Your calorie sob story

Options

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Chicken Katsu Curry at Wagamammas

1,103 calories per serving WITHOUT RICE
    I don't even know how to process that information, what is the sauce made of?!?!

I love Wagamammas. I wish we had it in the States.

I haven't had that particular dish, but I'm thinking most curries are made with coconut milk. That's what makes curries so deadly in terms of calories.

An aside, "curry" I believe just means "sauce". So I don't know why the word has come to mean "something in coconut milk sauce with spices", here in the States at least.
    To me, curry without coconut milk is just pointless. That's just stir-fry.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Perogies! I knew they weren't good for me but in only 4 perogies there is 210 calories... I can eat 20 in one sitting and not to mention the sour cream and butter I added. Ugh. I still love the rogies.. Tonight I had to hide the bowl of them... I only ate 6... Hahaha ugh.

Love the perogies....it is not the perogies per se, but all the dang butter we drizzle on them....
    Well, in fairness, thick noodles stuffed with potatoes and cheese are plenty high-calorie without the butter.

Give me some good sirniki and I will go to *town* on those though. Coarse sugar? Blackberry jam? Yes, please! I ain't even sorry.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid my mom used to make granola and it was so good. She stopped all of a sudden when I was around 10 yo and I was really disappointed. I didn't like any packed cereal as much as the granola. A couple years ago I begged her for the recipe. Very high calories but still delicious. I need to make it again sometime.

I've also had some delicious beers that were a lot higher in calories than I expected. Now I check the calories first and make sure it's worth it. Which it usually is.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Anything from Cheesecake Factory. More like cottage cheese thigh factory!
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    ramen noodles. I forgot to note "per serving" and thought they were just 190 calories a pack lol

I did the same with pop tarts lol. It states 200 calories a pastry, which for some reason I assumed would be one package. No, it really is one pastry. Since there are two pastries a pack, I was consuming an extra 400 calories. No bueno.
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I really want to say everything! When I first started taking note of calorie count I was aghast. Any meal at just about any restaurant was disgustingly upsetting. Yes, I was totally and completely naive. :noway:

Quickly I learned to research prior to deciding if I would eat out and also learned to 1/4 or 1/2 any meal from a restaurant if I was to expect to fit it in my portions for the day.

It is always safer to cook at home after that bit of insight.
  • upsidedownjelly
    Options
    Chipotle. Well, my concoction from Chipotle anyway. I've tried doing the stay-under-500-calories options there, but I just fail. I see that guac and have to have it. And that sour cream. And cheese. And corn. And then chips and next thing I know its 1400 calories.

But 1400 delicious, oh so worth it, yes I make room once a week for them calories.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Eggnog Milkshake
    1350 calories
  • Absterdam
    Options
    I worked in a restaurant for awhile and we were always sampling new menu items. I almost never ordered food there for myself but we got this really amazing mac-n-cheese entree. I gave in and brought it home to eat after work on numerous occasions. NOMNOMNOM!

Yeah I stopped doing that after I found out there was 1980 cals and 3110mg of sodium in it :(
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I log before I eat, but it's scary how many calories are in some restaurant meals and the sodium count in some foods.
  • LaGondaVeal
    LaGondaVeal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Little Caesar's Italian Cheese Bread. All 10 pieces. 1300 calories.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy now... and walk down the street visualizing everyone as bacon wrapped steak...

tumblr_l817varcmQ1qb9fdoo1_500.png

What about Rum Ham? Have you cut that out too? Ruuuuum haaaaamm...!!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything from Sonic...I mean, you don't expect fast food to be low cal, but seriously, what the heck are they putting in there?
  • lizarene3
    lizarene3 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Chili's Big Mouth Bites - 1,790 without the fries, that's 447.5 calories each! They are so good though! Can't afford to go there very often, if ever again! lol
  • maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Totinos Pizza I used to have one for lunch everday until i found out one serving is 360 calories each pizza is two servings.

Total Calories for lunch 720 calories .. thats without a drink .. UGH... Sucked.
  • ejbraun
    ejbraun Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My fave Red Robin burger, the blue ribbon burger. Its something like 1000 +\- for just the burger. JUST. THE. BURGER.

My favorite as well. Haven't had it since joining MFP though...
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    A wedge of cornbread at Redstone. 800+.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    This! When I first started counting a couple years ago I was shocked at how bad muffins were. I always ordered one instead of a donut thinking it was a better choice. I could have enjoyed the donut and had calories left to spare. Most muffins at Tim Hortons are well over 400 calories. Their coffee is bad too. An XL tripple cream and sugar is the typical coffee order or almost everyone I know. It has 480 calories, with 300 calories coming from the cream. I know people who drink two or more of these every day. Canada really loves their Timmies and I think it is adding more calories to our diet than most fast food places. After all, it's just a coffee. How bad can it be...

I hear ya! I don't actually go to Tim's that often but when I started MFP I looked up the calories before I went and decided to switch to unsweetened steeped tea when invited to go.

I don't have an "after the fact" situation that I can think of. I'm a little bit fanatical about pre logging or looking up calories prior to eating out, but it still never ceases to amaze me how many calories are in fast food!
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i was kind of surprised about this, but not so much about the calories as I was about the portion size. I used to love to eat the Marie Callenders pot pies and always just assumed they were single serving. Turns out, they are supposed to be shared and if you eat an entire one by yourself it is over 1,000.

http://www.mariecallendersmeals.com/pot-pies/cheesy-chicken-bacon-pot-pie-2113150128

also not so surprising but disgusting to think that I always ordered the chicken fettucinni alfredo when we would go to Olive Garden...1 serving 1440 cals, 83 grams of fat, 48 sat. fat, 2070 sodium, 103 carbs, 5 fiber and 71 protein. Even sharing that with someone would be unhealthy. SO good though!
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those log before I eat people.
    But sometimes spontaneous things happen like half a container of wine...oops...