About to quit!

Options

Replies

• Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'll open it.. I don;t log every day, I try!

Aha! I think I've found the problem.

Also, when you do log, how are you logging? I hope it's with a measuring cups (for liquids) and a scale (for everything else).

(Now to read five pages of what I expect will be people saying the same thing...or, more entertainingly, OP arguing that this isn't the reason.)

I'm not arguing with anyone. I have already stated that I missed like two days this month. I measure, but I do need to buy myself a scale for my food.
    buy the scale ASAP...weigh things. shocking how much a Tbs of peanut butter can be off if you dont weight it in grams.

I measure in dry/wet cups and measuring spoons for now. Seemed to work. But maybe I am just eating too much. It's more than I used to eat. But I also work out more so I just thought upping my calories wouldn't be bad.. Body is taking some time to adjust I gather.. I guess it's part of a weightloss journey.. seeing what works for me vs what doesn't. Some people had great sucess eating more. Some had great success eating less. For me, so far what has worked the best is 1200 a day, with 4 mile walks 4-5 times a week. So far since joining a gym and having new tools, I haven't done so well. Maybe I need to fight my new found extreme hunger after the gym.. lol.. OR.. just eat mor proteins as already mentioned by a few earlier.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options

Also, when you do log, how are you logging? I hope it's with a measuring cups (for liquids) and a scale (for everything else).

(Now to read five pages of what I expect will be people saying the same thing...or, more entertainingly, OP arguing that this isn't the reason.)

Careful, you are going to get yelled at for noting the obvious!

I'm not sure that anyone has actually yelled at you. If anything just disagreed. We all do that.. it's a forum..Sorry if you felt attacked somehow.
  • pphilpot172011
    Options
    Uhm no, that is VERY wrong. your body processes different foods in different ways. If your eating processed crap and what have you, your body isnt going to burn it efficiently when you work out. You can work out as much as you want, and if you think "oh ill just take the single patty instead of the big mac" your not going to lose anything because the minute you put a real meal in your mouth, youre body is going to store it because you havent been feeding it properly. Lets say you eat cheeseburgers all day and your calorie intake is 1200, but you burn 1600 in workouts. The next day when you go and eat your cheeseburgers again, your just going to gain the weight right back because your body is starving for HEALTHY food and better nutrition. It cant run on processed crap, and your certainly NOT going to see results. Itll just be a weight teeter-totter..
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I'm not sure that anyone has actually yelled at you. If anything just disagreed. We all do that.. it's a forum..Sorry if you felt attacked somehow.

Oh, we get used to it. The thanks we get for trying to help.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options

I have been on the other end, I know how it feels.. so I apologize.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Uhm no, that is VERY wrong. your body processes different foods in different ways. If your eating processed crap and what have you, your body isnt going to burn it efficiently when you work out. You can work out as much as you want, and if you think "oh ill just take the single patty instead of the big mac" your not going to lose anything because the minute you put a real meal in your mouth, youre body is going to store it because you havent been feeding it properly. Lets say you eat cheeseburgers all day and your calorie intake is 1200, but you burn 1600 in workouts. The next day when you go and eat your cheeseburgers again, your just going to gain the weight right back because your body is starving for HEALTHY food and better nutrition. It cant run on processed crap, and your certainly NOT going to see results. Itll just be a weight teeter-totter..

What, that is so wrong. you can lose weight eating just Twinkies all day as long as your cals are below what you need to maintain weight.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I have been on the other end, I know how it feels.. so I apologize.

Thank you. I appreciate it. :flowerforyou: However, you were not the one attacking.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

That is complete and otter* rot that is dis-proven by so many people on MFP it's barely worth responding.

Sincerely,
    Someone who, while eating processed foods on ocassion has -
    Lost 65lbs (then bulked some back on in muscle-weight)
    Gone from being unable to run to a 26 minute 5k, 58 minute 10k, and 7 minute mile.
    Increased strength
    Improved my cholesterol and blood sugar numbers well into the healthy range.
    Dropped my resting heart rate into the high 50s.
    Progressed to a VO2 max in the 'athletic' range.
    Dropped my body fat percentage from 45% to 12%.

Should I continue, or are you getting the picture?

Edit : *utter. Damn you autocorrect.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I highly highly doubt you're burning THAT much per day. MFP grossly overestimates cardio burn.

^^That may not be true. I aim for at least 1000 cals burned per workout on most days...and it's usually 1.5 to 2.5 hrs worth of work. According to my HRM (and my level of hunger afterwards lol), I am definitely burning that much! MFP usually overestimates by default, but you are able to adjust the calorie count to the correct one once you select the type of exercise.

I'm beginning to see a commonality with people who are over-estimating their calorie burns. I don't want to say the name because I don't want to take the fun out of other people figuring it out too, but I'll say the initials:

H.R.M.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of thing. Most will agree MFP's estimates of your caloric expenditure are not accurate, at least not for most people. Likewise, there is a ton of variation in the caloric burn as given by machines at the gym. About the best you can do is buy a quality HRM, feed it your metadata, and trust it to be as accurate as possible. I rarely eat 100% of my calories back from cardio since a slightly greater deficit won't hurt me, but a HRM is about the best you can do.

All that said, the HRM may not be to blame here, given that the OP doesn't actually have a food scale yet. Buying a food scale is probably the best thing you can do to increase your accuracy in logging what you eat.

The key to success is to get everything as accurate as you can, and then adjust according to observed results.

The part that everyone forgets is adjust according to observed results.

It's pretty easy to be accurate with food logging. Get a scale and some measuring cups, use them religiously, and log everything.

If your observed results don't at least somewhat closely match 1 pound lost per 3500 calorie deficit over two month period, then it's pretty obvious that you can point to your calorie burn. It's only when you are not consistent with logging that it becomes a mystery.

Last year when summer rolled around, I had a stall. Because I logged my food accurately, I could look back on my exercise diary and see what changed. I had started swimming. Because I had my kids with me in the pool, I couldn't consistently swim laps. I had tried to adjust down for this, but when I was honest with myself it was apparent I didn't adjust down enough. I fixed it and BOOM - the weight started falling off again.

It's not rocket science - but it is science.

I agree, but that doesn't mean HRM's are necessarily inaccurate as you seem to suggest above. In my experience, it's the opposite and a HRM is the best way to get an estimate your burn.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I highly highly doubt you're burning THAT much per day. MFP grossly overestimates cardio burn.

^^That may not be true. I aim for at least 1000 cals burned per workout on most days...and it's usually 1.5 to 2.5 hrs worth of work. According to my HRM (and my level of hunger afterwards lol), I am definitely burning that much! MFP usually overestimates by default, but you are able to adjust the calorie count to the correct one once you select the type of exercise.

I'm beginning to see a commonality with people who are over-estimating their calorie burns. I don't want to say the name because I don't want to take the fun out of other people figuring it out too, but I'll say the initials:

H.R.M.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of thing. Most will agree MFP's estimates of your caloric expenditure are not accurate, at least not for most people. Likewise, there is a ton of variation in the caloric burn as given by machines at the gym. About the best you can do is buy a quality HRM, feed it your metadata, and trust it to be as accurate as possible. I rarely eat 100% of my calories back from cardio since a slightly greater deficit won't hurt me, but a HRM is about the best you can do.

All that said, the HRM may not be to blame here, given that the OP doesn't actually have a food scale yet. Buying a food scale is probably the best thing you can do to increase your accuracy in logging what you eat.

The key to success is to get everything as accurate as you can, and then adjust according to observed results.

It's pretty easy to be accurate with food logging. Get a scale and some measuring cups, use them religiously, and log everything.

If your observed results don't at least somewhat closely match 1 pound lost per 3500 calorie deficit over two month period, then it's pretty obvious that you can point to your calorie burn. It's only when you are not consistent with logging that it becomes a mystery.

Last year when summer rolled around, I had a stall. Because I logged my food accurately, I could look back on my exercise diary and see what changed. I had started swimming. Because I had my kids with me in the pool, I couldn't consistently swim laps. I had tried to adjust down for this, but when I was honest with myself it was apparent I didn't adjust down enough. I fixed it and BOOM - the weight started falling off again.

I agree, but that doesn't mean HRM's are necessarily inaccurate as you seem to suggest above. In my experience, it's the opposite and a HRM is the best way to get an estimate your burn.

If you are doing steady state cardio, sure.

But many people use HRMs for things like weight training, or even just wear them all day. That's what causes the problem.
  • parkscs
    Options

Surely someone is trollin'.
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Great info here ^^^

Definitely made a change for me. The food scale was a real eye opener. I was plateaued for a year and a half. I've now started to lose again and its because I use a food scale.

I recommend checking out the group Eat, Train, Progress. Very very good, studied, factual information there, and since you seem to be interested in lifting, that's a great place to get advice and learn.

Good luck and nice loss already :flowerforyou: :drinker:

Also, the "what" doesn't determine weight loss, its the 'how much' (for the person that just joined)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

a calorie burned is a calorie burned. Your body cannot "hold on" to the healthy food any more than it could the unhealthy food, if there is a calorie deficit. It must digest it and use it for energy.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options

That is complete and otter rot that is dis-proven by so many people on MFP it's barely worth responding.

Sincerely,
    Someone who, while eating processed foods on ocassion has -
    Lost 65lbs (then bulked some back on in muscle-weight)
    Gone from being unable to run to a 26 minute 5k, 58 minute 10k, and 7 minute mile.
    Increased strength
    Improved my cholesterol and blood sugar numbers well into the healthy range.
    Dropped my resting heart rate into the high 50s.
    Progressed to a VO2 max in the 'athletic' range.
    Dropped my body fat percentage from 45% to 12%.

Should I continue, or are you getting the picture?

I too lost 100 lbs while eating the occasional processed foods... I feel like you just need to make sure you continue to work out, stay on your goal.. and you will be alright.

Processed foods are in no way healthy or good for you.. but every here and there people indulge and have had great success.

I too found it hard to believe someone could eat 1200 calories of garbage and lose weight.. but so long you are at a deficit you lose.. even at my WORST months where I didn't work out, I still kept it at 1200 a day, and still lost weight.

Just my personal experience.. everyone has a different experience.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Great info here ^^^

Definitely made a change for me. The food scale was a real eye opener. I was plateaued for a year and a half. I've now started to lose again and its because I use a food scale.

I recommend checking out the group Eat, Train, Progress. Very very good, studied, factual information there, and since you seem to be interested in lifting, that's a great place to get advice and learn.

Good luck and nice loss already :flowerforyou: :drinker:

Also, the "what" doesn't determine weight loss, its the 'how much' (for the person that just joined)

I actually just joined this about 30 minutes ago! Can't wait to check it out.
  • Moonlitedi
    Moonlitedi Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    "When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down,
    And you feel like the biggest failure in town.

When you want to give up just because you gave in, and forget all about being healthy to win.

So What!

You went over your numbers a bit,
    It's your next move that counts...
    So don't you quit!

It's a moment of truth, it's an attitude change.
    It's learning the skills to get back in your range.

It's telling yourself, "You've done great up till now.
    You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow."

It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal. You're still gonna make it, just stay in control.

To stumble and fall is not a disgrace, If you summon the will to get back in the race.

But, often the struggler's, when loosing their grip,
    Just throw in the towel and continue to slip.

And learn too late when the damage is done, that the race wasn't over...they still could have won.

Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow, but facing each challenge will help you to grow.

Success is failure turned inside out, the silver tint in a cloud of doubt.

When you're pushing to the brink, just refuse to submit,

If you bite it, you write it....But don't you quit!"
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! You will get as thin as you want. My gosh you are working so hard. You must be eating to many calories. It is amazing how many calories are in foods that we would never think of. So track every LITTLE bit of food. Every thing you put in your mouth. Only eat the 1200 calories suggested. NO MORE!!!!!!! NO MATTER WHAT!!!! I promise you, you will loose again. Your body can put on 6 or more pounds of water weight overnight so do not be concerned at what the scale says, If you are eating 1200 calories, you are loosing and thats a fact. If you look at monthly weight loss you will see it.

017057585c00477b9dcdbf88f9b28ae6@2x.gif

This is bad advice. I recognize that you are trying to be helpful, but if she is actually putting out 1000 calorie burns in a day, only eating 1200 will be DEVASTATING to her body.

OP... I'd recommend... try:
    - upping your protein
    - consider reducing your HRM estimated burns by about 20% when you log them.
    - Eat back at least half of your exercise calories in protein dense foods.
    - Get enough water.
    - Get enough sleep.
    - Take your measurements... I lost only 15 pounds, but 6 dress sizes.
    - Take front, back, and both side relaxed pictures. Repeat in a month.
    - Check out the Eat Train Progress group on here. Sara and Sidesteel know what they're talking about!!!
    - depending on how long you have had your HRM, update your stats on it. If it thinks you are 70 pounds heavier, it will miscalculate your burns.

People may not like me saying this... but maybe you need to back off on some of the exercises.
    2.5 hours a day 4-5 times a day seems a bit excessive, and may not be doing you favors. Perhaps consider cutting back the amount of exercise (and eat less accordingly).

And don't give up.

You don't need a quick fix, you need something sustainable. Remind yourself of that when you want to see the pounds melting away. As you shrink, it gets harder to lose the weight. It is NOT linear. It IS possible.

:love: Listen to her ^^ /thread
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    1. Get a kitchen scale and don't trust your dry measures. You'd be amazed how many grams of ice cream a human being can stuff into a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Try double the gram weight. That's just an example. Most foods are this way. Go with gram weight. Strictly gram weight.

2. You are NOT burning 1000 calories in the gym for 2 hours. Maybe at most 750, and that is if you're not taking breaks. If you're strength training, more like 150-200. Nobody burns 500 calories an hour strength training. Not without some chemical assistance. And unless you're running at a near sprint speed for 2 hours, you're not burning as much as you think.

Maybe you should check out Scooby's workshop or one of the many other TDEE calculating websites and calculate your TDEE and go with that instead of the MFP method.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    "When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down,
    And you feel like the biggest failure in town.

When you want to give up just because you gave in, and forget all about being healthy to win.

So What!

You went over your numbers a bit,
    It's your next move that counts...
    So don't you quit!

It's a moment of truth, it's an attitude change.
    It's learning the skills to get back in your range.

It's telling yourself, "You've done great up till now.
    You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow."

It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal. You're still gonna make it, just stay in control.

To stumble and fall is not a disgrace, If you summon the will to get back in the race.

But, often the struggler's, when loosing their grip,
    Just throw in the towel and continue to slip.

And learn too late when the damage is done, that the race wasn't over...they still could have won.

Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow, but facing each challenge will help you to grow.

Success is failure turned inside out, the silver tint in a cloud of doubt.

When you're pushing to the brink, just refuse to submit,

If you bite it, you write it....But don't you quit!"

LOL I love this.
  • parkscs
    Options

H.R.M.

If you are doing steady state cardio, sure.

But many people use HRMs for things like weight training, or even just wear them all day. That's what causes the problem.

Again, agree entirely. Unfortunately, outside of steady state cardio, it's pretty hard to get an accurate picture of your caloric burn.

Generally I just ballpark weight training these days at ~400 calories/90 minutes, which I'm sure is inaccurate, but I usually eat those calories back anyways. I figure that even if I burned 0 calories lifting weights (not likely), I'd still be at a caloric deficit and if I'm at slightly less of a deficit on lifting days, that's probably a good thing. You can definitely can learn a lot about your body though by tracking your own data/progress over time.