About to quit!

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    The issue is WHAT your eating, not how much. Cut out the processed boxed additive stuff and go for fresh, organic and lean. I eat Paleo, which is hard for most because its so restrictive, but most of the time people dont read lables!! that the BIGGEST issue...sometimes "healthy" stuff has more additive sugar and other ingredients that you cant even pronounce than just plain old ice cream and cake! Read your lables and go FRESH. Fruits, veggies and lean protein. you can use as many spices you can get your hands on to flavor!

Yah no....

Not sure if someone already said this but NO NO NO NO NO

It is how much not what....holy smokes....
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Uhm no, that is VERY wrong. your body processes different foods in different ways. If your eating processed crap and what have you, your body isnt going to burn it efficiently when you work out. You can work out as much as you want, and if you think "oh ill just take the single patty instead of the big mac" your not going to lose anything because the minute you put a real meal in your mouth, youre body is going to store it because you havent been feeding it properly. Lets say you eat cheeseburgers all day and your calorie intake is 1200, but you burn 1600 in workouts. The next day when you go and eat your cheeseburgers again, your just going to gain the weight right back because your body is starving for HEALTHY food and better nutrition. It cant run on processed crap, and your certainly NOT going to see results. Itll just be a weight teeter-totter..

Says the person who joined no more than 10 days ago and has less than 5 posts on the forums thus far. I suggest you peruse the forums first before spouting nonsense.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    1. Get a kitchen scale and don't trust your dry measures. You'd be amazed how many grams of ice cream a human being can stuff into a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Try double the gram weight. That's just an example. Most foods are this way. Go with gram weight. Strictly gram weight.

2. You are NOT burning 1000 calories in the gym for 2 hours. Maybe at most 750, and that is if you're not taking breaks. If you're strength training, more like 150-200. Nobody burns 500 calories an hour strength training. Not without some chemical assistance. And unless you're running at a near sprint speed for 2 hours, you're not burning as much as you think.

Maybe you should check out Scooby's workshop or one of the many other TDEE calculating websites and calculate your TDEE and go with that instead of the MFP method.

I do 60 minutes jogging, then I bike, then I use a stair master on my cardio days.. my HRM measures that at 900.

I just started doing two classes a day. I do any mixture of Kick Boxing, Zumba, Boot Camp, Body Works, or Spinning... those days I don't do cardio and burn about 900.

My days that I supposedly burned 1200, are days that I keep doing more cardio BEYOND above mentioned. Is it really that impossible? I don;t record rests. I pause my HRM as soon as I am done.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I'll open it.. I don;t log every day, I try!

Aha! I think I've found the problem.

Also, when you do log, how are you logging? I hope it's with a measuring cups (for liquids) and a scale (for everything else).

(Now to read five pages of what I expect will be people saying the same thing...or, more entertainingly, OP arguing that this isn't the reason.)

I'm not arguing with anyone. I have already stated that I missed like two days this month. I measure, but I do need to buy myself a scale for my food.

I think that is what people were getting at actually...

Food scale is one of the most important tools you can have for weight loss.....you are gonna be surprised trust me.

I was shocked...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
    There is a video in this post...watch it...you will buy your food scale immediately I bet.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    1. Get a kitchen scale and don't trust your dry measures. You'd be amazed how many grams of ice cream a human being can stuff into a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Try double the gram weight. That's just an example. Most foods are this way. Go with gram weight. Strictly gram weight.

2. You are NOT burning 1000 calories in the gym for 2 hours. Maybe at most 750, and that is if you're not taking breaks. If you're strength training, more like 150-200. Nobody burns 500 calories an hour strength training. Not without some chemical assistance. And unless you're running at a near sprint speed for 2 hours, you're not burning as much as you think.

Maybe you should check out Scooby's workshop or one of the many other TDEE calculating websites and calculate your TDEE and go with that instead of the MFP method.

I do 60 minutes jogging, then I bike, then I use a stair master on my cardio days.. my HRM measures that at 900.

I just started doing two classes a day. I do any mixture of Kick Boxing, Zumba, Boot Camp, Body Works, or Spinning... those days I don't do cardio and burn about 900.

My days that I supposedly burned 1200, are days that I keep doing more cardio BEYOND above mentioned. Is it really that impossible? I don;t record rests. I pause my HRM as soon as I am done.

I'm fully aware however it could be over estimating.. as much as that may make me feel like crap LOL.

