Best saying your mom ever said to you

Options

Replies

• mekobaby
    Options
    "Stay in school or you will actually have to work for a living"
  • gman1232
    Options
    When I asked my grandmother how her and my grandfather stayed together for over 50 years she said, "Divorce was never on option, murder maybe"

You had to know her to know how funny this was. Her and my grandfather were both two of the kindest people I have ever known.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Toss up between
    The one I live by: Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst AND
    The funniest: Life's a *****, then you marry one, have a few, and then you die.
  • Siobhan108
    Siobhan108 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My mom told me when I got my first paycheck at 16, "always pay your bills, but make sure you pay yourself 10% first, then put it in bank for when you are old and gray " I did and now at 67 I have money to retire.
  • mrspinky85
    mrspinky85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My mom is my source for great advice. One statement that sticks with me is, "The world owe's you nothing". In this day in age when people seem to complain about any and everything it just sticks with me on the way she looks at things.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You always have a choice , after being in verbally abusive relationship and with some others who were not so great , I have always kept that in mind no matter what happens I always have a choice , So I choose to be happy with a man who is an amazing father to our daughters and a wonderful husband am so happy I choose not to settle for less than what I deserved ...

"Clean up your room ,we don't live in barn "mostly said to me as a teenager ,now I tell my daughters that .

"I hope you have a child who acts just like you" , darn it its true , but she did not realize she would be babysitting lol

"Life happens when your busy making plans "
  • Kowee84
    Kowee84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    my mum is pretty blunt.. in the shops she would yell out to me and my sister 'if you dont quit it ill bash your heads together' we always laughed n continued... our heads never got bashed together cos we knew she was all talk lol
    my dad would say ' thats as useful as tits on a bull' i always got an image of a big black bull with udders lol
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Don't cook bacon in the nude.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    You have NO friends I AM your ONLY friend...

NPD Mom?
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The best one I didn't listen to was 'engagement is a trial for marriage - if its sh"t then walk'

The best piece - 'do whatever makes you happy, not what's expected of you, life's too short' I live by that now :)
  • charliex2202
    charliex2202 Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options
    The two best things my mum has ever said is...

~If at first you don't succeed try try try again...
    ~and tomoro is a new day draw a line under yesterday and start again.
  • gman1232
    Options
    ~and tomoro is a new day draw a line under yesterday and start again.

Love this one!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I've had a difficult relationship with my mother. And we would often get into difficult fights when I was a child/teen on Holidays or when we were going to see family (or maybe I just noticed it more at those times because they were supposed to be happy times). One time I was in a very difficult fight with my mother. My great grand aunt (she was my grandmother's aunt) was on her way over. When she got there. She saw that I was crying and frustrated. There was just nothing I could say that would get my mother to just stop yelling at me and just hear me. And what she did was a huge turning point for me and has always stuck with me. Whenever I needed to draw on a sense of comfort I remembered her that day. She walked in and she looked at me and she looked at my mother and she didn't just take my mother's side, she watched and she listened. And it was like someone saw me and heard for the first time in my life. She didn't tell me that no matter what I must be wrong, or punish me, or tell me to just do whatever my mother said, or laugh at me, or belittle me. She stopped and she looked at me with compassion. She walked over and she sat down with me. She put her hand on my back. She said in a very understanding and compassionate voice, "You are upset, you are sad, you have a lot of feelings. I understand how you feel. I remember being your age. I remember feeling so many feelings and needing to be heard and understood." And when she did that all the troubles just stopped for that moment, and for that day. She was the oldest person in my family and she understood what it was like to be 11 years old (or however old I was). It didn't matter what the specifics were (because I knew that I couldn't talk about it, get help, or solve the problems in that one day). I just knew that she genuinely understood and that she felt that my feelings mattered. Just to matter was an important thing. For someone to really care meant something to me. To not have to pretend that everything was ok just to get the fighting to stop. It stopped because she really cared.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Referring to my sisters and I (I am the oldest):

"With you, I never had to threaten to call the cops. With (middle daughter), I had to threaten it once, and with (youngest daughter), I actually will have to".

Funny thing is that I was probably worse than they were when I was younger... But since I was the oldest she had no idea what I was doing so I got away with everything :devil:
  • cecesmiles
    Options
    " Real girls aren't perfect and perfect girls aren't real....Be the best you can be" :D
  • Wifey7891
    Options
    money always takes care of itself
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Don't ask questions to which you don't want the answers.
  • Dino_bacon2112
    Dino_bacon2112 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    "The best way to get over somebody, is under someone else".

THIS.
  • Celestestarbaby
    Options
    "The land of milk and honey is also the land of goats and bees."
  • runlauralouiserun
    Options
    This is not positive. My mom taught me that my worth is the number on the scale. That being Skinny is the only way to be pretty, and that, and I quote "If I was happy with my body, that's when I would know that I have lost the battle"