2200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I sincerely hope this is a joke. I'm a 5'6" 125 lb female and having a hard time bulking on 2500 calories/day. For protein, 1-1.5x your body weight is more than enough. And when you fall short, ice cream and almond butter FTW.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I hit about 170 g's of protein daily on a 2200 cal diet. I like it and have done this for a year and lost about 40 lbs and got into the best shape of my life. Good luck OP!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think you'd be very satisfied drinking your meals. Why don't you eat more calorie dense foods? And 480 g of protein???

Been eating chicken and broccoli for like a year. So sick of it.

MOO. Cows are yummy. oh, and baby cows. and lamb, and stuff from the sea... all good eats.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I fill in the gaps with EAS whey protein shakes. 26 g's of protein each. Tastes good too.
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    huh??? 2200 calories is very easy to hit.... i eat close to that everyday and im still hungry,why would you even want to drink all your meals?? breakfast ,lunch and dinner,then protein shakes in between, how is that hard.????
  • allen_ac
    allen_ac Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree, 2200 is very easy to hit

You're just eating far too 'clean' and it makes you sick of you diet as you can see, It's dull boring and bland and you won't keep up with this if for a longer period if you feel this way

Much like you drinking protein shakes all day, you'll get sick of it extremely fast

Quick note: Multi-vitamins have almost been scientifically proven that you cannot absorb ALL the vitamins in pill form, notice i said ALL vitamins, you would absorb some only, but not a good balance

Also just use the IIFYM method and you'll be far better off and enjoying your meals

Plus don't forget that fats have to be a certain amount of your daily intake, possibly around 0.4g or higher per pound of lean body mass, if you keep fats too low it'll screw with your test / hormones
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I only eat healthy food and I have a really hard time eating 2200 calories. I have to drink protein shakes, pop, energy drinks, beer, and fast food to get my calories.
  • allen_ac
    allen_ac Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You have leeway to chuck in random stuff, like sugary drinks and such to fill in your calories, you are still taking some supplements yes so that is good if you miss out on those vitamins and minerals in your diet, but if you have so much troubled meeting 2,200 total, just throw in some actual crap here and there, it won't hurt you much, better doing 80% clean / 20% dirty, than all protein shakes

You also hit your head on the nail with shakes. Why don't you make your own shakes with a couple scoops of protein powder, whole bunch of veggies and stuff, they are convenient and nutritious, also can be quite calorie dense
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think you'd be very satisfied drinking your meals. Why don't you eat more calorie dense foods? And 480 g of protein???

Been eating chicken and broccoli for like a year. So sick of it.

No sh-t!

Novel idea: eat real food? Food you enjoy? Different kinds of food with ... flavor? Dude, you don't have to eat chicken and broccoli and sweetbrotatoes all day erry day to meet your goals. I'm not sure whether you're bulking or cutting - actually it makes no difference. Hit your protein macro (1 g/lb bw) and get some fat in there (that'll easily help you get you calorie target) and then fill the rest with whatever you like. If you enjoy shakes, sure, have a shake or two, but for the love of pete, eat something! Don't forget you also need fiber and micronutrients - fruits and veg and grains etc.

FWIW, I'm a 135 lb female and I'm currently taking in 2650/day (bulking) and manage to get 150g protein pretty much every day, usually with no protein supplement. There's no reason you can't hit 2200. Check my diary if you want some ideas.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I didn't see peanut butter in your list of foods you eat. Add peanut butter to your protein shake, banana and spinach or kale. Peanut butter fixes errything!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea...see below from MedicineNet.com...The recommended amount of protein daily for an adult male is only 56 grams, and excess amounts can lead to trouble:

The recommended amount of protein consumption is about 10%-35% of your daily calories. Adult women need, on average, 46 grams of protein a day, while adult men need about 56 grams. A 3-ounce portion of meat has about 21 grams of protein, and 8 ounces of yogurt has about 11 grams. One cup of dry beans contains about 16 grams of protein.

Consuming excess protein in the diet (over 35% of total calories), especially with carbohydrate restriction, can lead to the buildup of toxic ketones, substances made when the body uses its own fat cells for fuel in the absence of sufficient carbohydrates. Ketones can harm the kidneys as they try to excrete these substances. This is accompanied by a corresponding loss of water through the kidneys, leading to dehydration.

LOLWUT?

Actually, get rid of the LOL... WUT?
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Wow, I struggle to eat 3500 calories while on a bulk. It gets hard after weeks and months of eating big like that.

I'm on a cut now at 2500 calories.

OP, what is your weight and activity level like? 2,200 is on the low side for an active male. I suspect you're trying to eat too clean.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter fixes errything!

I need a t-shirt that says that!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm totally eating chicken and broccoli for dinner tonight. You've inspired me OP.

Jack_Nicholson_nodding.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    - eat dirtier...pizza, ice cream, etc

- eat more "clean" but calorie dense foods like nuts, nut butters avocado, etc.

- roast your broccoli in the oven with some olive oil

- add a little variety to your diet

- get a cook book/learn to cook

- beer

- pasta

- supplement you chicken intake with some delicious steak/brisket/short ribs/pulled pork, etc

- eat some salmon

2200 calories is EZ
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I still don't get it, 2,200 calories sounds like a hefty cut. He should be hungry.
  • Bridgysmalls
    Options
    In response to the OP, 15 or whatever protein shakes a day will not get you ripped fella. Would you even have the energy required to put yourself through a thorough workout?

Get ripped = Less carbs, a little extra fat to reduce cravings, more vegetables & less fruit, protein to reduce muscle loss...

Stay off the booze..
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so much chicken and broccoli if you don't want to? Are you having trouble hitting 2200 because you're in a "clean" mindset? I could hit that fairly easily - in chocolate alone! Try diversifying your diet.