I feel like I surely put forth that much work... but of course it's more than possible I am wrong.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I highly highly doubt you're burning THAT much per day. MFP grossly overestimates cardio burn.

^^THIS^^
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I highly highly doubt you're burning THAT much per day. MFP grossly overestimates cardio burn.

^^That may not be true. I aim for at least 1000 cals burned per workout on most days...and it's usually 1.5 to 2.5 hrs worth of work. According to my HRM (and my level of hunger afterwards lol), I am definitely burning that much! MFP usually overestimates by default, but you are able to adjust the calorie count to the correct one once you select the type of exercise.

I'm beginning to see a commonality with people who are over-estimating their calorie burns. I don't want to say the name because I don't want to take the fun out of other people figuring it out too, but I'll say the initials:

H.R.M.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of thing. Most will agree MFP's estimates of your caloric expenditure are not accurate, at least not for most people. Likewise, there is a ton of variation in the caloric burn as given by machines at the gym. About the best you can do is buy a quality HRM, feed it your metadata, and trust it to be as accurate as possible. I rarely eat 100% of my calories back from cardio since a slightly greater deficit won't hurt me, but a HRM is about the best you can do.

All that said, the HRM may not be to blame here, given that the OP doesn't actually have a food scale yet. Buying a food scale is probably the best thing you can do to increase your accuracy in logging what you eat.

The key to success is to get everything as accurate as you can, and then adjust according to observed results.

The part that everyone forgets is adjust according to observed results.

It's pretty easy to be accurate with food logging. Get a scale and some measuring cups, use them religiously, and log everything.

If your observed results don't at least somewhat closely match 1 pound lost per 3500 calorie deficit over two month period, then it's pretty obvious that you can point to your calorie burn. It's only when you are not consistent with logging that it becomes a mystery.

Last year when summer rolled around, I had a stall. Because I logged my food accurately, I could look back on my exercise diary and see what changed. I had started swimming. Because I had my kids with me in the pool, I couldn't consistently swim laps. I had tried to adjust down for this, but when I was honest with myself it was apparent I didn't adjust down enough. I fixed it and BOOM - the weight started falling off again.

It's not rocket science - but it is science.

I agree, but that doesn't mean HRM's are necessarily inaccurate as you seem to suggest above. In my experience, it's the opposite and a HRM is the best way to get an estimate your burn.

If you are doing steady state cardio, sure.

But many people use HRMs for things like weight training, or even just wear them all day. That's what causes the problem.

Again, agree entirely. Unfortunately, outside of steady state cardio, it's pretty hard to get an accurate picture of your caloric burn.

Generally I just ballpark weight training these days at ~400 calories/90 minutes, which I'm sure is inaccurate, but I usually eat those calories back anyways. I figure that even if I burned 0 calories lifting weights (not likely), I'd still be at a caloric deficit and if I'm at slightly less of a deficit on lifting days, that's probably a good thing. You can definitely can learn a lot about your body though by tracking your own data/progress over time.

I wear a Fitbit, and my actual vs. measured results have always matched really well. I don't log anything for lifting since I started lifting heavy with good rest periods, vs. my previous supersetted machine weights (which was more like cardio anyway).

My actual and predicted results match really well, except for the period when I was swimming a lot - the only activity for which I don't wear my FB. So personally for non-steady state cardio and general TDEE I'm a big advocate for Fitbit.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all 7 pages of this, so sorry if I'm repeating what others have said...

1) Weigh all of your food. Most important, imo.

2) Log all of your food and drink. Erryfin.

3) Are you deducting your BMR typical minute calorie burn from your HRM? For example, if I burn 500 calories in an hour, I deduct 60 as that's slightly more than I burn an hour (BMR is like 1395 or something) and then log it as 440 calories burnt. It IS possible to burn 1000 calories in a gym sesh. Yesterday I did strength for half an hour (I do a mix of 3x5 and 5x5 and lift my maximum I can manage) and then did 40 mins on treadmill (mix of jogging, HIIT, and a bit of walking) and did 4.2K. I burnt around 800 calories.

4) You have to play with your numbers. I was recently sick (had surgery) and was sedentary. Online it guessed my sedentary TDEE of being 1700. I ate around that number for a week (sometimes more, sometimes less) and gained 0.5lb. So now I know that is roughly accurate. Obviously it's more when I'm working out.

5) Look at inches and bodyfat. My scales have BF% and whilst it may not be 100%, I use it as a guide.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I'm fully aware however it could be over estimating.. as much as that may make me feel like crap LOL.

I feel like I surely put forth that much work... but of course it's more than possible I am wrong.

It is both amazing and depressing how efficient the human body really is.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options

^^THIS^^

Again I use a HRM not MFP.

However I get the feeling my HRM must be over estimating too.. a bit discouraging but that's ok. I'll just keep doing what I am doing and just eat a bit better and I think I may see some results sooner rather than later.
  • taiyola
    Options

^^THIS^^

She wears a HRM as previously stated...
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

^^That may not be true. I aim for at least 1000 cals burned per workout on most days...and it's usually 1.5 to 2.5 hrs worth of work. According to my HRM (and my level of hunger afterwards lol), I am definitely burning that much! MFP usually overestimates by default, but you are able to adjust the calorie count to the correct one once you select the type of exercise.

I'm beginning to see a commonality with people who are over-estimating their calorie burns. I don't want to say the name because I don't want to take the fun out of other people figuring it out too, but I'll say the initials:

H.R.M.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of thing. Most will agree MFP's estimates of your caloric expenditure are not accurate, at least not for most people. Likewise, there is a ton of variation in the caloric burn as given by machines at the gym. About the best you can do is buy a quality HRM, feed it your metadata, and trust it to be as accurate as possible. I rarely eat 100% of my calories back from cardio since a slightly greater deficit won't hurt me, but a HRM is about the best you can do.

All that said, the HRM may not be to blame here, given that the OP doesn't actually have a food scale yet. Buying a food scale is probably the best thing you can do to increase your accuracy in logging what you eat.

The key to success is to get everything as accurate as you can, and then adjust according to observed results.

The part that everyone forgets is adjust according to observed results.

It's pretty easy to be accurate with food logging. Get a scale and some measuring cups, use them religiously, and log everything.

If your observed results don't at least somewhat closely match 1 pound lost per 3500 calorie deficit over two month period, then it's pretty obvious that you can point to your calorie burn. It's only when you are not consistent with logging that it becomes a mystery.

Last year when summer rolled around, I had a stall. Because I logged my food accurately, I could look back on my exercise diary and see what changed. I had started swimming. Because I had my kids with me in the pool, I couldn't consistently swim laps. I had tried to adjust down for this, but when I was honest with myself it was apparent I didn't adjust down enough. I fixed it and BOOM - the weight started falling off again.

It's not rocket science - but it is science.

I agree, but that doesn't mean HRM's are necessarily inaccurate as you seem to suggest above. In my experience, it's the opposite and a HRM is the best way to get an estimate your burn.

If you are doing steady state cardio, sure.

But many people use HRMs for things like weight training, or even just wear them all day. That's what causes the problem.

Again, agree entirely. Unfortunately, outside of steady state cardio, it's pretty hard to get an accurate picture of your caloric burn.

Generally I just ballpark weight training these days at ~400 calories/90 minutes, which I'm sure is inaccurate, but I usually eat those calories back anyways. I figure that even if I burned 0 calories lifting weights (not likely), I'd still be at a caloric deficit and if I'm at slightly less of a deficit on lifting days, that's probably a good thing. You can definitely can learn a lot about your body though by tracking your own data/progress over time.

I wear a Fitbit, and my actual vs. measured results have always matched really well. I don't log anything for lifting since I started lifting heavy with good rest periods, vs. my previous supersetted machine weights (which was more like cardio anyway).

My actual and predicted results match really well, except for the period when I was swimming a lot - the only activity for which I don't wear my FB. So personally for non-steady state cardio and general TDEE I'm a big advocate for Fitbit.

Hm, interesting. I bought a fitbit and honestly found it not to be very useful for me. I walk very little given my job so recording steps is a non-issue and the types of cardio I do aren't the type fitbit is known to measure well. Maybe I'll give it another try though. :-)
  • taiyola
    Options
    Also, you workout a LOT.

I'd probably do heavy strength training (3x5, 5x5), and do some HIIT. I do about an hour 2-3 times a week, plus walk my dog before or after work, and I'm losing weight and fat.

I had a history of eating disorders and so for a long time I would gain on 1000 calories. Now my goal is 1500 and I sometimes eat back some of my exercise cals.

If you're burning 1500 and only eating 1800, your net is gunna be 300 :/ I'd try and net at least 1200 a day.
  • taiyola
    Options
    Also, you workout a LOT.

