When will people understand that you can't spontaneously....

Options

Replies

• BroScience976
    Options
    I had a large tumor on my thyroid that, without changing my diet, made me gain massive amounts of weight due a decrease in thyroid hormone. I also have no ovaries which means I'm in surgical menopause. Surgical menopause causes the metabolism to slow dramatically. Up until about a year ago I was able to keep my menopause in check with exercise. I stopped exercising due to the massive amounts of pain I was in caused by adhesions. I had adhesion surgery last December, and never felt well enough to exercise again. I gained a moderate amount of weight soon after (about 10 pounds) but nothing dramatic until around May. From May until August I gained 50 pounds without a change in my diet at all. NONE. Lucky me, I kept a food diary because my doctor didn't believe me. He thought I was just stuffing my face. Yeah, no. It's NOT NORMAL to gain 50lbs in 3 months. I was also extremely lethargic all the time. Even with a slight increase in calories something is dramatically wrong at that point. He finally believed me, ran a few tests, felt a tumor on my thyroid, had it biopsied (cancerous), and took it out in October. Since then I haven't gained a single pound... with no change to my activity and diet! Amazing what you don't believe until it happens to you.
    That's to bad about the condition you had. Thyroid hormones contorl metabolic rate. So you where burning less calories and if you ate the same you would gain weight.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options

PCOS wasn't mentioned in what i qouted. In your case, what controls insulin? Calories, it's still a caloric issue regardless. You do have a medical condition, which is understandable. Regardless though, the issue is calories. Eat less to lower insulin levels.

1. I have a feeling you're OP, and bored tonight.

2. If you're not OP, you're quite the idiot. Or a troll.

I would suggest a trip to a Registered Dietician, a Physician, or a College/University program to aid in your understanding of pharmacology, nutrition, and hormonal imbalances if you truly did want to learn more. We're a website. We're not here to teach you how insulin or medication works.

I am well aware of this stuff. So you're telling me if you fasted with PCOS you'll get fat? Once again, it's about calories, pay attention please.

If you're "well aware" of pharmacology, nutrition and hormonal imbalances, then you wouldn't be repeating "calories" "calories" "calories" to people who have stated very clearly that their diets have stayed the same, the medication changed their hormones/metabolism, and they found themselves gaining when the were watching "calories".
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I had a large tumor on my thyroid that, without changing my diet, made me gain massive amounts of weight due a decrease in thyroid hormone. I also have no ovaries which means I'm in surgical menopause. Surgical menopause causes the metabolism to slow dramatically. Up until about a year ago I was able to keep my menopause in check with exercise. I stopped exercising due to the massive amounts of pain I was in caused by adhesions. I had adhesion surgery last December, and never felt well enough to exercise again. I gained a moderate amount of weight soon after (about 10 pounds) but nothing dramatic until around May. From May until August I gained 50 pounds without a change in my diet at all. NONE. Lucky me, I kept a food diary because my doctor didn't believe me. He thought I was just stuffing my face. Yeah, no. It's NOT NORMAL to gain 50lbs in 3 months. I was also extremely lethargic all the time. Even with a slight increase in calories something is dramatically wrong at that point. He finally believed me, ran a few tests, felt a tumor on my thyroid, had it biopsied (cancerous), and took it out in October. Since then I haven't gained a single pound... with no change to my activity and diet! Amazing what you don't believe until it happens to you.
    That's to bad about the condition you had. Thyroid hormones contorl metabolic rate. So you where burning less calories and if you ate the same you would gain weight.

Pretty much, but it's still spontaneously gaining weight, which the OP said was impossible. Other things mess with metabolic rate including birth control hormones. So when someone says they "suddenly gained weight" with no change, it really is possible without changing your diet/ exercise.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
  • BroScience976
    Options

PCOS wasn't mentioned in what i qouted. In your case, what controls insulin? Calories, it's still a caloric issue regardless. You do have a medical condition, which is understandable. Regardless though, the issue is calories. Eat less to lower insulin levels.

1. I have a feeling you're OP, and bored tonight.

2. If you're not OP, you're quite the idiot. Or a troll.

I would suggest a trip to a Registered Dietician, a Physician, or a College/University program to aid in your understanding of pharmacology, nutrition, and hormonal imbalances if you truly did want to learn more. We're a website. We're not here to teach you how insulin or medication works.

I am well aware of this stuff. So you're telling me if you fasted with PCOS you'll get fat? Once again, it's about calories, pay attention please.

If you're "well aware" of pharmacology, nutrition and hormonal imbalances, then you wouldn't be repeating "calories" "calories" "calories" to people who have stated very clearly that their diets have stayed the same, the medication changed their hormones/metabolism, and they found themselves gaining when the were watching "calories".

Doesn't matter if they watch their calories, if they're burning less calories than before they will gain weight. As you said specifically in bold.
  • BroScience976
    Options

Pretty much, but it's still spontaneously gaining weight, which the OP said was impossible. Other things mess with metabolic rate including birth control hormones. So when someone says they "suddenly gained weight" with no change, it really is possible without changing your diet/ exercise.

Well in that case, OP medication can lower your metabolic rate, or make you hungerier, which will lead to fat gain. Some medications can lead to water retention (which will also cause you to weigh more).
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Depo Provera is effective as a birth control for 6 months at a time. It can often work for longer than that and it's recommended that if you're planning to start trying you go off it sooner because it can take awhile to clear for your system. It follows that if it has a metabolic impact, you're stuck with that for awhile before the medication clears your system.

I'm no doctor though...
  • mimipremo1
    Options
    some medications can also impact metabolic rate which means that at the same food intake at which you were maintaining, you are now gaining weight. Some medications also have a rather substantial impact on hormones and hormone imbalances often do cause metabolic issues for which, again, you can go from maintaining to gaining on the same calorie intake.

Totally this. I was a ballet dancer at eighteen who was slavish about eating properly and exercising adequately. I was (erroneously because of a misdiagnosis) placed on a medication that is now known to cause major weight gain and elevated blood sugar in people, especially teenagers. That wasn't known in 2002, when I was put on it and I went from a very healthy and trim 140lbs to 170 in the space of 3 months. I've gained a lot of weight since then, and I will admit that the additional weight after the initial 30lbs was my own doing.....but I'm dealing with that right now. :-)

Almost twelve years later, I am trying to fight to return to a healthy weight and shape.....while that won't be the 135-145lbs of my youth, I think that my goal weight is just fine.
  • iset_the_fair
    iset_the_fair Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. My understanding is that insulin resistance does lead to carbohydrate/sugar cravings. I believe my doctor explained it like this:

When you eat a meal your pancreas is stimulated to release insulin by the presence of sugar/carbs being absorbed into your blood stream through the digestive tract.

Insulin metabolizes carbs/sugars allowing them to move into our cells (be they into muscle as fuel or fat as storage).

Insulin resistance means that our muscles do not respond normally to the insulin, requiring more of it to bring the carb/sugar into the muscle cell.

This results in prolonged elevated levels of sugars/carbs sitting in the blood, stimulating higher insulin production.

High levels of insulin in the blood stimulates cravings for sugar/carbs. Even if there is already an oversupply of sugar/carbs in the blood.

This leads to 2 possible effects:

1. fat cells may more easily take in the sugars/carbs than muscle tissue, resulting in higher body fat along with lethargy and other signs of malnutrition (because the energy is going to storage and not enough is going to fuel due to the insulin effects above).

2. The higher insulin levels are stimulating cravings/appetite resulting in excessive calorie consumption.

Medications such as Metformin help sensitize muscle cells to insulin helping to break the cycle.
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    When you eat a meal your pancreas is stimulated to release insulin by the presence of sugar/carbs being absorbed into your blood stream through the digestive tract.

Insulin metabolizes carbs/sugars allowing them to move into our cells (be they into muscle as fuel or fat as storage).

Insulin resistance means that our muscles do not respond normally to the insulin, requiring more of it to bring the carb/sugar into the muscle cell.

This results in prolonged elevated levels of sugars/carbs sitting in the blood, stimulating higher insulin production.

High levels of insulin in the blood stimulates cravings for sugar/carbs. Even if there is already an oversupply of sugar/carbs in the blood.

This leads to 2 possible effects:

1. fat cells may more easily take in the sugars/carbs than muscle tissue, resulting in higher body fat along with lethargy and other signs of malnutrition (because the energy is going to storage and not enough is going to fuel due to the insulin effects above).

I actually am doing very poorly with metformin at the moment- my body for some reason isn't sensitized with it anymore:( so we'll be trying something new after 6 years. But metformin helped in the beginning.

I have the cravings (the 2nd effect)- but the part 1 is the one that REALLY decimated me. I do have other health issues to go along with my severe PCOS (I have insulin levels that are 21 times the normal individual, and my testosterone was actually 5 times as high as a teenage male the last time it was tested).

And educating people that medication can and will change what you weigh, I can't believe I'm having that basic of a conversation.

However, this has turned into a troll posting under 2 accounts, so, I'm really over it:)

<Nurse, Married to a Doctor.
  • MizSookeh
    MizSookeh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I thought this topic was going to be about spontaneous combustion.

302_Spontaneous_Combustion_00014.jpg
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I thought this topic was going to be about spontaneous combustion.

302_Spontaneous_Combustion_00014.jpg

That would have made more sense than this driville.
  • sueb92595
    Options
    This is the first time I have been on this message board and it is sad to me this is the first thing I have read. The person writing it is obviously uneducated and ignorant. To challenge the medical profession, to include physicians, pharmacology, research, dietitians, etc. is a brave move. Oh, you didn't specifically challenge them, but you may as well have. You have many people on this message board with many physical issues that they are dealing with. Some of us struggle very hard to lose one pound because of medication. The doctors change the medication and up goes the weight again. Whether you believe it or not, it is very real. I have a pituitary tumor that resulted in my being hypopituitary. I take 14 medicines a day with more than half of them saying "may cause weight gain". Believe me, they do cause weight gain. I take steroids, that believe me cause weight gain. This is not a "temporary" medication for me. I will be on them the rest of my life or I will die. There are times that I am able to have the dose reduced and I work very hard to get my weight down. Then the doctor increases the dose again because my adrenal glands don't work right and the next thing I know the weight begins to pile on again. Some of it is water weight, the other is fat. Either way, you feel miserable and struggle hard to lose the weight. The last time I left the MD's office after he told me he needed to increase the dose, I left in tears, knowing what would happen. I had worked so hard trying to get the weight off. So, instead of being judgmental on this site, we need to try and lift each other up and encourage each other. You don't know how difficult weight loss is, especially for people struggling with medical problems until you walk in another person's shoes.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    There are medications that cause weight gain, but that's usually on the level of 5-10 pounds. People who claim that much higher gains than that are only due to their medication are deluding themselves.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This, as well~! that's really all I was trying to say you guys, chill out. XD
    Re-read your OP (and it's tone) (and combine it with your photo then and now). And then re-read this post. There's a reason you're getting the replies you're getting. The sock puppet who keeps replying isn't helping.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I hear people complaining how being on a type of birth control or a medication "MADE" them gain 30-50 pounds. and they truly believe that taking said medication caused them to somehow spontaneously gain weight, regardless of their food intake.

Well, I easily lost 30 pounds in 12 weeks and kept it off for two years. I got Mirena, continued my very active lifestyle and continued eating the same kinds and amount of food as I had been eating for those two years and gained back 25 of those 30 pounds. And no matter how much I exercised or how little I ate (except when I dropped to 500 calories a day), the weight didn't budge.

The first 5 pounds came on the month after I got Mirena and within a month of having it removed, I lost 10 pounds.

So, please, you little expert you, tell me what caused my weight gain and what made it impossible to lose that weight if it wasn't the birth control.
  • losinglbslovinglife
    Options
    I have nexplanon in & I'm losing. I was on microgynon 30 & was losing. I was on cerazette & I was losing. I was on noriday & I was losing. it annoys me when people claim that b.c causes weight gain - it can increase your appetite but what you do about it is down to yourself.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have nexplanon in & I'm losing. I was on microgynon 30 & was losing. I was on cerazette & I was losing. I was on noriday & I was losing. it annoys me when people claim that b.c causes weight gain - it can increase your appetite but what you do about it is down to yourself.
    Congrats. That's wonderful. FOR YOU. Perhaps others react to meds differently? Why would this "annoy" you?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

My BC did not increase my appetite. I did NOT eat more. I was tracking calories all along and exercising daily. I still gained a significant amount of weight.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Congrats. That's wonderful. FOR YOU. Perhaps others react to meds differently? Why would this "annoy" you?
    it can increase your appetite but what you do about it is down to yourself.

Dysfunctions like pcos, diabetes etc does effect the outsdide of the EBE but taking pills doesn't miraculously cause weight gain. The need is to understand how these dysfunctions effect your health and weight and make adjustments.