Eat McDonald's, lose wight, set terrible example

Options

Replies

• T4YL0RMiLL3R
    Options
    I think that it's totally possible to lose weight eating only McDonalds, it just depends on the caloric intake. You can choose to have a salad and water there for lunch, or you could choose the quarter pounder large meal with a large Coke. It just depends on the choices you make, showing that fast food restaurants are not as bad as they were made out to be, say, 10 years ago, because a lot of them switched to healthier menu choices, ex: no trans fat and no super sizing.
    However, I think it was a bad idea to bring into the classroom. Especially of teenagers, many of them susceptible to eating disorders, and teaching them a "diet" at that age, making them plan meals for him, shouldn't be happening: it's his own business to lose weight.
  • Marymoe138
    Marymoe138 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This did not bother me in the least. What surprised me was that as much information is readily available out there to show you that you can still eat at fast food restaurants( and make healthy choices there, ie the oatmeal), that this was made into a rather large story. Bottom line, burn more than you eat and make healthy choices and within moderation, you can enjoy what you like. It amazes me that we make nutrition more complicated than it should be!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think the point is plain and simple. The foods you choose to eat make you fat, whether it is food from McDonalds or foods you eat at any other restaurant. You choose what you eat. You choose how well you take care of your body. You could cook food at home every night and still get fat if you are making the wrong food choices or cooking foods in butter. You can't blame a food chain for your bad food choices. Plain and simple.

LOLwhat?

(That's not entirely fair. Much of your post was right, even if it was for the wrong reasons.)

The *amount* of foods you eat make you fat. Well, more accurately, the calorific content of the foods you eat make you fat (or not). "Wrong food choices" might make make you malnourished (or weak, lethargic, etc.), but won't necessarily make you fat. And "cooking foods in butter" doesn't make you fat...it makes the food delicious...because butter.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Find a way to eat within moderate caloric intake limits while eating out?

I agree, that's appalling. I don't want to stop eating McDonald's when I'm full...I want to stop when I hate my self. That's the better approach.
  • DYELB
    Options
    I think that it's totally possible to lose weight eating only McDonalds, it just depends on the caloric intake. You can choose to have a salad and water there for lunch, or you could choose the quarter pounder large meal with a large Coke. It just depends on the choices you make, showing that fast food restaurants are not as bad as they were made out to be, say, 10 years ago, because a lot of them switched to healthier menu choices, ex: no trans fat and no super sizing.
    However, I think it was a bad idea to bring into the classroom. Especially of teenagers, many of them susceptible to eating disorders, and teaching them a "diet" at that age, making them plan meals for him, shouldn't be happening: it's his own business to lose weight.

So teenagers shouldn't learn how to moderate intake? It's a shame then that this is something taught in elementary...
  • loozit4good
    loozit4good Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    chocolate is also addictive, so is sugar, should that be put off the shelves as well? Let's face it, if we are people on this site that have struggled with food addiction (doesn't matter what type of food btw), then you are an addict. If you're an achololic, drinking organic beer isn't going to be any better for you.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

So teenagers shouldn't learn how to moderate intake? It's a shame then that this is something taught in elementary...

Children SHOULD be taught about portion control and nutrient content. The earlier the better. "Diet" actually refers to the food people eat, not to a phase of calorie restriction. My children are 7, 5, and 3 and I already try to teach them what is "healthy" food, what are "good" snacks, what are "sometimes" foods and that eating too much is very "unhealthy". I don't ever mention a desire for them or myself to be "skinny". I don't ever warn them not to be fat. It's all about health, energy, etc.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Since many people are bothered by being shown that they are wrong, and this debunks the 'mcdonalds is bad for you' myth so many hold dear, it would not be surprising at all to hear that people are bothered by it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This:
    Why should someone be bothered by this?

And this:
    This only proves that you don't have to know very much about nutrition and get published.

Personally, I would have chosen Taco Bell or Sonic. I hate McDonald's.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This:
    Why should someone be bothered by this?

And this:
    This only proves that you don't have to know very much about nutrition and get published.