I'd probably do heavy strength training (3x5, 5x5), and do some HIIT. I do about an hour 2-3 times a week, plus walk my dog before or after work, and I'm losing weight and fat.

I had a history of eating disorders and so for a long time I would gain on 1000 calories. Now my goal is 1500 and I sometimes eat back some of my exercise cals.

If you're burning 1500 and only eating 1800, your net is gunna be 300 :/ I'd try and net at least 1200 a day.

If obviously you are burning and eating that much... :)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Uhm no, that is VERY wrong. your body processes different foods in different ways. If your eating processed crap and what have you, your body isnt going to burn it efficiently when you work out. You can work out as much as you want, and if you think "oh ill just take the single patty instead of the big mac" your not going to lose anything because the minute you put a real meal in your mouth, youre body is going to store it because you havent been feeding it properly. Lets say you eat cheeseburgers all day and your calorie intake is 1200, but you burn 1600 in workouts. The next day when you go and eat your cheeseburgers again, your just going to gain the weight right back because your body is starving for HEALTHY food and better nutrition. It cant run on processed crap, and your certainly NOT going to see results. Itll just be a weight teeter-totter..

For heaven's sake. What?
  • SezxyStef
    Options

^^THIS^^

Again I use a HRM not MFP.

However I get the feeling my HRM must be over estimating too.. a bit discouraging but that's ok. I'll just keep doing what I am doing and just eat a bit better and I think I may see some results sooner rather than later.

That's unfortunate.....perhaps take 75% and buy that food scale we all have been "screaming" about...hehe

Watch that link that a few of us have posted.....

I prefer TDEE so I don't have to worry about burns...it's so nice to know how many calories regardless...

Might want to check that as well.

You are obviously on the right track and only need to "tweak" the intake a bit with the food scale and perhaps reduce the HRM burns a bit then I bet you will be right as rain.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    So you said that you have all your stats in on the Polar HRM, but when was the last time you updated it? Because you have to constantly change your weight on it... it doesn't do it for you since it's not psychic. This could easily give you over-inflated burns.

Also, I didn't see a written answer from you, maybe I overlooked it, but are you weighing your food? Cause I'm pretty sure this would be the main culprit, as MANY others have stated, which is that you're eating more than you think.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'll open it.. I don;t log every day, I try!

Aha! I think I've found the problem.

Also, when you do log, how are you logging? I hope it's with a measuring cups (for liquids) and a scale (for everything else).

(Now to read five pages of what I expect will be people saying the same thing...or, more entertainingly, OP arguing that this isn't the reason.)

I'm not arguing with anyone. I have already stated that I missed like two days this month. I measure, but I do need to buy myself a scale for my food.

To be clear, I posted that early on page one and it was a prediction of where the thread was going. It was only slightly accurate.

I'm all caught up now, but just to be clear on my understanding of the problem...

When you log, are you accurately weighing/measuring your food?
    Is your HRM setup for your personal stats? If not, it may be using an estimation that is overestimating the numbers. And if so, it may still be using an estimation that is overestimating the numbers. You may want to consider a trial period of reducing the numbers given by your HRM by some factor, say, 50%, (while keeping your eating consistent) for some time, say, 4-6 weeks, and see how that plays out for you.

A recent increase in exercise activity can result in temporary increased "water weight". It may just take some more time for that to level off.

Whatever change you decide to make, and you have several options to choose from, I recommend that you do it for at least four weeks and evaluate your progress.

ETA: I see you addressed the HRM setup in your very next post...so obviously ignore that question.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

60 minutes of jogging is anywhere from 500 - 600 cals on average. Add in biking and then stairs for another hour... I can see it being reasonable to log 900. (People may disagree with me, but on my boxing days, with an hrm it's reading anywhere from 850 - 950).

I do think that you should seriously look at recycling your program. Drop to 30 - 45 mins cardio max, and add in weights. Your calorie burns will drop, but you will get stronger and it will preserve your lean muscle mass. Too much cardio, especially for long durations at a time will eat away at the lean muscle mass and will yield less than desirable results.

If you aren't comfy with heavy lifting... even adding in pushups, squats, planks (front and side)... those have a strength component. If you go to a gym, though, I'd look into getting a personal trainer (who advocates heavy lifting for women where heavy is not = 5lb dumbbells) for a few sessions to teach you how to lift.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

If the bolded part were true, you'd actually lose *more* weight by eating "processed crap"...

...and the rest of your post is utter nonsense.