Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Leading up to the new year were a whole bunch of threads from users complaining about all the newbies who would be joining THEIR gym (because clearly only their money counts). Threads about how the newbies would be taking up all the equipment, using it wrong, and how the newbies should just hurry up with failing so the gym can be less crowded again. It was almost as though people thought these newbies didn't belong at THEIR gym (seriously, the newbies money was probably worth less than their money right?). It was almost as though people wished the newbies would all go someplace else. Like, hmm, I dunno, a gym aimed at newbies?

PF may be aimed at newbies, but only insofar as that they are easy to exploit.

Planet "Fitness" doesn't actually help people become fit. It actively obscures the path to fitness, demonizes the people who have actually achieved success, and fails to provide the most useful and efficient tools and instruction to become fit.

People complain about ignorant newbies because they make no effort to educate themselves or learn how to do things properly. These are people that are unprepared mentally to actually succeed. No amount of time at Planet Fitness will imbue some newbie with the mindset and education to succeed. I've seen so many people just show at the gym and just make it up as they go. When I first showed up at the gym, I had educated myself beforehand and made sure that what I was doing made sense.

PF simply exploits the ignorance of newbies by playing on their fears and inadequacies in calling successful people "lunks" and so forth. It provides an environment where unfit people can feel better about themselves because at least they're not some a-hole bodybuilder. It relies on this to sustain membership dues and, as an organization, it clearly doesn't give a damn if anyone actually gets fit.
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've got to say, for someone like me who was completely intimidated by going to the gym at the beginning of my weight loss journey, I was relieved and glad to have a place like Planet Fitness. I didn't feel as self-conscious or uncomfortable while I learned fitness. Now that I'm almost a year into my new lifestyle, I've grown more comfortable in a gym setting and would be confident enough to go to another gym. But I'm still grateful that I had my time at Pf in the beginning. I think if I had not had the experience there that I had, I would probably not be where I am now. Perhaps many people who go there are like me and actually need and appreciate their approach. What is so wrong with starting at PF and then moving on to something more advanced once you're ready?

Also, in my time there, I've never seen a squat rack but have seen and used lots of other amazing equipment including weight machines, all types of free weights, three different kinds of bike machines, treadmills, and ellipticals.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have no other gym near me and I live in a crappy upstairs apartment so I have no other ways to exercise. It's an ok gym for the money. The employees are kinda snotty. I got sick from idiots sneezing and coughing right in front of me. (don't go to the gym sick!) And there are way too many 13 year old girls!! That's my main complaints. Just wanted to rant. :devil:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've got to say, for someone like me who was completely intimidated by going to the gym at the beginning of my weight loss journey, I was relieved and glad to have a place like Planet Fitness. I didn't feel as self-conscious or uncomfortable while I learned fitness. Now that I'm almost a year into my new lifestyle, I've grown more comfortable in a gym setting and would be confident enough to go to another gym. But I'm still grateful that I had my time at Pf in the beginning. I think if I had not had the experience there that I had, I would probably not be where I am now. Perhaps many people who go there are like me and actually need and appreciate their approach. What is so wrong with starting at PF and then moving on to something more advanced once you're ready?

Also, in my time there, I've never seen a squat rack but have seen and used lots of other amazing equipment including weight machines, all types of free weights, three different kinds of bike machines, treadmills, and ellipticals.

Like I said in my post above-- I think there are much better ways that they could make their gyms more accessible to newbies without demonizing those who are successful and fit.

I am glad you have had a good experience and feel comfortable in a gym setting.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

if you have been working out for a year and have never attempted a barbell squat or a deadlift then you are just setting yourself behind the eight ball as these are the moves that are going to provide the most gains and increase overall strength and aid in decreasing body fat..

Wouldn't you have rather spent a year learning all the necessary movements to make a better you? Rather than find out a year in that you now have to re-learn certain moves, and are, essentially, a newbie all over again?
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    *shrugs*

I like Planet Fitness. It's (relatively) close to where I live and it's cheap. My husband has the black card so I get to go for free as his guest. Any other gym we'd have to either get separate memberships or the "family pack" which isn't that much cheaper. The people who work there are wicked nice and friendly. Always saying hi when they see us on the floor and stopping to chat for a second. While I'd like to have a squat rack it's not really necessary. Neither is a billion pounds of free weights. If my goal was to bench 2x my body weight than yeah, I'd have an issue but that's not my goal. I lift heavy (for me) but I'm not aiming to be a power lifter or someone who struts around and asks how much others bench and then brag about how much I can lift. Don't get me wrong I think it's awesome that people can lift huge amounts of weight but what's the point but it's not about the amount that you lift but your form and really targeting the muscles that you're working (and FWIW that advice came from my huge body builder friend who was working out with us one day).

As for the removing of the squat racks again, it depends on the PF location as they're independently owned it's up to the owners as to what they want to do.

I also can deadlift at my PF without getting yelled at. I've done it in front of the owner and the manager and they've never stopped me.

I've barbell squatted in the past at the fitness center I used to go to where I worked. I've also squatted with the smith machine. I never felt I had to "relearn" the movements. If my gym were to put in a squat rack I'm pretty confident that even though I've been squatting with the smith machine that I'd be able to squat in a squat rack with perfect form.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I'm not aiming to be a power lifter or someone who struts around and asks how much others bench and then brag about how much I can lift.

Planet Fitness has clearly succeeded in demonizing weightlifting for you. You equate progress with the lifts you're already doing as becoming some "lunk" to "struts around" and "brags."

That's... not reality. As you progress in your lifting, you don't suddenly turn into some huge jerk.

You don't mention what your goal is, but presumably it's progress and not stagnation.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    PF Employee: "I'm sorry, but we're going to have to ask you to leave. You're sweating. Sweating is strictly prohibited as it intimidates the other clients. You're just not the type of person we want at Planet Fitness."
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I'm not aiming to be a power lifter or someone who struts around and asks how much others bench and then brag about how much I can lift.

Planet Fitness has clearly succeeded in demonizing weightlifting for you. You equate progress with the lifts you're already doing as becoming some "lunk" to "struts around" and "brags."

That's... not reality. As you progress in your lifting, you don't suddenly turn into some huge jerk.

You don't mention what your goal is, but presumably it's progress and not stagnation.

Read into things much? I used to work out at a fitness center where I worked that had decent equipment including a squat rack. My goal has never been to become a power lifter or to lift 2x my body weight just to say that I can. Perhaps I worded my comment wrong.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Read into things much? I used to work out at a fitness center where I worked that had decent equipment including a squat rack. My goal has never been to become a power lifter or to lift 2x my body weight just to say that I can. Perhaps I worded my comment wrong.

You equate "lift 2x my body weight" with "strutting around" and "bragging."

What ARE your goals?
  • tnicmorris
    Options

if you have been working out for a year and have never attempted a barbell squat or a deadlift then you are just setting yourself behind the eight ball as these are the moves that are going to provide the most gains and increase overall strength and aid in decreasing body fat..

Wouldn't you have rather spent a year learning all the necessary movements to make a better you? Rather than find out a year in that you now have to re-learn certain moves, and are, essentially, a newbie all over again?

Wow. I never said that. I have done squats, just not on a squat rack. I'd never even heard of such a thing and I have some pretty athletic and in shape friends and relatives. And I haven't done a deadlift because my goal in starting my journey was to start with cardio and ease myself into weight lifting. And I did that, by using the weight machines and getting a friend of mine to show me the correct form on the free weights. So, I did learn the proper form for some things and will continue to learn the proper form on other things as I advance. And I did in it a place where I didn't feel stupid while learning.

I'm not saying that people who are more serious about weight lifting should be satisfied with Planet Fitness. If PF doesn't have what you need for your regime, then by all means, don't waste your money there. But for those of us that Planet Fitness does help, don't make us feel less than because we're at the level that they are offering.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Leading up to the new year were a whole bunch of threads from users complaining about all the newbies who would be joining THEIR gym (because clearly only their money counts). Threads about how the newbies would be taking up all the equipment, using it wrong, and how the newbies should just hurry up with failing so the gym can be less crowded again. It was almost as though people thought these newbies didn't belong at THEIR gym (seriously, the newbies money was probably worth less than their money right?). It was almost as though people wished the newbies would all go someplace else. Like, hmm, I dunno, a gym aimed at newbies?

That's actually not what those threads are about. It's a discussion about a cycle, a cycle that happens every year. The gym fills up in January, and empties back out by February.

It happens, there's no denying it.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    we're at the level that they are offering.

That doesn't really mean anything, honestly. There's no "level" you need to be at to do squats and deadlifts. I'm not sure what weight training you're doing at PF, but they clearly fail to offer the most effective tools out there for people in your situation.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Wow. I never said that. I have done squats, just not on a squat rack. I'd never even heard of such a thing and I have some pretty athletic and in shape friends and relatives. And I haven't done a deadlift because my goal in starting my journey was to start with cardio and ease myself into weight lifting. And I did that, by using the weight machines and getting a friend of mine to show me the correct form on the free weights. So, I did learn the proper form for some things and will continue to learn the proper form on other things as I advance. And I did in it a place where I didn't feel stupid while learning.

I'm not saying that people who are more serious about weight lifting should be satisfied with Planet Fitness. If PF doesn't have what you need for your regime, then by all means, don't waste your money there. But for those of us that Planet Fitness does help, don't make us feel less than because we're at the level that they are offering.

I am just trying to point out that you are missing out on two of the most efficient moves for increasing strength and reducing body fat…

I am saying that people that join a gym that restricts them from using two of the most efficient moves in the weight training tool box are missing out, and it is going to make their performance and/or goals suffer.
  • ndj1979
    Options

You equate "lift 2x my body weight" with "strutting around" and "bragging."

What ARE your goals?

< can lift two times body weight and is not a power lifter…just saying...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Well that's just dumb? Don't they have people there to help make squat racks LESS intimidating... and if they are going to get rid of them, maybe they can give one or two to a city rec/fitness center... I know ours could use a few more.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options

I am just trying to point out that you are missing out on two of the most efficient moves for increasing strength and reducing body fat…

I am saying that people that join a gym that restricts them from using two of the most efficient moves in the weight training tool box are missing out, and it is going to make their performance and/or goals suffer.

I think the point is not everyone wants or likes to lift. In addition if made to start with lifting someone may not stick with it. People have different goals and reasons for what they do.
  • tnicmorris
    Options

That doesn't really mean anything, honestly. There's no "level" you need to be at to do squats and deadlifts. I'm not sure what weight training you're doing at PF, but they clearly fail to offer the most effective tools out there for people in your situation.

There are levels. And the first one is "beginner". At least that's how it was for me. I didn't stay at the beginner level. I've progressed beyond that and I plan to progress beyond the level I am now to more advanced things. And working my way up slowing and adding different activities as I go is how I build discipline. It would mean nothing for me to start at a more advanced level, get frustrated with myself, and then quit. Which I have done in the past. But, when I started off slowly at a beginner's level, I gained confidence, strength, and discipline. And, when I outgrew the beginner's level activities, it made me want to push myself to more. That's all I'm saying. Joining PF helped me do that. I NEEDED that to get myself where I am to day and to help motivate me to more in the future. I will probably outgrow PF soon. And when I do, I'll move on to something else. And that's fine too. As a matter of fact, that was always my goal. The fact that I can say that I am outgrowing PF is a HUGE accomplishment for me when two years ago, a twenty minute walk was painful for me.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    This has always been their corporate policy since their inception. It's just that many franchise locations were free to disregard that policy, or just plain ignored it. PF has decided to crack down now, and the franchise locations that have been allowed to go on disregarding their "no squat racks" policy are going to have to become fully compliant. I used to be a member of a PF that was "100% compliant." It had no free weights except for a relatively small selection of dumbbells, a single Smith machine, a bunch of isolation machines, and row upon row upon row of cardio equipment. Sooner or later all all PFs will go this route as a result of corporate cracking down.
  • jonnythan
    Options

There are levels. And the first one is "beginner". At least that's how it was for me. I didn't stay at the beginner level. I've progressed beyond that and I plan to progress beyond the level I am now to more advanced things. And working my way up slowing and adding different activities as I go is how I build discipline. It would mean nothing for me to start at a more advanced level, get frustrated with myself, and then quit. Which I have done in the past. But, when I started off slowly at a beginner's level, I gained confidence, strength, and discipline. And, when I outgrew the beginner's level activities, it made me want to push myself to more. That's all I'm saying. Joining PF helped me do that. I NEEDED that to get myself where I am to day and to help motivate me to more in the future. I will probably outgrow PF soon. And when I do, I'll move on to something else. And that's fine too. As a matter of fact, that was always my goal. The fact that I can say that I am outgrowing PF is a HUGE accomplishment for me when two years ago, a twenty minute walk was painful for me.

Are these Planet Fitness "levels"? These don't make any sense.

The absolute first thing I would teach an absolute, know-nothing newbie is how to squat. Period, end of story. It's the single most effective and efficient exercise you can do for fat loss, strength, and muscle development.

I'm happy for your progress and all, but you're really selling yourself short by convincing yourself (or letting other people convince you) that you're not ready for "real" exercise or something.