Anyone in or near 40's?

Options

Replies

• wendy_j441
    wendy_j441 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    40 in Feb. I feel good. Think I can feel better. I have the mind set to work at it.
  • Chrisski27
    Chrisski27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 40s and I am trying this AGAIN! Just got a treadmill so hope that helps the exercise part. Also going to try healthy crock pot recipes.
  • vicksg1973
    Options
    Inspiration and motivation incoming!

Summer 2012 I got an epiphany that I was a fatass. The elevator was out at work and I was breathing like a beached pilot whale from climbing three flights of stairs. I remember thinking, "Is THIS what you've become? Is THIS the best you can be?"

I took a long hard, and truthful look at myself. At the advanced age of forty five I'd ballooned up from my physical work weight of one hundred fifty-five pounds to two hundred thirty pounds. My BMI was 34.5, and I was a mere fifteen pounds from being classified as 'morbidly obese'. I was tired all of the time. I didn't really do anything that involved being physical. I'd stopped working in the wood shop I have. Yard work requiring more than me pushing a self-propelled mower didn't get done.

Dropped 73 lbs in 18 months.
    Starting lifting, made gains.
    Humped 1/4 of my new bodyweight in a pack 30-40 miles a week.

On December 4th I fainted at work. On December 9th I had a 16cc benign tumor removed from my heart.

Getting fit made the tumor detectable by sonogram in the ER - it blocked 95% of the atrium.

Getting fit is making my recovery worlds faster - I'm home and running up stairs and turning slow miles on the treadmill.

Getting fit saved my life.

WOW - that really was inspiring! I am sure I'm giving myself all kinds of physical problems because of my weight. For all the ones I know about (hip, foot, snoring, back…) there are probably more going on inside.

I'm so glad for you, and thank you for sharing such a motivating story.
  • yttelyttel
    yttelyttel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    38 and really want to lose weight and get energy up. Could really use support as we'll :) like the idea of the calorie burn tracker arm band (not sure what of the proper name of them). I'll be researching those soon.
  • sophie_gariepy
    sophie_gariepy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you. I am 44 and although I've always gained weight fast, I used to lose it quite fast as well. Not so much these past few years.
  • veggiebuckeye
    veggiebuckeye Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I turn 40 in a mere week and a half and I feel awesome! Feel free to add me.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm 39, so in guy years, I'm actually 34.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am 45. I started out by cutting out alcohol, then incorporating a little bit of exercise, then eating healthier, then adding more exercise then eating a lot healthier. 8 sizes later..........

I did not do it over night, I did not do it in a year, but I did it because I did not give up or starve myself. You can do this and you do not have to be perfect at it, all you have to do is a little better than you did the day before.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I am not new to MFP but have not been on in ages. I turned 40 this last year and feel worse than I have ever felt (and weigh more than I ever have) so I'm back on the bandwagon. I noticed as I neared 40, my body changed a lot and has stopped responding to exercising...it's true...it does get harder at 40!

So I'm looking for others who are in their late 30's or in their 40's to help encourage each other to keep on this!

Waves with both hands: ME! :smile: 45 I am, turning 46 in may, physically that is, still young in mind. And no I don't notice my body stopped responding on exercising, but I did notice dieting doesn't go so easy anymore...
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    As people age (women especially) the metabolism slows down, and muscle is lost. If people continue to eat the same calorie amount as they did in their 30s, they will gain weight. I have numerous friends who did not make changes when they hit their 40s and gained quite a bit of weight. I've been tracking for a long time and exercising regularly, so when I hit 40, I didn't have to worry about it. Since MFP adjusts for age, I know I'm staying under the recommended calories for my age and activity level. Strength training will keep you from losing muscle and thus metabolism, so if you're not doing some light weights, it's a good idea to start. It seems unfair that at 40 we can't eat the way we did at 20!

I'm 41, with IBD with mutliple food intolerances, so I have to track to make sure I eat enough calories to maintain my weight. Otherwise I get too thin. I think it's just as painful to told you're too thin and have things said like "maybe you should go eat a cheeseburger!" as it is to have comments thrown at you when you are overweight.

I could have wrote this, except I am a skinny-fat 48 yr. old guy.
  • LeslieN65
    LeslieN65 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi there!! I am 48 and feel better than ever!! I am comfortable in my own skin now...and I wouldn't change that for ANYTHING! I can do more physically now than I could do when I was younger...and that just makes me happy! Feel free to add me if you would like....I am always happy to make new interactive friends!!
  • TheHorseman
    Options
    I'm 41 trying to quit smoking as well as lose weight at the same time. I have a somewhat physical job that just seems to keep getting more and more difficult. I need support as well. Thanks

Allen Hunt
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 trying to quit smoking as well as lose weight at the same time. I have a somewhat physical job that just seems to keep getting more and more difficult. I need support as well. Thanks

Allen Hunt

I got the same issue. Want to lose weight and wanting to quit the smoking. Good luck with that :)
  • doug_pierce
    Options
    I'll be 40 in about 2 weeks. Can't believe it.
  • Slstephens
    Options
    I just turned 40 this December. I really want this to be my year of change physical, mental and financial. I feel so motivated right now....I just hope that I can stay that way.
  • Tasha1927
    Options
    Wanna Bump this:bigsmile:
  • Sandia_Sweetie
    Sandia_Sweetie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, just turned 40 last week and have been in a plateau for a bit now. But still working on it, not giving up!
  • muderfocker
    muderfocker Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Add me please!
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If people around us would understand that it isn't what they are eating, just the frequency and portion sizes are their undoing. Well, a combo meal from McDonald's does take some serious adjustments on the rest of your day, even in Maintanance, but it isn't completely off limits, but a Big Mac for lunch, then Gumbo and Rice for dinner definately is. What I don't like is the assumptions. Either the "You probable can't eat this" or the "Oh, go ahead, just eat it". Others don't know what you had to eat that day. You may have had a low cal day, and need the calories, or you treated yourself to something you waited for at lunch time, and you feel full and want something lite. I am past worrying about insulting people who have bad eating habits and feel the need to push them on me.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If people around us would understand that it isn't what they are eating, just the frequency and portion sizes are their undoing.

If I could get anyone to understand that I'd be a god. As it is I still get resistance to the idea (when people ask, I never offer out of the blue) to the idea of "eat fewer calories and move more". I'm sure you have a list of excuses heard as much as I do!:grumble: