Distance runners: How to work past 90 minutes?

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    My HIIT is also running 30 minutes, middle 10 minutes doing sprint work. I have tried working in 5 minute walking breaks, only seems to cause my muscles to tighten up and makes it harder for me to start running again, but doesn't help me run any longer. As for what I'm eating, not anything specific, I usually run a couple hours after my dinner, mostly cause I'm a night owl, especially on weekends which is when I do my long run. I'm averaging 2300-2500 calories a day and try to make sure I have a good balance of all three macros and get plenty of fluids. My diary is open so you're welcome to take a look and offer advice if interested.

For the refueling, do you spread that out throughout the run? How much how often etc? Was thinking this might be the issue given what is happening with my legs, but wasn't sure how to start working this in. I have had some bad experiences in the past involving food *before* running so am a little gun shy on this....

You'll have to experiment with mid-run fueling to see what works for you. The gels, jelly beans, and chews recommend consuming one packet about every 45 minutes during exercise. They are pretty easy to tear open and eat while on the move. I usually don't use them unless I'm running longer than six miles.

Another thing to remember is hydration during a long run. It's easy to drink during a road race with water points every mile or so along the way. During individual runs it's up to you to carry your drinks or arrange for somebody to help out during the run. A handheld bottle, hydration belt, or camelbak comes in handy.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    That is a long time to be running. Bad for your knees, bad for your muscles, maybe slightly good for your heart. It is up to you if you want to run that long, I suppose.

It is probably in your head. Very few modern people are mentally capable of running that long since it isn't a life or death situation. You aren't chasing down food and you aren't running from a predator (there are no other mammals in the world that can run as long as humans without needing a break.) Since the goal is only to finish the run, you have less of a primal drive pushing you.

Huh?
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    That is a long time to be running. Bad for your knees, bad for your muscles, maybe slightly good for your heart. It is up to you if you want to run that long, I suppose.

It is probably in your head. Very few modern people are mentally capable of running that long since it isn't a life or death situation. You aren't chasing down food and you aren't running from a predator (there are no other mammals in the world that can run as long as humans without needing a break.) Since the goal is only to finish the run, you have less of a primal drive pushing you. Only the people who make running their life can go into the 2+ hour range I'd say. If you aren't 100% dedicated, then it just won't happen. No shame in that, though.
    sorry this post is just full of rubbish I won't spend time pointing out the specifics but ignore it.

Just run slow once you get the distance you can the build on your speed.

Educate me, I love learning. Please inform me on all of the average people running 90+ minutes without a break. The OP said running slowly doesn't work. The OP isn't talking about distance or speed, but time. Read the post before you come in here with your, "I know everything, but I won't share any of it" attitude.

<<<Average person who runs 2+ hours on long run days with out a break.

The OP is talking about hitting a wall during running, which is a fueling issue not a dedication issue.

Seems like a dedication issue to me, because the OP seems mostly dedicated to high intensity interval training. The long runs only come on rest days, so mentally the OP is in "rest mode." I've done miles and miles and a 2+ hour run before. It is a mental drain on us people who don't train for it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous. I have been a runner for 6 years and I routinely used to run up to 2 hours on my long run. And I didn't make running my life.

You are in the fraction of a percent of people who can do it. I'd say that counts as making running your life. I bet you're 100% dedicated to it, right? It seems the OP is spending most of their time and energy on HIIT.

And you are a prime example of why non-runners should not comment on runner threads, because you have no idea of anythign you are talking about. Time and distance pretty much go hand in hand. For some if might be time, others it might be distance where the wall hits...but for a runner it is never about dedication.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    That is a long time to be running.Bad for your knees, bad for your muscles, maybe slightly good for your heart. It is up to you if you want to run that long, I suppose.

Wrong, wrong, wrong...........

There is no evidence that running is bad for your knees (barring a pre-exisiting problem) in fact several studies have suggested that the opposite is true ie runners suffer lower rates of arthritis.

