Saving exercise calories (challenge)

Options
Starting Monday November 15, I am going to stay under my calories for a whole week without using my exercise calories. I will log EVERYTHING THAT I EAT! No matter how many exercise calories I burn, I will not use ANY of them to stay under my daily calories. I WILL NOT CHEAT, I WILL NOT CUT CORNERS!

I plan to weigh in on Monday and not step on the scale again until November 22. That's saying a lot because I usually get on the scale every other day. When I see that I am doing good, I subconsciously give myself a pass to eat a little more.

I'm doing this A) to get into the routine of logging EVERYTHING regularly. B) Wednesday I burned over 1000 calories and ended up eating almost all of them. C) to try to end the debate of whether to eat or not to eat your exercise calories.

You can check in throughout the week to let me know your progress or you can just check back in a week to report your loss. You don't have to tell us the actual number you weigh, if you don't want to, just how much you lost in that week. I just want to see if we have a bigger loss than in the past when you ate some or all of your exercise calories.

Anyone else up for the challenge? Don't leave me hanging to do this alone. The more, the better in determining the importance of your exercise calories.

Thanks for giving me a little of your time.
Leela.

Replies

• npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm up for it! Let's do it!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I'm not up for it as I dont log my exercise so I dont eat any extra cals but I would be interested in seeing your results.

Good luck
  • deannaboo
    deannaboo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm in for it ..I usually never eat more than my allowed calorie intake and have seen a little weight loss...But somethimes I don't log in everthing
  • sandyvanderstelt
    Options
    i'm in!! i need some motivation :)
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    i'm in since it ends before thanksgiving! :-)... definitely going to be hard but i love the motivation!
  • grogers421
    grogers421 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Consider me in on this. I try to do this all the time but have not been as dilligent as I could be. It will be interesting to see what happens. Best of luck.
  • naturebaby
    Options
    :drinker: i'll watch and see what up with it all..
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    I heard it's bad not to eat your exercise cals as it could cause your body to go into starvation mode and make it harder to lose weight.
  • groucherella
    Options
    Very challenging for me! I will do this with you! I hope I dont gnaw my arm off from hunger or get the shake or rock back and forth holding my knees singing mariah carey with a glazed look in my eye.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I just have to make a comment here. First - I NEVER eat my exercise calories and I have been consistently losing weight for 5 months at a rate of about 10 pounds per month. I can't speak for everyone, but I have researched the "starvation mode" theory extensively. I AM NOT IN STARVATION MODE - NOR HAVE I EVER COME CLOSE TO BEING IN STARVATION MODE. I always have enough energy to work 10 - 12 hours at work a day and then do an extraordinary amount of hard physical labor nearly every single weekend (when I haven't injured myself some how at least).

Try researching the "starvation mode" theory. Try it out for yourself. I think if more people would make healthy decisions for themselves, they may not struggle so much. Having a guide to go by is very important - but living your life religiously by something that is designed to be "just a guide" doesn't make sense. Ask others out there if they are experiencing "starvation mode" or if they know of anyone who has eaten realistically, and exercised has ever experienced it. We all do hit plateaus - but those can be overcome by changing or switching up our diet and/or exercise patterns.

Please use common sense when eating and exercising and do monitor your blood pressure and your heart rate. See a medical professional if you experience fatigue, dizziness, etc. Do take care of yourself - but don't let the "myths" dictate what you do and how you manage your life. RESEARCH - all of the information you need is at your fingertips.

Vickie
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    C) to try to end the debate of whether to eat or not to eat your exercise calories.

I doubt this little experiment of yours is going to end the debate. It isn't scientific, there are no controls, and way too many factors that could affect the weight loss. Plus, one week and handful of volunteers is in no way determinative as to what all people trying to lose weight should do.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and stick with what has already been working for me and hundreds of other MFP success stories.

I don't think it's a wise idea to refuse to fuel your body....

just sayin'
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    C) to try to end the debate of whether to eat or not to eat your exercise calories.

I doubt this little experiment of yours is going to end the debate. It isn't scientific, there are no controls, and way too many factors that could affect the weight loss. Plus, one week and handful of volunteers is in no way determinative as to what all people trying to lose weight should do.

Well Debbie downer!!! It's self motivation and gratification and something she and apparently a lot of other people are willing to try for themselves. Not some scientific experiment as to where she will publish a book on the matter. Do you find pleasure in crushing peoples goals? If so, just don't comment and get out of here.

Leela... If you couldn't tell, I'm in.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    i thnk she was commenting on the wisdom of the goal.

there are a hundred unhealthy methods out there. MFP is a safe and guaranteed to work way to lose weight steadily and keep it off.

Why would you want to fight the system? Especially when the system works so well?
  • maureensc
    Options
    I am up for this challenge. I need to be stronger this time of year!
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options

there are a hundred unhealthy methods out there. MFP is a safe and guaranteed to work way to lose weight steadily and keep it off.

Why would you want to fight the system? Especially when the system works so well?

Maybe shes at a plateau, trying something different. Nit like it's going to be the rest of her life!!!! You change things from time to time. Everyone doesn't do the same exact thing. I follow the PRIMAL BLUEPRINT do you have something to say about that? I don't average 300 carbs a day like most people on here. I'm losing, I'm healthy, energetic. Not everyone is so uniform to think there is only one way. As I say, it's like religion-who knows who's right!!!
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I heard it's bad not to eat your exercise cals as it could cause your body to go into starvation mode and make it harder to lose weight.

Have you seen my photo? I'm far from starving! :) I don't think one week is really going to be damaging to my metabolism. In fact, it might give it the jump start that it needs. When I burn mega calories, I do try to eat some of them. But I don't want to have the mentality like oh, I have 400 extra calories that I burned, so its okay to eat 200 of them on ______ (fill in the blank with something thats not the most healthy to eat on a regular basis).

I appreciate everyone who commented regardless if you agree or disagree. I'm okay to agree to disagree. As I mentioned in my first post, this is something that I plan to do for myself and if a few others want to join in, great. If you have something that's already working for you, then that's great too. If you want to be a spectator and see how it plays out, than that's fine too.

The forums are open to anyone and everyone has an opinion and can express it. I would just appreciate you keeping "the not so positive" comments to yourself.

Thanks in advance.
    Good luck everyone.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options

This discussion could go on forever. It doesn't ALWAYS work for EVERYONE. Being able to decide for one's self what does work and what doesn't is part of being an individual with human rights to make choices. To challenge the status quo is part of life - where would any nation be, if what was placed before us was just "accepted" and never challenged. It is our right and in fact, in my opinion, my obligation to challenge and question all that might impact me and my well being. So, having said that. Each person is entitled to their opinion. No one is saying that someone "should" or "shouldn't" engage in this challenge - it is an invitation - that adults can choose to engage in or choose not to engage in.

Vickie
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    Nit like it's going to be the rest of her life!!!!

I know you meant to say "not"

THAT is my exact point. I am trying to follow a lifestyle that I WILL be able to follow for the rest of my life.

As for the Primal diet thing... I think it's very lopsided. I don't like any of the fad diets that eliminate whole food groups. But if that's what you like to do....good for you. I truly mean that sincerely.

But when I see posts that sing the praises of an unhealthy method of any kind, I speak up and point out that MFP is 100% safe, effective and WORKS! A balanced diet and a moderate level of exercise are GOOD advice for every human.