Which deadlift form do you do/prefer?

Options

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I do conventional deads (not sure I'm built for sumo's)

Just to give an honourable mention to RDL's: I do love 'em!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Conventional all the way. You can really destroy your lower back if you have the slightest slip in form while doing stiff-legged deadlifts.

Everybody does realize that SLDL's are an accessory move, right? They're not supposed to be done with huge weights for heavy triples or anything. They're a glute/ham isolation move. Meaning, if you CAN'T get it up with your erectors, DON'T load it for SLDL's.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Conventional Deadlifts. RDLs I use as an accessory lift w/my Legs workouts. Never cared for/see a need to do Sumo.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Meaning, if you CAN'T get it up with your erectors....

There's a dirty joke in there somewhere. :P
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Conventional. Nothing more impressive to lift big weight from the floor via conventional.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Sumo for regular pulls and speed pulls. Conventional for deficits. I used to pull conventional, but sumo feels much more natural to me.

I like RDLs and contralateral single-leg deads for glute/ham work. I have also used pause deadlifts as an assistance for regular sumo pulls.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Conventional Deadlifts. RDLs I use as an accessory lift w/my Legs workouts. Never cared for/see a need to do Sumo.

This sounds about right- typically I do Box Jumps and walking pause lunges for accessory work on dead lift dead so I don't even bother with the others- but I'll do RDL everyonce in a while.

Sumo feels weird to me as well.

And SLDL I only do when I'm doing HIIT stuff.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Stiff leg and sumo
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Conventional as a primary movement by far. It's the standard, everything else is a variation from IT.

I've used the stiff legged deadlift as well to train my posterior chain more directly, though I find it puts a lot of strain on the back of my knees, which I'm not a fan of. Might move to sumo or some other variation to hit the PC.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    conventional and romanian... romanian i do on leg days and conventional il do on back days
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Conventional is what I prefer but being 6'11" I mostly do sumo, which are specified for taller people.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    RDL because I hurt my back doing conventional and I am now scared of them :/ I also like single leg RDL a lot

Bad form if you hurt your back doing conventional.
  • chasefab
    chasefab Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Romanian- seems easier on my back.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I typically do conventional. When I was powerlifting, I used sumo as my competition stance, you don't have to move the bar as far that way, but I'd still train conventional. A few weeks out from the meet I'd start pulling sumo to get used to the form. My best competition lift was 585.

SLDL is an assistance and if done properly is no more dangerous than any other lift.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    For all you non-sumo people out there-- what is your arm/torso/leg ratio like? I've got looooong legs, and a teeny little torso and T-Rex arms. I put my feet out so wide 'cause otherwise I could never reach the bar! :laugh:
  • salemsaberhagen
    salemsaberhagen Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem- I'm 6'3" with 2/3 of my height being my legs. The bar has a long way to travel with conventional. I've read/heard mixed views on sumo style for tall people. I tried sumo and did not have a problem with it- seemed a bit easier on me. I'm going to keep trying it out. I have a bit of a bad habit with conventional by pulling first with my lower/upper back before engaging legs.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am having problem with my knees lately, wich DL is recommended?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I am having problem with my knees lately, wich DL is recommended?
    It sorta depends on what problem you're having with your knees, and I'm not a doctor, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once. My husband doesn't pull sumo anymore because it bothers his knee. He's about to break 500 lb. soon, so I'd say he made the right choice going back to conventional! :laugh:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I tend to bend my arms a tad too much . . . :sad: :blushing:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I tend to bend my arms a tad too much . . . :sad: :blushing:
    Bend your arms?! In a deadlift?! Are you trying to tear a biceps right off?