Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Is it true they have pizza parties and bagels there? Being new to this (no, I'm not a resolutioner, I started in October and still at it :) ), I can't even imaging being tempted to eat junk at the place where I go to for healthy living.

Pizza and bagels are not junk! Don't be absurd!

There was a nice brick oven mom and pop pizza shop in my town that PF got pizza from and that's how I found them (Pizza shop)

They of course went out of business because people in my town won't pay extra for quality food when they can get crap/junk pizza from Dominoes.

My PF now gets dominoes, they still have some left at 9:00pm when I feel it's safe to go in on that night. Before then people come out of the woodwork to get free pizza. Generally I don't go into the gym on Pizza monday, not because I fear pizza but because I don't want to be tripping all over everyone who won't be there the rest of the month.

Dominoes is crap pizza for sure.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Re: Pizza. Costco take And Bake is the best.
    Re: PF? BS.
    The first trainer I worked with had me doing dead lifts from the start. The only reason he didn't have me doing barbell squats is because my left arm can't go back far enough. So I do dumbbell squats and rack squats.
    And the "Lunk Alarm" is by definition being judgmental.
    If you want a real no judgement zone join a YMCA. There is probably no other fitness center where you will seen teenagers working out along side octogenarians. And their pools have life guards. The Rush doesn't.
    YMCA may cost more per month but you get more too.

If PF's model is to only cater to beginners, they are clearly not thinking long term. Anyone taking their fitness seriously moves out of beginner after a week or two.
    Stop worrying about what others think and just get moving.
    Who cares what PF management thinks with their stupid rules and dress codes. My guess is they will eventually have to ditch the rules to stay in business and try to actually be a no judgement zone.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else see this weird account of PF removing squat racks because people found them intimidating? That's just Reddit being garbage, right?
    http://elitedaily.com/sports/planet-fitness-cuts-squat-racks-facilities-quest-become-worst-gym/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=planet-fitness-cuts-squat-racks-facilities-quest-become-worst-gym

its not a gym, its Planet Fitness!!!!!

I've been going for four years, there are at least 4 around me and saddly, none have ever had a squat rack.

We used to have two flat benches and one incline bench (with uprights for a barbell, there are plenty of dumbell benches), then they got rid of one of the flat benches and the only incline bench. A gym with one flat bench, wtf?

my PF is moving to a new location. I asked the guy behind the counter if they would get more equipment. He was like 'yea we are getting a ton of new stuff'. I asked if they would add more weight equipment. His response was 'we will have the same range'. a bit cryptic. so i ask 'will you get another flat bench'. he said 'no way man, if anything we are getting rid of that bench too!'

i'm 99% sure they are going to get rid of the three smith machines (i hate these but when there is no squat rack, and, indeed, no bar, you make do with what you can), the one bar and one bench they have left, as well as the leg press sled and ALL of the plates
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I find it very interesting how mentioning Planet Fitness in a forum can get such a response.

I have belonged to one for three years now. When I first started all I really wanted to do was cardio and that was all I did. When I wanted to start strength training, I met with the trainer (who was free) who showed me a lot of good exercises using what they have and I did get stronger. About 9 months ago, they remodeled the whole place and almost all the equipment is now new. This particular location never did have a squat rack and during the remodel they took out the bench presses. They did add 5 new smith machines. I recently started NROL4W and have been able to do my squats and deadlifts in the smith machines. Not ideal, but workable. There are lots of very strong people doing lots of very strong lifting in my PF. The staff does not say anything to them...no one is made to feel unwelcome.

I will agree with other posters about the ridiculous lunk alarm. It truly is a big sign judging people in a place that isn't supposed to judge. It was taken down during the remodel and wasn't put back up until a few months after it was all complete. I was hoping that it would disappear all together, but no such luck.

You get out of any gym what you put into it. I started out squatting 30# and now can do 135# with no problems. That's progress!

And for the pizza and bagels...I have only ever once found myself there on free pizza night. It was just like any other place with free food in S Florida with mainly older people eating. No one forces you to eat it.

I know that not all locations are the same, but the equipment and staff at mine are outstanding. And it is only 1 1/2 miles from my house so it is very convenient. I wouldn't be there 4 - 5 times a week if I wasn't getting anything out of it.

ETA - I can't remember the last time I heard that lunk alarm actually go off!
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    And the "Lunk Alarm" is by definition being judgmental.

i know! every 15 min it comes over the PA system 'were a judgment free zone, which means we dont tolerate lunks'

you might as well say 'we dont judge you, UNLESS ....'
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    not all PFs are the same

sometimes you get lucky and they have a real trainner. The first one i was at had a woman with at least 3 post graduate degrees. she was quite the accomplished trainner. then they remodeled, got rib of nearly all the weights, got rid of her office and replaced her with some fat guy.

Most PFs i've been to the 'trainner' is some highschool kid with zero cridentials and a clip board. They had my parents doing more sets then i did in highshcool. not suprisingly my dad stopped going after a few days.

but thats what they want anyway, because its the ONLY way a 10 a month gym can stay afloat, if 60% or more of the members never go
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    50a5dc36fb22cd6001ec6446d99141abfb09f9f98544a1c7630cb1d23922d32d.jpg
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Their ads include in lunks: what we call 'cardio bunnies' here, alternative yoga folks, guys who hit on everything that moves or want to show their parts to anyone that moves, and generally a lot of loud people (who do have good muscles, yes). I'm a yoga enthusiast and laughed at the commercial targeting me as a lunk. And I'm not all 'butthurt' that they don't do yoga or make fun of that in an ad.

They never say that weightlifters are lunks. They always have them doing something obnoxious. It's a fine line and their implication is pretty clear, but for every 'lunk' thing I see or hear, I read about pink dumbbells on forums like these. That's hypocritical, too. These fully-freeweight gyms may as well have ads with the pink barbell girls, imho. Everyone would get a laugh and everyone knows where they stand.

Yes, they are trying to keep the folks who think that Olympic lifts (etc) are the only key to success away. Really, they are. It's a good marketing strategy, and I think most folks will be just fine either way. I wish I could get what I needed out of it because of their price and hours, but I can't, so I won't. No big deal. I don't go to Curves, either. I just have a different routine.
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have kind of a random work schedule, so I signed up at PF because they're 24 hours. Terrible mistake. With just a few months of consistent lifting I need larger dumbbells than they offer. Unfortunately, their ads that say "no contract" are kind of misleading. If you get the Black Card, you're locked in for a year. So now I'm paying for TWO gyms: one that has the equipment I need, and PF because it's cheaper to just ride out the 1-year commitment at this point than to pay the early termination fee.

There should definitely be a one month trial at PF so this kind of thing doesn't happen. Especially since they cater to a specific target demographic. That sucks to have to pay two memberships.

LOL Honey, what about 3-5 ppl have been desperately trying to tell you is that this should likely be EVERYONE's experience. MOST people who incorporate strenght training for it's obvious benefits will outgrow the weights provided there before the membership expires.

Oh Dear God. What I've been desperately trying to tell 3-5 people is that NOTHING applies to EVERYONE. My experience has been MY experience. I stand by the fact that PF was what I needed when I needed it. And what I have also DESPERATELY been trying to tell 3-5, and now 6 people, is that when the day comes that I become desperate to do deadlifts and I just absolutely HAVE to lift more than 65 pound free weights, I will go somewhere that allows me to do so.

I don't understand why its such a hard concept. If you find something beneficial TO YOU, you use it until its no longer useful TO YOU. Then, you move on to something else that is useful...TO YOU.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have a black card here in CT. I I use 4 locations and only one has a squat rack. I am okay with that. Having been a member of many different gyms over the years, I don't miss the meat heads at all. PF fills a specific niche, which is people who just want to get a workout in without all the bs attitudes displayed in this thread. I slap on my yurbuds, get into my own world and get what I need to get done without a bunch of phony gym rats around. I have never heard the "lunk alarm" used and the atmosphere in the gyms I use are always friendly, clean and easy to use. So, all you "real" fitness and bodybuilding types feel free to hang out at golds and I will be happy to work out in my little PF world. It's okay.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have a black card here in CT. I I use 4 locations and only one has a squat rack. I am okay with that. Having been a member of many different gyms over the years, I don't miss the meat heads at all. PF fills a specific niche, which is people who just want to get a workout in without all the bs attitudes displayed in this thread. I slap on my yurbuds, get into my own world and get what I need to get done without a bunch of phony gym rats around. I have never heard the "lunk alarm" used and the atmosphere in the gyms I use are always friendly, clean and easy to use. So, all you "real" fitness and bodybuilding types feel free to hang out at golds and I will be happy to work out in my little PF world. It's okay.

so anyone who goes to a non-pf gym is a meathead or fake gym rat???? How unjudemental of you…
  • KeithAngilly
    Options

so anyone who goes to a non-pf gym is a meathead or fake gym rat???? How unjudemental of you…

nope, I didn't say that..but whining about pf removing squat racks is just silly. If you don't like it, don't go there. And yes, I am being judgmental. I have no problem with that. That's the point of the thread, isn't it? I think PF's free weight arrangements are a joke. But they are not there for the folks who pick things up and put them down. They are very explicit about that. And, it is something that I really appreciate.
  • ndj1979
    Options

nope, I didn't say that..but whining about pf removing squat racks is just silly. If you don't like it, don't go there. And yes, I am being judgmental. I have no problem with that. That's the point of the thread, isn't it? I think PF's free weight arrangements are a joke. But they are not there for the folks who pick things up and put them down. They are very explicit about that. And, it is something that I really appreciate.

It is just a discussion …the point being that "newbies" will never get the benefits of training with squats and deadlifts which are two essential lifts with great benefits for strength and fat loss…i wish I had started squatting and deadlifting years ago ...
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    >>>>> Planet Fitness removing squat racks?

I wasn't aware they actually had them >____>
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    >>>>> Planet Fitness removing squat racks?

I wasn't aware they actually had them >____>

That's because most locations don't.
  • KeithAngilly
    Options

It is just a discussion …the point being that "newbies" will never get the benefits of training with squats and deadlifts which are two essential lifts with great benefits for strength and fat loss…i wish I had started squatting and deadlifting years ago ...

I don't disagree in the least...but the point of the thread is to make fun of PF, is it not? It's thirteen or so pages of being judgemental. Trust me, the folks I see on a regular basis at PF are not missing a squat rack. They are folks who would never walk into a "real" gym. Personally, I think they have hit a on an unfilled niche and have an excellent business model. Why people care about whether they have a squat rack or not is beyond me. Don't go there...it's really very simple. It's strictly a beginners place...they have to start somewhere. And, yes, not having a bunch of gym rats around makes for a more welcoming environment. I don't really care if that's judgmental or not.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I don't disagree in the least...but the point of the thread is to make fun of PF, is it not? It's thirteen or so pages of being judgemental. Trust me, the folks I see on a regular basis at PF are not missing a squat rack. They are folks who would never walk into a "real" gym. Personally, I think they have hit a on an unfilled niche and have an excellent business model. Why people care about whether they have a squat rack or not is beyond me. Don't go there...it's really very simple. It's strictly a beginners place...they have to start somewhere. And, yes, not having a bunch of gym rats around makes for a more welcoming environment. I don't really care if that's judgmental or not.

I think they - myself included - were making fun of the idiocy of having no deadlifting and squat racks because only "meatheads" do that, and then at the same time saying you are an un-judmental gym…slightly ironic...
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness sucks so this would be expected.

And I'd estimate that literally 95% of people can't squat properly anyway so it's not really much of a loss. Feel bad for that 5% though.
  • KeithAngilly
    Options

I think they - myself included - were making fun of the idiocy of having no deadlifting and squat racks because only "meatheads" do that, and then at the same time saying you are an un-judmental gym…slightly ironic...

so, it appears we are both being judgemental. For the record, I completely agree with your point. PF advertises themselves in very judgemental way. That's unfortunate. But, it does get the message across and I appreciate the atmosphere that is created as a result.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    This is why I went out and bought my own squat rack. Plus, there are never any jerks curling in my squat rack.

I did this too...many many years ago...

...except that there occasionally is one jerk in it.

Also, that same jerk tends to leave the barbell loaded after a workout too which requires me to unload it before the next workout. I complained to the gym owner, but it was apparently the gym owner who was being a jerk.

#GymInMyBasementProblems

OMG I work out at home and have *exactly* the same problem. In fact this jerk frequently leaves the barbell on the floor.