About to quit!

Options

Replies

• Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM. I do about 2.5 hours at the gym sometimes mor depending on my energy. I go by what my HRM tells me.. not MFP.
  • FitNurseLex
    FitNurseLex Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Try to log every day. I log all of the time...even on my cheat days. It makes it easier to see why my weight loss might be stalling. You sound to me to be doing exactly what you need to in terms of fitness. I don't think you could be doing all of those things and not reaping any sort of benefits unless your food intake is off plan somehow.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Over estimating calorie burn, under estimating calorie intake.

Log more accurately and consistently, weigh everything (not measuring cups).

Re-evaluate how you are estimating your burns, and remember they reduce as you get smaller. I'm a 160 pound, 5'11 guy and I don't burn 1,200 calories even on a 10 mile run on hilly ground at a hard pace.

If you are gaining weight, you are not in a net Calorie deficit. Period.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    No **** something is wrong. But I am telling you the facts. My HRM shows me anywhere from 700-1200 calories. It is a fact. I'll modify my food to eat more protein, less carbs, and no processed foods.. thanks guys! :)
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    1. You ate 200g+ of carbs yesterday and only 60g of protein. Reverse those. Every day. Seriously.
    2. See 1.
    3. Lift heavy things 3 times a week, light cardio the other two days (light so you don't stunt your recovery).

That's really all it should take.

I think he's right. Too many carbs. Carbs will cause you to retain water. I know this from personal experience.
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Throw in some weight training like 3x5's or 5x5's. Try HIIT or super setting with weights. Anything that will keep your heart rate elevated is positive!

Never quit!!!

This!!!..... and I agree with a lot of the other posters eat more protein! Also take measurements (arms, stomach, thighs, chest) a lot of times the scale doesn't move but I still lost inches. Personally I hate scales!! BTW 1200 is way to low, that is a miserable life of always feeling hungry and feeling like crap.
  • FitNurseLex
    FitNurseLex Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I highly highly doubt you're burning THAT much per day. MFP grossly overestimates cardio burn.

^^That may not be true. I aim for at least 1000 cals burned per workout on most days...and it's usually 1.5 to 2.5 hrs worth of work. According to my HRM (and my level of hunger afterwards lol), I am definitely burning that much! MFP usually overestimates by default, but you are able to adjust the calorie count to the correct one once you select the type of exercise.
  • angie007az
    Options
    Your diet is filled with sugar and processed foods. Also you don't eat enough protein.

Change your diet and exercise 1 hour every day!!

What he said.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'll open it.. I don;t log every day, I try!

Problem solved. Log every day. you're eating more than you think :)

This. My guess is that you're also not weighing your food. When you have so little to lose, small miscalculations or incorrect estimates can have a significant impact on your progress. The last 5-10 lbs don't come off quickly or easily. Also, I'm guessing your HRM estimates are off by quite a bit - they usually overestimate your burn. Long story short: TRACK and measure all your food (with a scale). If you are not losing weight, you need to cut calories a bit. You might want to try a TDEE approach where you eat the same amount every day (it sounds like your exercise is very consistent - if extreme - so your average weekly burn is probably about the same). Pick a number of calories to eat every day (use a TDEE calculator and take a small cut off that amount), monitor your progress for a couple of weeks, and tweak your intake as required based on the results.
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    A couple of thoughts. First, how are you determining how many calories you are burning at exercise? Second, there is a lot of difference from 1500 to 1800 calories per day. If that goes on all month that turns into 9,000 extra calories. Personally I do not track exercise calories as I think most of the tracking devices are simply guesses at best with a lot of variables. I've found that if I track calories/nutrition, I lose; if it don't I gain - pretty simple to me. I have not looked at your diary but I assume Topsking2010 is correct and that you need to not only track calories but also where those calories are coming from.
  • melissagrattan
    Options
    YES to weight training. We are a society of cardio junkies. Weight training will rev up your metabolism and help to burn fat while your body is at rest.

if you ARE weight training already, maybe hire a personal trainer for a few sessions just to switch things up for you. you are doing amazing. hang in there. it will come!
  • plwblue51
    Options
    It sounds like you hit a plateau. If that is the case, you need to change something, either food intake or exercise routines. Hope this helps. : )
  • DiamondDust75
    Options
    You should also take body measurements and not rely so much on the scale. I too have been stuck at the same weight for over a year, but have lost over 20 inches all over my body within that year. My story sounds almost exactly like yours and can't figure out why the loss came to a complete stand still.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    I use my Polar HRM.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    No **** something is wrong. But I am telling you the facts. My HRM shows me anywhere from 700-1200 calories. It is a fact. I'll modify my food to eat more protein, less carbs, and no processed foods.. thanks guys! :)

HRMs are not infallible. They give ok estimates of calorie burn for steady state cardio - but nothing else.

You say yourself something is obviously wrong, but then you are arguing against suggestions of what it is from people who have been wildly successful. You need to let go of the need to be right, and accept the advice you are being given. I'm not trying to be mean or get personal - this is something that most of us struggle with at one point or other.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Your diet is filled with sugar and processed foods. Also you don't eat enough protein.

Change your diet and exercise 1 hour every day!!

What he said.

Not really, as long as you eat at a calorie deficit you will lose weight. It doesn't matter what you are eating, weight will come off. That being said, diet can be healthy or not healthy, depending on what you eat. It doesn't mean you won't lose weight.
  • jlcrph
    jlcrph Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of good advice regarding meticulous tracking of what you eat, weighing/measuring, eating cleaner, upping protein/lowering carbs, ensuring you are not overestimating your exercise burn, adding weight training and HIIT - all of which is excellent. I just want to tell you that now is NOT the time to quit, when you have so much success behind you. As you get closer to your goal, it surely gets a lot harder - I found that as well. Just stay the course - it isn't a race to the finish line as the diet and lifestyle changes you made will be with you always…..if you want to keep the weight off.
  • angie007az
    Options
    This!!!..... and I agree with a lot of the other posters eat more protein! Also take measurements (arms, stomach, thighs, chest) a lot of times the scale doesn't move but I still lost inches. Personally I hate scales!! BTW 1200 is way to low, that is a miserable life of always feeling hungry and feeling like crap.

I don't know about that. I eat 1200 most days and have been since September. Not miserable and not hungry. Everyone is different. I'm not a lifter and maybe that's why.
    [/quote]
  • Bumdrahp
    Options

HRMs are not infallible. They give ok estimates of calorie burn for steady state cardio - but nothing else.

You say yourself something is obviously wrong, but then you are arguing against suggestions of what it is from people who have been wildly successful. You need to let go of the need to be right, and accept the advice you are being given. I'm not trying to be mean or get personal - this is something that most of us struggle with at one point or other.

Awesome!! Thanks! :)
  • mad_lifting_runner
    mad_lifting_runner Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ahhh...this also depends on the kind of HRM. Many HRMs are pre-configured with the same calorie burn formulas that MFP uses to calculate burn! So you may be being mislead! Just FYI.