn, my life is boring.
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    I generally have 2x slices of wholemeal grain toast with tomato and avocado. And a soy latte. I can't do sweet breakfasts, and I eat at work, so anything fruity or complicated is not for me! If I don't have tomato or avo on hand then I just have vegemite instead. But tomato/avo keeps me full until lunch time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just had meatload for breakfast. It was awesome.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I almost always have some kind of whole grain cereal with dried fruit and soy milk (today it was Fruit and Hazelnut Special K) with black coffee and water.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    And I didn't realize that by simply asking what others had for breakfast to give me ideas would lead to somebody ranting about the meal itself. That's okay though, I needed a good laugh today ;)

Welcome to MFP. :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • randomtai
    Options
    I think protein in the am is super important. Helps you from crashing later or get overly hungry. It's also been shown to help with concentration. Anywho, I like to mix it up so I don't get board.
    Omelet using egg beaters, spinache, cheddar cheese, salsa and low fat sour cream
    Protein shakes with almond milk
    Oatmeal with a mashed banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter swirled in
    Mini wheats

Where has it been shown that protein or any morning meals helps with concentration later, or prevents you from getting overly hungry or prevent "crashing" later on in the day?

If you are trying to lose weight, you should be careful of blanket statements that are simply not true.

Those who are dieting, virtually all of you in five years will be at a higher weight than you are today. In that period, many of you will yo-yo around with different diets, which is even worse health-wise.

There is no physiologic reason for a morning meal.

Morning hunger is simply your stomach telling you it is empty.

In fact, you should be overjoyed that you are hungry in the morning, and want keep that "sensation" going up until noon by not ingesting anything but water.

Why?

Because in the morning you are BURNING FATS, and the longer you avoid eating the more fat you will burn away.

Don't think of morning hunger as a warning sign that you have to eat.

Think of it as a sign that you are burning fat for fuel- because you are.

And that's the point of dieting, right?

tumblr_mckvdiEMmh1qho8ls.gif
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I try to mix it up so I don't get bored eating the same thing everyday. I am drinking black coffee now....not missing my creamer too badly. Nixing the creamer saves about 200 calories a week.

-Whole wheat english muffin with laughing cow swiss cheese wedge

-Greek yogurt with chia seeds

-Oatmeal with pomegranate seeds

-Flat out wrap with hummus and 1 egg or 1/4 c sharp cheddar cheese in it, toasted

-Egg scrambled with cherry tomatoes and 1 Tbs. parmesan or mozzarella shredded cheese on piece of whole wheat toast

Most of these meals are 175 to just under 300 calories. For the lower calorie meals, if I'm still hungry I munch on an apple or carrot sticks for a mid morning snack.
  • renee6515
    renee6515 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    During the work week I eat 1 boiled egg, 1 piece of bacon and 1 wheat toast w 1tbsp butter and a diet coke. I need to stop with the bacon but I eat at the breakfast bar at work and its hard to resist! lol I try to keep my breakfast at 300 calories. Lunch at 400 and dinner at 500. Like some of the others I HAVE to have the protein (the egg) or I get really shaky feeling and just feel sick and tend to eat more later.
  • randomtai
    Options
    I need to stop with the bacon

What's wrong with bacon?
  • mscrystallee
    mscrystallee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think toast is not the best option for breakfast. I would go with something that will leave you satiated such as oats, eggs or another protein. Hell even a green smoothie will give your body the proper boost, sometimes it is not about the calories you are taking in but the quality of those calories.
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    This morning it was Newman's Own Honey Flax Flakes with skim milk, 1 banana and 2 cups of coffee with 2 tablespoons each of whole milk, taking 256 calories out of my 1200 daily allotment. Some will tell you that toast isn't a "proper" breakfast, but the French get along just fine with a croissant and coffee in the morning followed by a good lunch. Go figure! :flowerforyou:
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    4 egg whites, 1 real egg - cooked with spinach and onions and 1 bowl of cereal (Get balance 13g protein 10g fiber) with soy milk.

Take your toast and burn it.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    You wake up with an empty stomach? Doesn't mean you have to eat.
    Eating breakfast is simply more calories that your body doesn't need.
    You have plenty of fuel on board for any type of workout that you might want to do.
    If you are overweight, eating breakfast is NOT working for you, it is working against you.
    So why do you do it?
    Now THAT is odd.

So at what point does one get to eat, or are you just advocating stopping eating until down to goal weight.

I've heard some ridiculous suggestions, but this starts to take the proverbial...

I have steve on my ignore list, but unfortunately I can still see his posts when people quote him :grumble: He seems to have an ED, as well as some other 'issues' so yeah, just ignore his nonsense and hopefully the mods will get rid of him at some point.

Op, my daily breakfast is a sweet potato-thinly sliced, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and baked until just turning crisp. Dipped in ranch dressing :) Depending on the size of the sweet potato it's usually between 400-500 calories and keeps me happy for several hours.
  • Chriztii
    Options
    yesterday morning i had delicious fried eggs and bacon, bit naughty with the oil and bacon but it was very filling!

Nothing naughty about bacon or oil. :noway: :huh:

aren't oil and bacon fattening? I use coles brand oil and i always thought bacon was a bad meat to eat? am i wrong :S

Oil is a fat and bacon contains fat. But are not, in and of themselves, fattening. Dietary fat is very important.

Sorry i don't really know much about what food contains, I just hear things about certain foods and you automatically think they must be bad.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    this morning's breakfast was a bit different for me. i had oatmeal with some pancake syrup in it (2 tablespoons) then i crushed up one of my homemade blueberry muffins in it. it was yummy! 447 calories and 11 grams of fat. tomorrow i'll just leave out the pancake syrup because it really didn't add anything. the muffins have TONS of blueberries and walnuts in them plus i make them with greek yogurt.
  • paigenevaeh
    paigenevaeh Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I usually have porridge with fruit.

But today I had a Weight Watchers Bagel (157 cals) with light cheese spread (20) and an apple. Was tasty and pretty filling.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Any particular reason why you people eat breakfast? I am assuming all of you are trying to lose weight.

Your body doesn't need the calories, and when you wake up you are actually burning fat.

Immediately eat carbs in the morning and you shut that process down.

What is your rationale?

i don't eat the second i wake up. i walk my dog, run the dishwasher, fold clothes, tidy up the house then i sit down and have my well deserved breakfast before heading into work. i prefer to eat my hot breakfast at home in my pjs relaxing on the couch than sitting at my desk at work in my work clothes especially since i eat my lunch at my desk - the thought of eating 2 meals at my desk is depressing.
  • randomtai
    Options
    yesterday morning i had delicious fried eggs and bacon, bit naughty with the oil and bacon but it was very filling!

Nothing naughty about bacon or oil. :noway: :huh:

aren't oil and bacon fattening? I use coles brand oil and i always thought bacon was a bad meat to eat? am i wrong :S

Oil is a fat and bacon contains fat. But are not, in and of themselves, fattening. Dietary fat is very important.

Sorry i don't really know much about what food contains, I just hear things about certain foods and you automatically think they must be bad.

Don't believe everything you hear... Educate yourself. :flowerforyou: