I heard they cancelled school in Florida today

Options

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Becuase it was like 30 degrees!!!!

Bless your hearts.

It was -58 degrees here in Iowa yesterday.

I'm sorry I just had to laugh, now I'm sure someone from Alaska will rip my *kitten* and do one better. Just amazing the differences in what is tolerated and what is not.

What is this weather doing???!!???

Do you live in an a cloud 6000 feet over Elkader?

Freezing weather can cause Havoc in a population that doesn't know how to deal with it. For kids who play outside their parents would bundle them early in the morning because it is ungodly cold to them and advise the kids to not take it off. A couple of hours later the kid is sweating bullets and decided to take his jacket off, and the body isn't prepared for that before you know it you have a full school of sick kids.

People in warm places also are confused by people from cold weather applying sunscreen when it is in the low 90s, but again cold weather people's bodies aren't ready for that kind of Sun exposure.

Also, it was only 27 in Anchorage Alaska yesterday, so Iowa wins the cold contest!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out why the OP is suddenly being ripped a new one over her post. . .

:huh:

I'm trying to figure out where she got her information. It isn't true.
  • rml_16
    Options
    People in warm places also are confused by people from cold weather applying sunscreen when it is in the low 90s, but again cold weather people's bodies aren't ready for that kind of Sun exposure.

What?

Temperature has nothing to do with getting a sunburn ...
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out why the OP is suddenly being ripped a new one over her post. . .

"The following schools have confirmed they will be closed on January 7, 2014 due to weather.

TWIS Christian School in Jasper, FL
    Achiever's Christian Academy in Jennings, FL
    Hamilton County Florida Schools will be closed for students. Faculty and staff will report from 8-3:30 on Tuesday, January 7th."

"JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Three school districts in SE Georgia and one in NE Florida will be closed on Tuesday due to the arctic weather in the forecast."
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    They have it so tough, my friend in Gainesville was freaking because it was 22 last night. I would be excited for 22. It just hit 12, I am so excited I might take a walk.
  • herangel3
    Options
    I'm in NW Florida; 16 degrees and schools are open.
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    With wind chill it was -24 in PA this morning and schools are closed....
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    It's been close to -50C (-58F) here for a few weeks now. Today it is -39C (-38.2F). This is a normal winter here for us.

You don't have to live like this.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    :yawn:
  • rml_16
    Options

"The following schools have confirmed they will be closed on January 7, 2014 due to weather.

TWIS Christian School in Jasper, FL
    Achiever's Christian Academy in Jennings, FL
    Hamilton County Florida Schools will be closed for students. Faculty and staff will report from 8-3:30 on Tuesday, January 7th."
    They may have had power outages there. Those are very few schools in a very large state and much of the state is seeing temps far lower than 30.
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Im in florida and school was definitely not cancelled....lol. Im born and raised here, and never seen snow before. Im dying in this 30 degree weather. I cant imagine how people up north do it! kudos to you brave brave people
  • DayoUDaShit
    DayoUDaShit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida and my school didn't get closed today lol
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Becuase it was like 30 degrees!!!!

Bless your hearts.

It was -58 degrees here in Iowa yesterday.

I'm sorry I just had to laugh, now I'm sure someone from Alaska will rip my *kitten* and do one better. Just amazing the differences in what is tolerated and what is not.

What is this weather doing???!!???

Well I think this gets the ignorant win of the forum award today.
    This.

"They're different, let's get 'em!"
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I woke up this morning and it was so cold I needed gloves but they don't sell them that often in Florida. That may be a rumor because I heard kids going to school this morning and there were crossing guards out.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

HOw about a little honesty, Iowa? The WIND CHILL in MN and Wisconsin was -40 to -60 yesterday, actual air temps were in the -20s. Iowa is down at the bottom of this polar air mass, so try again. And it was warmer in Alaska yesterday then it was in the contiguous U.S. northern states.

Where in Alaska? I thought this seemed odd, so I just checked out weather.com. It said yesterday's high in Nome was 31, 38 in Juneau. Here in Connecticut it was 54 yesterday.

Well, if it was 31 in Juneau and 38 in Nome, then it was colder in Minnesota (-20 to -30), Wisconsin (same range) and parts of IL, IA, MI, ND, and OH as well. There is more to the Northern US states than just Connecticut, which is in the Eastern US, btw.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Schools are open here. But it is cold, and I did get my walk in though. :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    people who live in warm and/or temperate climates are most often ill prepared to deal with these types of rare events and temperatures.

But they didn't cancel school in Florida today.

cool...I don't live there so I wouldn't no and don't really care...I was just explaining why that could be possible. I've seen other places cancel school and other events because it's too hot...I don't laugh at them because I'm from the desert and we're prepared for heat and they're not. It's just rather ignorant is all...
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHA WE ARE AT 9 DEG FEELS LIKE -8 WITH WIND AND IT IS A HEAT WAVE!!!!! I don't have kids but I saw the bus this morning and I am sure they are all in school :laugh:
  • rml_16
    Options
    OK. I found an article. They're worried about black ice, which is a legitimate concern since we don't have salt trucks down here.
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    anyone still believe in global warming??? :laugh: