About to quit!

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I am just bck at it after a break. I have never done any work outs as intense as I am now. I know my body needs to adjust but Its just discouraging. I was once 280 lbs and I managed to lose 100 by myself without issue.. now It's just become a pain in my *kitten*... Just got to keep trying..

Stop trying and do. You know what you have to do now to lose those last few. Have you thought about a FitBit?
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, english is not my first language: I meant, many people here who lost 100 + pounds will tell you to never ever eat under your BMR, so to not even think to net under 1200 calories!

That doing this long term will mess up your metabolism. That doing only cardio and no strenght training will result in losing muscle mass, because your body is very smart and will always choose to reduce expenditure before letting go of fat. It is way more logical to let go of a pound of muscle that use more calories to be maintain then a pound of fat. So if your body has to burn something it will burn the thing that "cost" the more, so muscle. This is a downward spiral : your metabolism will get slower and slower and you will have to reduce your calorie intake even more until it will be more damageable to lose weight for your health (nutritional deficit long term is dangerous)...
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Ok, I can't believe I am the first to post this, but:
    Are you really burning 1200 calories and eating only 1200 calories? If so, you are leaving your body absolutely nothing to funcition with! You should be NETTING a minimum of 1200 calories a day, which means after your workout is figured in, you should show that you consumed 1200 calories MORE than what you burned. If you really are only eating 1200 while also burning 1200 there is a good chance your body is hanging on to fat stores in an attempt to keep you from starving.
    You need to eat generally healthy foods (with "fatty" or sugary foods in moderation, of course :wink: ) and make sure that you are eating at least 1200 more calories than you burn every day. That means if you burn 1200 calories, you need to consume 2400 calories. I know it sounds like a lot, but it works. There are a TON of people on MFP who have had massive success, and this is always their advice.
    Good luck and don't give up! :flowerforyou:

Nobody else posted that, because it's not possible to gain weight while eating at a deficit. And the body doesn't "hang on" to fat stores to stop you from starving. About a million skinny people in Africa will prove you wrong, as well as every anorexic in America. Karen Carpenter would still be alive if that were the case.

The starving people in Africa and Karen Carpenter didn't have any fat stores to hang on to in the first place.

Oh my lord, are you serious?

+1

and

:huh:
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I am just bck at it after a break. I have never done any work outs as intense as I am now. I know my body needs to adjust but Its just discouraging. I was once 280 lbs and I managed to lose 100 by myself without issue.. now It's just become a pain in my *kitten*... Just got to keep trying..

Stop trying and do. You know what you have to do now to lose those last few. Have you thought about a FitBit?

Well obviously I have been doing, hence the 100 lb weightloss LOL... it's just hard this time around that's all.

I had a JawBone and I didn't like it... I got myself a HRM instead.. I wasn't into all the extra stuff. Everyone thinks I was crazy for returning it ( was an xmas gift) but It just wasn't for me.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

if this is something you just started back at, and you went from 0 to 10 hours a week of intense exercise... then a lot of it could be water weight too. You have potentially shocked your body by making that drastic a change.

My recommendation... if you have 40 pounds to lose... set you rate of loss at 1 pound per week (not two). I'd even be so bold as to say 1/2 a pound.

Cut back a bit on the exercise.

And again... be patient!

When I first started... I busted my *kitten* for about 5 months before I noticed any changes... and it wasn't in weight at all - it was all in the way my clothes fit.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Ok, I can't believe I am the first to post this, but:
    Are you really burning 1200 calories and eating only 1200 calories? If so, you are leaving your body absolutely nothing to funcition with! You should be NETTING a minimum of 1200 calories a day, which means after your workout is figured in, you should show that you consumed 1200 calories MORE than what you burned. If you really are only eating 1200 while also burning 1200 there is a good chance your body is hanging on to fat stores in an attempt to keep you from starving.
    You need to eat generally healthy foods (with "fatty" or sugary foods in moderation, of course :wink: ) and make sure that you are eating at least 1200 more calories than you burn every day. That means if you burn 1200 calories, you need to consume 2400 calories. I know it sounds like a lot, but it works. There are a TON of people on MFP who have had massive success, and this is always their advice.
    Good luck and don't give up! :flowerforyou:

Nobody else posted that, because it's not possible to gain weight while eating at a deficit. And the body doesn't "hang on" to fat stores to stop you from starving. About a million skinny people in Africa will prove you wrong, as well as every anorexic in America. Karen Carpenter would still be alive if that were the case.

The starving people in Africa and Karen Carpenter didn't have any fat stores to hang on to in the first place.

Oh my lord, are you serious?

:huh:

I'm with her, are you serious right now?

I think that's what I am worried about.. eating 2400 in a day, and I am being told I eat too much NOW.. so I'm confused haha.

Sometimes I burn 700, sometimes 900, every now and again 1200. ( according to my HRM not MFP).. but according to MFP, I need to still eat those back and I can;t get over it. It's all in my hed I think.. I lose 100 lbs NOT doing that and now that I have been eating SOME of my calories back.. my weightloss has stalled.

However, My work outs are much more intense than before. Now I am doing Kick Box Cardio AND Bootcamp.. occasional Zumba and Spinning.. Before, It was just walking/jogging/running and some zumba.

I am going to try and at more proteins in hopes to stay full longer, and maybe just try eating more ( eek).. I'm so intimidated by that!
  • Bumdrahp
    Options

if this is something you just started back at, and you went from 0 to 10 hours a week of intense exercise... then a lot of it could be water weight too. You have potentially shocked your body by making that drastic a change.

My recommendation... if you have 40 pounds to lose... set you rate of loss at 1 pound per week (not two). I'd even be so bold as to say 1/2 a pound.

Cut back a bit on the exercise.

And again... be patient!

When I first started... I busted my *kitten* for about 5 months before I noticed any changes... and it wasn't in weight at all - it was all in the way my clothes fit.

Yeah my friend keeps telling me to ditch the scale and just keep going, and base it on how my cothing feels. ( feels the same at 185 as it did at 170) lol. I Dont even look like I gained.. maybe in the legs a little but that could be muscle. I don't feel like I gained 15 so its like a slap in the face.

The quitting feeling is temporary.. I need to just keep going. I'll be alright haha.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    I do appreciate all the input guys. Thanks again.. It's ugly to see what you have done wrong sometimes. It is what it is! :)
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    breathe. you can do this.. i focus on the power of 3.. clean eating, exercise 30 min a day and drink your water. its worked for me.

you got alot of advice here.. sift through it. take what works for you.. use it but listen to your body.

your welcome to join my group and add me as a friend all are welcome.. never give up on yourself. your worth this!

you can do anything you set your mind to.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/18785-motivation-support-and-accountability
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Don't take the advice to eat more, try logging and weighing more.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I think that's what I am worried about.. eating 2400 in a day, and I am being told I eat too much NOW.. so I'm confused haha.

Sometimes I burn 700, sometimes 900, every now and again 1200. ( according to my HRM not MFP).. but according to MFP, I need to still eat those back and I can;t get over it. It's all in my hed I think.. I lose 100 lbs NOT doing that and now that I have been eating SOME of my calories back.. my weightloss has stalled.

However, My work outs are much more intense than before. Now I am doing Kick Box Cardio AND Bootcamp.. occasional Zumba and Spinning.. Before, It was just walking/jogging/running and some zumba.

I am going to try and at more proteins in hopes to stay full longer, and maybe just try eating more ( eek).. I'm so intimidated by that!

If eating more made your weight loss stop, then go back down to where you were before. Eating more will just increase your weight gain. If you increase your protein, decrease your carbs or something else to make sure you are still at that lower calorie goal. As was said before, it's likely you are either underestimating your calories or overestimating your calorie burn if you aren't losing weight.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Well, no. I mean look at my logs.. what I put in, is generally what I always eat. Lol. I have a lot of logs, I just started back maybe 3 weeks to a month ago.. I may have missed like a couple days.

Well there's no way around the fact that you're eating too much. If you're gaining weight you're in a surplus. Only way to know for sure is to measure and weigh your food. The body has a way of keeping an accurate journal even if we don't doesn't it?

^^^ Yep.

Your body remembers that extra 100ish calories, even if you forgot. Gaining means surplus calories. Make a point for at least 4 weeks straight to weigh your food carefully and to accurately log every bite you take.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I highly highly doubt you're burning THAT much per day. MFP grossly overestimates cardio burn.

^^That may not be true. I aim for at least 1000 cals burned per workout on most days...and it's usually 1.5 to 2.5 hrs worth of work. According to my HRM (and my level of hunger afterwards lol), I am definitely burning that much! MFP usually overestimates by default, but you are able to adjust the calorie count to the correct one once you select the type of exercise.

Yeah, for me, the MFP numbers were actually a bit lower than the real numbers. It's a good estimate. I think the issue is calories IN, not so much calories OUT.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I'll open it.. I don;t log every day, I try!

Problem solved. Log every day. you're eating more than you think :)

^^^this and think positive. negative thinking will hae a negative affect on your health no matter how hard you workut or how little you eat. don't you dare quit now! youve come too far. back to square one maybe go back to what you did to lose so much at the beginning to jump start yourself again but dont you dare give up!!!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Add heavy compound lifts. They have made a HUGE difference for me. My weight hasn't changed a whole lot but man have I lost inches and I have never looked better.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    1. You ate 200g+ of carbs yesterday and only 60g of protein. Reverse those. Every day. Seriously.
    2. See 1.
    3. Lift heavy things 3 times a week, light cardio the other two days (light so you don't stunt your recovery).

That's really all it should take.

Not everyone is on a low carb kick. 60 grams of carbs is pretty low IMHO.

yeah no kidding!!!!!!!!

I eat 200ish grams of carbs and about 80 grams of protein. Weight loss is about calories in vs calorie out, NOT about macros.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Don't take the advice to eat more, try logging and weighing more.

I think I missed like 2 days this month.

You are one who told me at 1500-1800 ( bad days) I eat too much..

If I eat on a bad day, 1800 calories.. spend 2 hrs at the gym, burn 1000.. that means I net 800. Is this accurate or am I missing something. Would this be healthy? I'm not trying out for any body building comps. I am just an average grl who used to be 280 lbs. Lost 100 lbs on her own terms.. and now Is having a really difffcult time while switching up my routine.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    "Add heavy compound lifts. They have made a HUGE difference for me. My weight hasn't changed a whole lot but man have I lost inches and I have never looked better. "

Can you explain compound lifts? I used to be all cardio, lifting and weights are all new to me. New World lol.
  • emtbythesea
    emtbythesea Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You have more muscles now because of your intense training. You know those puppies weigh more now than when they were fatty. Do you take measurements? Are you bigger or smaller? Do your clothes still fit? Too much emphasis on weight and not enough on size. If you want to just lose weight, reduce your calories and remain a cardio zombie...but that's probably not what you're REALLY trying to do, right? Don't stay discouraged. This is pretty normal. One more idea: get your thyroid checked out just to be sure you don't have something else going on.