Personally, I would have chosen Taco Bell or Sonic. I hate McDonald's.
    Back in the days when I could even eat at those places, I think I would have gone with Wendy's.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I think you're confused about what addictive means.

I don't think I am but I would love for you to illuminate me.

^^^ doesn't know what illuminate means either

Didn't understand either so I looked it up and had to sort through the many definitions from www.thefreedictionary.com to choose what I believe is the correct one in this situation but I could be wrong

3. To make understandable; clarify
    4. To enlighten intellectually or spiritually; enable to understand

Or it could be

2. To provide intellectual or spiritual enlightenment and understanding

Or even

One who has or professes to have an unusual degree of enlightenment

Hope that helps :smile:
    Heh heh you learned him real good.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I would hope that in the future the MFP community would be a little less judgmental, given the circumstances.

:huh:

So we need to be less judgmental be being more annoyed with what other people eat?

No, not at all. Like I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If the OP is bothered by a certain article that is going viral, so be it. This topic should incite controversy. However, many of the responses are just rude.

the OP is rude and judgmental :angry:
  • BlackRangerX
    BlackRangerX Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Walter White?
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    HOw is this a terrible example? Isn't showing that you can make healthy choices and stick to a diet even if you are rushed for time or on a short budget a good thing?

I agree, I don't think it's a bad example. Actually, it would probably help many people if they are stuck without options and have to go to McDs yet want to make better choices. And I'm with many people here that cutting out "all bad foods" isn't always the way to go; moderation is better and more sustainable (at least for me).
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I think the point is plain and simple. The foods you choose to eat make you fat, whether it is food from McDonalds or foods you eat at any other restaurant. You choose what you eat. You choose how well you take care of your body. You could cook food at home every night and still get fat if you are making the wrong food choices or cooking foods in butter. You can't blame a food chain for your bad food choices. Plain and simple.

LOLwhat?

(That's not entirely fair. Much of your post was right, even if it was for the wrong reasons.)

The *amount* of foods you eat make you fat. Well, more accurately, the calorific content of the foods you eat make you fat (or not). "Wrong food choices" might make make you malnourished (or weak, lethargic, etc.), but won't necessarily make you fat. And "cooking foods in butter" doesn't make you fat...it makes the food delicious...because butter.

I cook my eggs in bacon grease. I'm DOOMED! lol
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Yes. I am incredibly bothered by the fact that Slate has turned into a bunch of trolls from top to bottom.

This too!

I used to love Slate, but the last few years, it has gone down the toilet.
  • DYELB
    Options

Children SHOULD be taught about portion control and nutrient content. The earlier the better. "Diet" actually refers to the food people eat, not to a phase of calorie restriction. My children are 7, 5, and 3 and I already try to teach them what is "healthy" food, what are "good" snacks, what are "sometimes" foods and that eating too much is very "unhealthy". I don't ever mention a desire for them or myself to be "skinny". I don't ever warn them not to be fat. It's all about health, energy, etc.

Calorie restriction is a reality at any age. Eating within your calories is important for staying healthy. It doesn't have to be about being skinny. The teacher lost weight, improving at least one of his health markers. How is that not a valid lesson?

Given that being obese increases chances of all kinds of negative health effects, it might be something you want to consider mentioning to them. How you present the message so that it doesn't also give them an unhealthy relationship with food matters, and is not an easy task, but I don't think that means you shouldn't mention weight as a concern at all. It is a concern.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Personally... I don't eat McDonalds. I'd rather eat real food. But... if you can't cook... don't care to.. and Love crappy fast food... I guess its good to know you can make better choices whilst you're there to keep youself from packing on the lbs. Their choice, their life. As long as they don't tie me to a chair and force feed it to me we're cool.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Walter White?

Are you sure?

Didn't think so.

Now say my name.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I just realized what it is about this that rustles the jimmies of many:

It shows that it actually *is* possible to eat even the "crappiest of crap food" and not eat to excess...and it highlights that the excuse of "once I start eating 'crap' food I just can't stop" is just that: an excuse.

Jof hit the nail on the head. Cheers! :flowerforyou: