Muscles can lift what the tendons can't, learn from me

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Food for thought re: connective tissue health...

Tendons and ligaments experience far less blood flow than muscle tissue during training, and exponentially less during recovery. More frequent loading of connective tissues at least keeps them in a state of higher blood flow more often than a less frequent, higher volume program. So maybe hit the affected joint (or all joints?) more often, with less volume, to help speed your rehab?

That's some tenuous broscience right there man lol :drinker: But yeah whether it's for this reason or not, he doesn't want me to outright stop squatting. He just advised that I go back to about 50% of bodyweight, once a week, and see if there's any pain.

Buh? One reason why it takes connective tissue so much longer to heal than muscle is because of the substantially lower blood flow.

My research supports that as well- it takes MONTHS longer than muscles and bones because of the reduced blood flow.

That's why ART/Foam rolling works- breaks up crusty scar tissue and improves blood flow.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

Tendons and ligaments experience far less blood flow than muscle tissue during training, and exponentially less during recovery. More frequent loading of connective tissues at least keeps them in a state of higher blood flow more often than a less frequent, higher volume program. So maybe hit the affected joint (or all joints?) more often, with less volume, to help speed your rehab?

That's some tenuous broscience right there man lol :drinker: But yeah whether it's for this reason or not, he doesn't want me to outright stop squatting. He just advised that I go back to about 50% of bodyweight, once a week, and see if there's any pain.

Buh? One reason why it takes connective tissue so much longer to heal than muscle is because of the substantially lower blood flow.

Ya, but he was advocating using the joint to promote blood flow. Lol he was just working out and idea, out loud. That said in this case it's my elbows and knees. My knees get a lot of use on a daily basis whether I like it or not.

I'm just going on stuff culled from guys like Perryman, Bill Starr, Pendlay, etc. I'll see if I can drag up an article that seems well-supported. It's not anything that's been researched clinically very much, but it's been results-driven by some very well-regarded serious lifters.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

Ya, but he was advocating proactively exercising the joint with more frequency and less volume& weight to promote blood flow. Lol he was just working out an idea, out loud. That said in this case it's my elbows and knees. My knees get a lot of use on a daily basis whether I like it or not.

Of course I'm going with PT's advice of once a week at 50%. Totally doable, just sucks.

Yeah, I've got no clue about the differential blood flow in loaded connective tissues vs. unloaded, % max or otherwise, so perhaps broscience. But it smells legit.
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It's SO true that building up slowly is the way to go, especially as you get older. I'm 47, and I have found that the older I get, the slower my overall ability to handle resistance builds up. It just takes time. My muscles will respond, but if I go too fast, I injure something else. So while it sucks to be patient, it sucks worse to have a setback that takes away the ability to continue getting into better shape.

Good luck, OP.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Yeah, I've got no clue about the differential blood flow in loaded connective tissues vs. unloaded, % max or otherwise, so perhaps broscience. But it smells legit.

well moving things- makes the blood flow.

So we use that for almost every other aspect of working out- warm up before you stretch- gets' the blood flowing and the muscle's warm.

I didn't research my stuff on a sports side- I researched purely through the medical stuff on tendonosis. And that's exactly what it all said. increased blood flow helps healing- which is why we do such nasty things like gratson (sp)
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I'm just going on stuff culled from guys like Perryman, Bill Starr, Pendlay, etc. I'll see if I can drag up an article that seems well-supported. It's not anything that's been researched clinically very much, but it's been results-driven by some very well-regarded serious lifters.

Nah man I was mostly playing with you. That makes intuitive sense sure, but I don't know if the " frequent light use to increase blood flow" is better than just giving it rest. Think playing with a scab, versus just leaving it alone.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    My research supports that as well- it takes MONTHS longer than muscles and bones because of the reduced blood flow.

That's why ART/Foam rolling works- breaks up crusty scar tissue and improves blood flow.

That's funny; I just read a pretty comprehensive article re: foam rolling-type therapies that basically resulted in these guys saying " we really don't know why foam rolling works."

I'd be really interested to see any solid info you've got.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    All I know is, now that I'm older mobility/roller work is mandatory. In fact, I'm busting it out tomorrow due to this thread (and the fact I'm starting to feel a bit like hammered crap)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

That's the problem with broscience, IMO. It smells legit. It sometimes tastes legit. It's only when you get the explosive diarrhea or projectile vomiting afterward that you know that it isn't legit.

Re: the bloodflow stuff? I have no clue.
  • Huffdogg
    Options

Nah man I was mostly playing with you. That makes intuitive sense sure, but I don't know if the " frequent light use to increase blood flow" is better than just giving it rest. Think playing with a scab, versus just leaving it alone.

Off the cuff, and certainly anecdotal, but IMO worth consideration:

“When I first took the plunge, I was paranoid about getting hurt again, but at that point I had nothing else to lose. I could either train how I wanted ― heavy and with the big lifts ― or I’d just have to quit and take up stamp collecting.
    As the days and weeks went on, I noticed something. Not only was I not getting hurt, but all the squatting felt like it was greasing the rails. The old injuries, which normally ached and made me very aware that I was bothering them, started griping less and less. They never became painless, but I’d not expect that. It was more like they retreated into a background noise of dull ache, sometimes irritating, but never once did I feel like a catastrophic blow-out was imminent.
    At that point my interest was piqued, and I kept coming back to a post John Broz made on the Bodybuilding.com forums:
    NOT training everyday leads to more injuries! IF you train everyday then your entire body is fatigued. Muscles, tendons, cartilage, ligaments, etc. When you train every other day, then the muscles and avascular tissues don’t recover at the same pace. What happens is the muscles become fresh and recover but all the connective tissue is NOT. When the additional stress put on these weakened tissues (that never really got a chance to recover) by fresh muscles = injury. Lifting everyday keeps everything in a state that is equal and consistent within the system. A balance or harmony within. The fatigued muscles can’t contract enough to harm the other tissues. The weak link moves from body part to body part, and in a sense is not letting the other parts max so that’s when they are resting”

Excerpt From: Matt Perryman. “Squat Every Day.”

If the idea seems like it has any value to you at all, I'd really recommend checking his ebook out. It's only $7. Well worth it if only for an entertainment read. His perspective on training the body as a complex system is quite intriguing.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    All I know is, now that I'm older mobility/roller work is mandatory. In fact, I'm busting it out tomorrow due to this thread (and the fact I'm starting to feel a bit like hammered crap)

Yeah I 100% agree! My wife is starting to get jealous of my relationship with my lacrosse balls and foam roller lol. I'm not saying I don't think it works. Like with a number of other training-related things, it clearly does. What I was getting at is that I'm not sure if anyone knows exactly WHY it works.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Turning 50 this year, tendinitis has been a pain in my *kitten* (not literally) for the past 10 years. I have both golfers and tennis elbow in both elbows and also in my left ankle and left patellar tendon. So I usually have to do a pretty good warm up, and for my elbows I wear neoprene sleeves to keep them "warm". Makes it the more bearable when I have to lift heavier, although with age my strength has diminished year by year.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    When the additional stress put on these weakened tissues (that never really got a chance to recover) by fresh muscles = injury.

Hmm, that's a really interesting thought. What comes to mind though is that training the same thing every day doesn't allow for recouperation at all, even for the tendons you're trying to avoid injuring.

In the event that you do take a rest day, your tendons will be even more fatigued. Since the muscles recoup faster, they will "come back to work" on tendons that are even worse off, right?

He's thinking too short term I think. That approach, versus just starting light and programing volume and weight conservatively, is bound to cause even more serious injury, if only further on down the road.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    Here's one of the foam rolling articles I was talking about.

http://bretcontreras.com/how-does-foam-rolling-work-and-why-smr-should-be-called-smt/
  • JoRocka
    Options

That's funny; I just read a pretty comprehensive article re: foam rolling-type therapies that basically resulted in these guys saying " we really don't know why foam rolling works."

I'd be really interested to see any solid info you've got.

I'll dig some stuff up- this was probably a year ago- it may be way more bro-science than I remember- but I definitely didn't go sports therapy route in my research. I'm limited- I have no interwebz at home- and limited access at work- I'll try to remember to post up here- if not just PM you at the very least LOL- I'm terribly at coming back to things.

the two things I have come to learn/fed knowledge whatever/broscience/dance science/graston crap whatever

1.) breaking up scar tissue- most tendentious (inflammation) is long past inflammation- it's scar tissue.- hence tendenosis.

the rolling/gratson- stuff breaks down the scar tissue.

2.) increases blood flow.
    moar blood flow- moar O2- moar healing.

3.) Releases tension/tight spots

This also isn't just sports stuff- my dance instructors keep foam rollers at the studio- we use them a LOT on IT bands. It works the same way as a massage- no one questions that those are effective? why is foam rolling any different? it's just a self perpetuated/regulated massage.

Or do we really not have any science to back that up either (not being argumentative- really earnestly asking)

Or are we challenging why massages work as well?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    So I usually have to do a pretty good warm up, and for my elbows I wear neoprene sleeves to keep them "warm". Makes it the more bearable when I have to lift heavier, although with age my strength has diminished year by year.

Probably the best advice you will get on this thread. I suffer from tendonitis and extreme pain & swelling 24/7 in every joint of my body from fingers to hips, knees, elbows etc due to a joint disease that attacks my connective tissues as well.

Keep the problem areas warm with a neoprene sleeve and you will be able to get through it with way less pain. The other thing you probably should do is double check your form. When you are using lower weight, might as well utilize the time to a premium.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    When the additional stress put on these weakened tissues (that never really got a chance to recover) by fresh muscles = injury.

Hmm, that's an interesting thought. What comes to mind though is that training the same thing every day doesn't allow for recouperation at all, even for the tendons you're trying to avoid injuring.

In the event that you do take a rest day, your tendons will be even more fatigued. Since the muscles recoup faster, they will "come back to work" on tendons that are even worse off, right?

He's thinking too short term I think. That approach, versus just starting light and programing volume and weight conservatively, is bound to cause even more serious injury, if only further on down the road.

Well I dunno if I'd accuse John Broz of thinking short-term myself lol. I think that the big takeaway is, possibly (if this idea has any merit at all), that your body is sophisticated enough that it adapts to things you might not expect. Most notably, it is recovering all the time. Even when it's put under stress, it's still trying to rebuild constantly. Obviously if you keep POUNDING it into the ground, it won't be able to keep up. If, however, you keep placing it under *some* strain repeatedly to the point that it has to recognize what's happening as an ongoing activity it needs to nut up and deal with, then some interesting adaptations can occur.

I may be completely off-base, also, as may Perryman and Broz and Pendlay et al. It's entirely possible that there are undiscovered differences between people that distinguish who will benefit from this kind of training and who will not.

Bob Peoples set a deadlift record in 1949 that stood for over 20 years. His program was to pull heavy triples every day. The guy ripped 700 lbs at 180.

I'm just saying there are enough people being successful at it that it's interesting to look at their methodology and see what parts of it can be applied to any type of training.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    1.) breaking up scar tissue- most tendentious (inflammation) is long past inflammation- it's scar tissue.- hence tendenosis.

the rolling/gratson- stuff breaks down the scar tissue.

2.) increases blood flow.
    moar blood flow- moar O2- moar healing.

3.) Releases tension/tight spots

This also isn't just sports stuff- my dance instructors keep foam rollers at the studio- we use them a LOT on IT bands. It works the same way as a massage- no one questions that those are effective? why is foam rolling any different? it's just a self perpetuated/regulated massage.

Or do we really not have any science to back that up either (not being argumentative- really earnestly asking)

The increased blood flow idea actually makes more sense to me than anything else I've heard. Most of what I've read says that actual research doesn't support the idea that scar tissue is actually being broken up, but the science is still REALLY fuzzy. The bottom of that Contreras article links to a ton of other stuff, also.

I'd have to say that the "why" of massage efficacy is also being questioned, but now I need to go look into it lol. I know that I love my massage therapist dearly and am positive that it is effective, too, lol.
  • FrnkLft
    Options

It is different from a massage actually, in one very key way. Massage causes shearing between tissues, where rolling only "rolls" over a given point. So in the later, there's little if any "myofascial release". It's almost equivalent to pressing down on a given spot.

Now, as for the efficacy of massages, I have no idea how/why they might work/not work. Does feel good though, and in my experiance.

Also, rolling has seemed to help me, somehow, especially with my hips. That said, when I started with the rolling, I also started with some other stretching.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    The increased blood flow idea actually makes more sense to me than anything else I've heard. Most of what I've read says that actual research doesn't support the idea that scar tissue is actually being broken up, but the science is still REALLY fuzzy. The bottom of that Contreras article links to a ton of other stuff, also.

I'd have to say that the "why" of massage efficacy is also being questioned, but now I need to go look into it lol. I know that I love my massage therapist dearly and am positive that it is effective, too, lol.

I work with a massage therapist who is awesome at stimulating blood flow.

lIp7bcd.gif