When will people understand that you can't spontaneously....

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have nexplanon in & I'm losing. I was on microgynon 30 & was losing. I was on cerazette & I was losing. I was on noriday & I was losing. it annoys me when people claim that b.c causes weight gain - it can increase your appetite but what you do about it is down to yourself.
    Congrats. That's wonderful. FOR YOU. Perhaps others react to meds differently? Why would this "annoy" you?
    it can increase your appetite but what you do about it is down to yourself.
    Except what about when it doesn't increase your appetite and you're not eating more and you still gain? What about when the only way you can lose the weight you gained is by dropping your intake to anorexic calorie levels? Because that is what happened to me and I doubt very much I'm the only person that happened to.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I have nexplanon in & I'm losing. I was on microgynon 30 & was losing. I was on cerazette & I was losing. I was on noriday & I was losing. it annoys me when people claim that b.c causes weight gain - it can increase your appetite but what you do about it is down to yourself.
    Congrats. That's wonderful. FOR YOU. Perhaps others react to meds differently? Why would this "annoy" you?
    Except what about when it doesn't increase your appetite and you're not eating more and you still gain? What about when the only way you can lose the weight you gained is by dropping your intake to anorexic calorie levels? Because that is what happened to me and I doubt very much I'm the only person that happened to.
    I edited my post to answer that question.
  • MsBluelipstick
    Options
    I gained 30lbs in 4 weeks from medication.And no I was not over eating, I was in a hospital and they had me on a strict 900 cal a day diet. Not sure how it works.The meds I was on were pretty powerful stuff..

I do agree tho...too many times people blame it on meds...I think it can be a factor but not to blame all the time like some people do.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I gained 30lbs in 4 weeks from medication.And no I was not over eating, I was in a hospital and they had me on a strict 900 cal a day diet. Not sure how it works.The meds I was on were pretty powerful stuff..

I do agree tho...too many times people blame it on meds...I think it can be a factor but not to blame all the time like some people do.
    If taking pills added 30lbs in a month that would mean thermodynamics (conservation of energy) does not exist. Personally I don't believe that, but I do know that most people don't have a clue how much they eat, and the studies bear this out or how medication may effect their metabolisms.....science.
  • rml_16
    Options
    You didn't answer that question. I don't have any other mitigating issues. No PCOS or other metabolic disorders. I was thin my entire life (one of those people who could eat anything and as much of it as I wanted) until my late 20s. I gained some weight, lost it, kept it off with little effort and then the ONLY change was the change of birth control.

So you didn't answer my question.

And, yes, I saw my doctor and had blood tests.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Does anyone really care what a clearly pro-ana catfish and a known antagonizer have to say on this subject?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    You didn't answer that question. I don't have any other mitigating issues. No PCOS or other metabolic disorders. I was thin my entire life (one of those people who could eat anything and as much of it as I wanted) until my late 20s. I gained some weight, lost it, kept it off with little effort and then the ONLY change was the change of birth control.

I didn't say that it wouldn't effect metabolism I said that taking pills by themselves doesn't add weight. You should talk to a Endocrinologist and possibly an Immunologist to find out why that particular birth control has that effect.....maybe a different control will have better effect on your weight gain. You've come off the birth control apparently and really haven't lost any weight and your consuming 500-700 calories a day an working out 5 days a week.........it's a mystery then, right....or magic.
  • Humbugsftw
    Humbugsftw Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was on depo for 3 months, and it was ****. Gained 20lbs in that time... BUT I know why. It shot my appetite up (I ate more than the men in the family I was with) plus I was absolutely sedentary (didn't do any exercise aside from walking, and not a lot then) because I was tired all the time. I think the changes (in most cases) are to do with an increase in appetite (I also think water retention has a role to play without a doubt).
  • rml_16
    Options

I didn't say that it wouldn't effect metabolism I said that taking pills by themselves doesn't add weight. You should talk to a Endocrinologist and possibly an Immunologist to find out why that particular birth control has that effect.....maybe a different control will have better effect on your weight gain. You've come off the birth control apparently and really haven't lost any weight and your consuming 500-700 calories a day an working out 5 days a week.........it's a mystery then, right....or magic.
    Um ... no.

I am off the BC. I lost a good deal of weight when I went off of it. I have been struggling in the year since I went off of it, but you do realize that it takes time for a woman's hormones to regulate again after years on BC, right?

I only just started having normal periods again.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Um ... no.

I am off the BC. I lost a good deal of weight when I went off of it. I have been struggling in the year since I went off of it, but you do realize that it takes time for a woman's hormones to regulate again after years on BC, right?

Sure, ok. be well.
  • rml_16
    Options

Um ... no.

Sure, ok. be well.

Excuse me, but what are you basing any of this information on? Where are you getting I'm only eating 500-700 calories a day or how much I'm execising?

I haven't logged on here in months and you are not on my FL. So, please, tell me how you "know" so much about me. I know that my profile does not say those things.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Depo Provera is effective as a birth control for 6 months at a time. It can often work for longer than that and it's recommended that if you're planning to start trying you go off it sooner because it can take awhile to clear for your system. It follows that if it has a metabolic impact, you're stuck with that for awhile before the medication clears your system.

I'm no doctor though...

Yah no...it's a 3month shot actually.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Um ... no.

Sure, ok. be well.

Excuse me, but what are you basing any of this information on? Where are you getting I'm only eating 500-700 calories a day or how much I'm execising?

I haven't logged on here in months and you are not on my FL. So, please, tell me how you "know" so much about me. I know that my profile does not say those things.

In your profile. Sorry I said you were eating 500 to 700 which was incorrect, you only lose weight when you eat 500 to 700.
    It seems I only lose if I eat about 500-700 calories a day and exercise at least five times a week. So I've decided to stop tracking for a while. Maybe forever.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I just am shaking my head.

People on here claiming BC made them gain weight...okay whatever.

Calories in>calories out make you gain weight.

Yes perhaps BC lowered your BMR or increased your appetite or messed with hormones along with a long list of other things that BC and other meds do.... but it comes down to the hard science.

People with PCOS or other medical conditions if in regular contact with their doctor and get their meds in order can lose weight too...it might take longer but it can be done. It again comes down to burning more then you take in.

I am a 41 year old woman who has used BC pills, Depo, Mierna and been on Anti depressants...

I have gained and lost a few times...but none of it is because of my meds my gains were due to eating too much and not moving enough then when I decided enough was enough...I lost weight...eating less and moving more. Funny thing about it is this...on BC or other meds you might be tired...but if you exercise you get energy...it's the whole circle thing.

But this debate will go on forever...why because people want something to blame other then themselves for weight gain.

Am I being judgemental? Blunt? mean? no..yes...no

Personal responsibility is needed...BC does not cause weight gain..excess calories do.
  • rml_16
    Options

Yes perhaps BC lowered your BMR or increased your appetite or messed with hormones along with a long list of other things that BC and other meds do.... but it comes down to the hard science.

People with PCOS or other medical conditions if in regular contact with their doctor and get their meds in order can lose weight too...it might take longer but it can be done. It again comes down to burning more then you take in.

I am a 41 year old woman who has used BC pills, Depo, Mierna and been on Anti depressants...

I have gained and lost a few times...but none of it is because of my meds my gains were due to eating too much and not moving enough then when I decided enough was enough...I lost weight...eating less and moving more. Funny thing about it is this...on BC or other meds you might be tired...but if you exercise you get energy...it's the whole circle thing.

But this debate will go on forever...why because people want something to blame other then themselves for weight gain.

Personal responsibility is needed...BC does not cause weight gain..excess calories do.

In other words, as is the usual argument of this type:

"It didn't happen to me, so it couldn't possibly have happened to anyone else."

:flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

If you say so.

Walk a mile in the shoes of another...
  • SezxyStef
    Options

In other words, as is the usual argument of this type:

"It didn't happen to me, so it couldn't possibly have happened to anyone else."

:flowerforyou:

No not the usual argument of "it didn't happen to me"

The agrument is this...science proves weight gain comes from excess calories...why you have excess calories can differ...

Too much food perhaps
    Not enough movement perhaps
    Lowered BMR due to hormone imbalance etc which can come from medication perhaps..

But at the end of the day it comes down to calories in and calories out.

If you do take meds that says "could cause weight gain or increased appetite" like my depo put that in a little spot in your head and realize it so when you are weighing your food and counting your calories and exercising you are more aware that perhaps the appetite increase is due to meds and you can eat the food but move more...and track and keep track of gains/losses/TDEE etc so you know if your BMR has changed du to meds and then talk to your doctor and re-evaluate if the meds need changed or tweeked...

I am a special snowflake when it comes to Depo and Mirena ...my doctor told me so...
  • rml_16
    Options
    No not the usual argument of "it didn't happen to me"

The agrument is this...science proves weight gain comes from excess calories...why you have excess calories can differ...

Too much food perhaps
    Not enough movement perhaps
    Lowered BMR due to hormone imbalance etc which can come from medication perhaps..

But at the end of the day it comes down to calories in and calories out.

Right. But when "excess calories" is 1,000 calories a day due to a lowered BMR DUE TO THE MEDICATION, what are you supposed to do? Starve yourself? It makes it pretty much impossible to lose weight and REALLY difficult to not gain it.

And I DID talk to my doctor. My gyno. When I was first on Mirena and she INSISTED it couldn't be causing my weight gain and I listened to her. Then I did more research and their own website says it can cause weight gain. So I went back to my gyno and wanted it removed and my tubes tied. She did it, but she tried to talk me out of it first.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

If you say so.

I don't have to...I gained weight while using Mirena...Depo and Anti depressants...I've been there. I blamed them.

Then low and behold bam...I lost weight why because I eat less and move more. As a matter of fact I have lost over 50lbs while on Mirena and Depo...so I have walked that mile then another 10...

Don't assume...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

If you say so.

I don't have to...I gained weight while using Mirena...Depo and Anti depressants...I've been there. I blamed them.

Then low and behold bam...I lost weight why because I eat less and move more. As a matter of fact I have lost over 50lbs while on Mirena and Depo...so I have walked that mile then another 10...

Don't assume...
    I could say the same to you. You've walked in your shoes. Nothing more.