Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    They REALLY do offer pizza, bagels, and Tootsie Rolls at PF?

Pizza is the first Monday of the month and bagels and coffee is the second Tuesday and NO, you're not forced to eat them. I am never at the gym at night and even if I was I wouldn't eat the pizza. I do partake in the coffee if I am there early on Tuesday and once in a while I'll grab a bagel and take it home. 9 times out of 10 I don't eat it.

I honestly don't see any difference to offering these foods than a gym that has say a smoothie bar where the smoothies can have as many calories (maybe even more) than a slice of pizza.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Eh, apparently this type of marketing works for them. There are plenty of other gyms that DO have squat racks.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I never understood the whole "being intimidated and self-conscious" going to a gym thing. Why? Because people might be more fit, look better, and are more secure than you? Afraid that some people might not be walking bags of insecurity and self-doubt? If your intimidated by something, then isn't that your weakness? Why should the accomplished have to suffer because of how you feel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUfSwIXWqb4
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Pizza is the first Monday of the month and bagels and coffee is the second Tuesday and NO, you're not forced to eat them. I am never at the gym at night and even if I was I wouldn't eat the pizza. I do partake in the coffee if I am there early on Tuesday and once in a while I'll grab a bagel and take it home. 9 times out of 10 I don't eat it.

I honestly don't see any difference to offering these foods than a gym that has say a smoothie bar where the smoothies can have as many calories (maybe even more) than a slice of pizza.

The smoothies aren't free ;)
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I go to planet fitness. I've been a member for 2 years. It helped me train for and complete a tough mudder and my first full marathon. They have plenty of free weights, pull up bars, and an area to work on core strength. They also have smith machines that I used to do squats and made quite of bit of progress on. Of course a lot of my time in the winter is spent on the treadmill. That doesn't make me a cardio bunny. That makes me a runner. Go treadmill users! There is nothing wrong with us!

I like planet fitness. I'm sure it's not for everybody, but I'm in fairly good shape and it has worked well for my purposes. I wouldn't be able to afford a more expensive gym.

I wouldn't have any problem if Ricky from the sign also wanted to use planet fitness, but perhaps there would be some people there who would find that intimidating. I'm glad there's lot of gym choices out there.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I have a membership at Planet Fitness and another membership at a "lunk" gym - they are both $10/mo. One is better for cardio, the other is better for strength training. The open 24/7 thing at Planet Fitness is what prompted my joining - I hate that my other gym closes at like 4pm on the weekend.

At the Planet Fitness there are 3 Smith Machines, dumbbells (granted not many) and no barbells ... not that it would even matter, none of the members touch them. I'd have free reign of that area if I wanted it. It'll be crowded and EVERYONE will be on treadmills (walking) and on the elipticals. I was there last night sprinting with incline drenched in sweat, everyone else was dry and walking at a lesiurely pace ... thank goodness I didn't get lunk alarmed and thrown out :laugh:

Could that have actually happened there?

I see people running all the time on the treadmills at my PF. Sometimes I can't get one because they're full of people running. I run, sprint, jog what have you. I have seen people leave puddles of sweat beneath the machine they're working out on as well.

And yeah, I see people walking, strolling do things at a leisurely pace but they also do that at other gyms.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    lunk-alarm-640x250.jpg

So..drinking out of a gallon water jug is... judgmental?

Oh..

is this the judgement fee zone that judge a guy with a gallon of water jug?

It's the judgement free zone that's (not?) judging a guy wearing a body building tank top.

Take your pick, I guess.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    lunk-alarm-640x250.jpg

"Ricky" sounds like a normal gym go-er to me. I must go to an intimidating gym.....

I want to know why specifically a gallon? Is Ricky committing some kind of faux pas by being really thirsty? Educate an ignorant Englishman, please?

It DOES look funny when I see people carrying gallon jugs of water, but I, myself, have been particularly parched since I started working out and adhering to my diet. The 20 oz. bottles of water really don't cut it, anymore. Then again, I just re-fill the 20 oz. bottles, throughout the day. (We get them free at work, and that's the size they chose to offer.) I just figure that they must be really thirsty, and the one guy that I see near my office that carries a gallon jug of water is really hot (no pun intended). He's not even a tall/big, "muscley" guy. Lunk in training, like me? Lol! :love:
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

And you are completely missing my point.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

And you are completely missing my point.

The smoothies are different because they're not free. That's the difference. You have to buy them. Gyms with smoothie bars don't hand you a free smoothie.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have a membership at Planet Fitness and another membership at a "lunk" gym - they are both $10/mo. One is better for cardio, the other is better for strength training. The open 24/7 thing at Planet Fitness is what prompted my joining - I hate that my other gym closes at like 4pm on the weekend.

At the Planet Fitness there are 3 Smith Machines, dumbbells (granted not many) and no barbells ... not that it would even matter, none of the members touch them. I'd have free reign of that area if I wanted it. It'll be crowded and EVERYONE will be on treadmills (walking) and on the elipticals. I was there last night sprinting with incline drenched in sweat, everyone else was dry and walking at a lesiurely pace ... thank goodness I didn't get lunk alarmed and thrown out :laugh:

I see people running all the time on the treadmills at my PF. Sometimes I can't get one because they're full of people running. I run, sprint, jog what have you. I have seen people leave puddles of sweat beneath the machine they're working out on as well.

And yeah, I see people walking, strolling do things at a leisurely pace but they also do that at other gyms.

Um, OK.

I meant running the risk of getting lunked (I hate myself for typing that) and getting kicked out.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

If I could find a gym that had slices of pizza that contained the same nutrients as the type of smoothie you're talking about, I'd join immediately.

/in4 50g protein/30g carb pizza
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Agreed. I'd just never heard of this. I drink smoothies, occasionally, but I do it for protein, and I drink the lower cal ones. I eat pizza, too, occasionally. Coffee? Twice/day. I don't care for Tootsie Rolls, though. I'd prefer M&M's. It would be really convenient if I could get a post work-out smoothie at the gym, though.

Musings over. :smile:
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

I've heard stranger things ... just google "kicked out of planet fitness"
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My gym has free beer. Every day, all day. It's the Coors Wellness Center. I've actually never had any of it, but then again I also get free Coors at my house so there's not much appeal. (My husband works there).
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    My gym has free beer. Every day, all day. It's the Coors Wellness Center. I've actually never had any of it, but then again I also get free Coors at my house so there's not much appeal. (My husband works there).

Mmmm...beer. :drinker:
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem here.

People who want to use squat racks have lots of gym choices.

People who don't want gyms with people who use racks have apparently only one choice. Why do you want to take that choice away from those people?

People who don't want squat racks should buy a treadmill or elliptical on craigslist and save themselves membership fees.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I don't see the problem here.

People who want to use squat racks have lots of gym choices.

People who don't want gyms with people who use racks have apparently only one choice. Why do you want to take that choice away from those people?

People who don't want squat racks should buy a treadmill or elliptical on craigslist and save themselves membership fees.

People who don't want a squat rack don't necessarily want to only do cardio.
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options

I wish I had room in my apartment for a treadmill/elliptical

*sighs* 1st world problems.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

Now if I found a gym that offered wine I'd be all over that.

Hmmm. Possible business opp??