"You're still fat"

Options

Replies

• lynnsmilin
    lynnsmilin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Keep going girl!!! don't let anyone stop you.. some people are just heartless.. I would not let it derail your efforts at all.. you are far more important than what anyone else thinks.. so don't give up on you.. keep going!!!!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    This summer I took my friend hiking. I had recently lost a bunch of weight and she is about 100 pounds overweight. However, she was doing her best to do what she could and it was a big deal for her to get out there and try.

While we were hiking, a late 50's-early 60's aged couple came a long while we were taking a little break. The lady (skinny) was like "Hurry up, chop chop, no resting." My friend said, "Yeah, she's trying to kill me" and pointed at me. The woman then said, "I don't think she would have chosen the easiest trail on the whole mountain if she was trying to kill you." I could just see how defeated this immediately made my friend.

In retrospect, I wish I would have said, "Lady, there's just the two of us and the two of you up here. I am pretty sure I could throw you down the mountain and it would just be he said/she said. Now get going while you can and have a nice day.:wink: "

People suck. My friend has never tried again.

I hope you won't be deterred by idiots. People always yell at me when I am running no matter what size I am. :grumble:
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Words have weight and meaning. They can hurt or heal. To say that words don't mean anything is to lie.
    Wars have been fought over words. People kill and die over words.
    However, do not give those girls' words more power than they deserve.
    Those girls are small.
    They are petty.
    They are mean-spirited.
    They are shallow.
    Cruel.
    So, while the word "fat" will be associated with you (and definitely with ME) for a few more days, weeks, months and, depending upon the progress you make, years, those words above will more than likely ALWAYS apply to those girls. It is unlikely that they will find positive change without some sort of awakening.
    So let their harmful words be like them: small.
    Don't give them more power than they deserve. Let them fade away, as they will from so many people's lives.
    Don't let those girls walk around rent free in your head.
    They have moved on to another victim. Giving them space in your head only makes you a continual victim of them.
    They are not worth that. In fact, they aren't worth the second thought.
  • Todayistheday13
    Todayistheday13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    People like that are unhappy with themselves! So they decide to take it out on other people. Keep up the good work! This is just going to make you a stronger person!!
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm late to this thread by quite a few months. It looks like you've lost even more weight since you posted this. I'm glad that you didn't just stop and let those words sink in and stop you from moving forward. Go you! You're beautiful, by the way!
  • saracantthink
    saracantthink Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Great job going four miles, and it is so awesome that you didn't just use that stoplight as a break!! Those girls don't know what they are talking about. You are beautiful!!
  • madV31
    madV31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My favorite sentence in that post is when you said "it didn't deter me." That shows to me how strong and steadfast you are in your goals.

Forget the world; you just need to win over one person--yourself. And it looks like you've already done that :)
  • KarenBoehlke
    Options
    I'm still fat too. I know what you mean about negative remarks. Teens are kids, clueless, inexperienced, power hungry little sheep trying to find their way in this world. They are stuck between the world of childhood and adulthood and angry about it. So they get power by putting other people down to make them feel big and strong. Unfortunately, I have met adults who weren't much better than these teen girls.

Recently I saw a woman larger than myself jogging down the road, on a cold rainy day. I was riding in the car while my eldest son was driving so I rolled down my window and shouted out "You go, girl! Woo, Hoo!" My boys laughed. But I think they understood since I like to cheer them on when they are doing good. I sure wish I could have been there for you. Since I wasn't I'll just say now, "Keep up the good work, honey! You go, girl!"
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I've gotten this same type of reaction; that's why I never do anything in public anymore. If I can't do it in my house it isn't going to happen. I'm too emotionally fragile to go through it again.
  • cadillacblues87
    Options
    For what it's worth, while I have been overweight my whole life, I certainly haven't always been the kindest person...and I've also been hurt a lot.

Guess which one keeps me up at night? The people I've hurt, not those who have hurt me. The morons did it to impress each other and a lot of people have mentioned karma. This is just my 2 cents to reinforce it.

<3 You're awesome, and I'm sorry that you had to hear that.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Your story made me cry. Probably because i was a chubby teen, and a victim of some typical "mean girls".

You are better than that, you are beautiful, you are strong, and nothing or nobody can stop you from reaching your goals!! I believe in you.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I know you probably won't see this now but ... That's the kind of stuff that you should get your motivation from !! A similar thing happened to me a while back when i was at college. I was playing football and i fouled someone and he called me a "fat Sh#t". I wasn't even that fat!! But I felt really horrible about myself, but that was what led me to lose 30lbs of fat and completely change the way that i eat and exercise. Haters make you stronger!
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sad...mean people suck!

Remember, and remind yourself WHY you're doing what you're doing...FOR YOU. You're doing it for YOU, not them! Therefore, it's not a competition because there will always be someone YOU believe is more attractive...do it for you so you can love yourself and forget the rest when the temptation comes to compare yourself because you are you...special, unique and valuable as yourself!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I love that I keep seeing more and more heavy people exercising. It tells me why we are going to turn this obesity epidemic around.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there is a better community of loving and supportive people than you guys here at MFP. Thank you so very much for the support. For those of you who are just now reading this post for the first time, I posted this back in October. Since then, I have lost 30 pounds and completed two 5k walks. I circuit train, lift weights and started C25K. I am down about three dress sizes. I have 70 pounds to go and I expect to meet that goal this year. I did NOT let them deter me. It is because of the support that I received back then (and continue to receive today) that I have stuck with this. I am not a role model, but I am committed to doing this. Take the ride with me and together we will show all of the mean girls of the world how awesome really looks. =0)
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress and success!!!
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the four miles!!!! For the one car full of meanies probably there are 100 people admiring your courage to be outside exercising and just not telling you so =)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wow OP. i'm so sorry that happened to you. what a bunch of jerks! :mad:

and you're better than me. my crazy can come out very quickly, and it would have started with me taking down the license plate number..... :devil:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

You're progressing, and succeeding. The person who shouted at you has apparently not succeeded at progressing out of the mindset of middle school 'humor.'
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If those girls are laughing at you and saying those things, they probably have really sad lives. They likely have no close friendships and don't know what it's like to truly be loved for who they are. They may have mothers who tell them to stop eating or boyfriends who will leave them the moment someone more 'attractive' comes along.

Just feel sorry for them and keep going :) Nobody who acts like that is happy - but you can be happy.