To the OP - try focusing on a distance goal rather than a time.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Seems like a dedication issue to me, because the OP seems mostly dedicated to high intensity interval training. The long runs only come on rest days, so mentally the OP is in "rest mode." I've done miles and miles and a 2+ hour run before. It is a mental drain on us people who don't train for it.

her long runs come after a rest/cheat day.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I would definitely throw in some kind of fuel during your run. Usually on my long slow runs, that are going 90 minutes or more, I usual use gummy squares or I will add something to my water. I am not a fan of Gatorade. It make me queasy. Gu is okay, but I am not fond of the texture. There are energy beans which aren't bad. If you want to go a more natural route, you can take a banana with you.

Do you run HIIT on your long runs? That could be part of your problem. When I am trying to build up my mileage for half marathons, I make sure my long slow runs are about 30-45 seconds slower than my usual pace. That way I build up endurance to go the distance. You will get there.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    OP, can you please list your weekly training schedule?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

It is probably in your head. Very few modern people are mentally capable of running that long since it isn't a life or death situation. You aren't chasing down food and you aren't running from a predator (there are no other mammals in the world that can run as long as humans without needing a break.) Since the goal is only to finish the run, you have less of a primal drive pushing you. Only the people who make running their life can go into the 2+ hour range I'd say. If you aren't 100% dedicated, then it just won't happen. No shame in that, though.
    sorry this post is just full of rubbish I won't spend time pointing out the specifics but ignore it.

Educate me, I love learning. Please inform me on all of the average people running 90+ minutes without a break. The OP said running slowly doesn't work. The OP isn't talking about distance or speed, but time. Read the post before you come in here with your, "I know everything, but I won't share any of it" attitude.

Fat, Middle aged, professional women, with a busy life, and a love of heavy weights. Below average!

My longest continuous run is 3 hours.

Educated?
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options

So she is coming off a rest day going into a 2 hour run while spending most of her time training for HIIT. That seems like a mental and commitment issue to me. Her mind just isn't prepared for it when she is dedicated to something else.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Probably a couple of things going on. I assume you are looking to run a half or full marathon? Most people don't look for long runs that far unless they are so I will give you advice based on that assumption.

As you reach longer distances your body needs fuel. Gu, Chomps, any kind of energy that is easily digested in small quantities is important. I can go 90 minutes no problem, longer than that I fuel. I would recommend every 30 minutes or so up to about 3 hours. When I go beyond that I break it down to 75-100 calories every 15 minutes and split it between gels and energy drinks. My goal is about 350 calories an hour since that is about as much as your body can digest while exercising.

Your runs during the week are also a little short. Try looking at some running plans from Hal Higdon or some of the other ones easily found on the internet for free. You will see that as the long runs get up there in distance you also have longer runs during the week. It makes a big difference in helping your body to adapt to distance running.

Last thing is probably mental. Stop looking at your watch and start looking around you. When you get to the wall start picking really short goals (the next tree, street sign, driveway, etc.) and stop looking at your watch. Keep running the same route for long runs for several weeks and this will help you see the progress you are making.

Hope that helps. Best of luck with whatever your ultimate goal is!
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options

Fat, Middle aged, professional women, with a busy life, and a love of heavy weights. Below average!

My longest continuous run is 3 hours.

Educated?

The average person has not lost almost 80 pounds and achieved great feats like you have. You are only proving my point that it takes dedication and a certain mindset to run 2+ hours. If you honestly can tell me that you didn't struggle with a mental block during that 3 hour run, then I must say you are in an elite class of people.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

So she is coming off a rest day going into a 2 hour run while spending most of her time training for HIIT. That seems like a mental and commitment issue to me. Her mind just isn't prepared for it when she is dedicated to something else.

yeah, i think you're wrong. HIIT has it's place in any long distance training plan.

if the OP wants to increase her distance, then she has to do so little by little. increase by 10% every week.

i'd also throw in a medium distance run once a week (half of her max), and get rid of one HIIT session.

but the issue is most likely just needing to refuel on the run. we know very little about the OP and her training habits, yet you are jumping up and down and saying "she's not dedicated enough!!"
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Do you only run that one time per week? If not, how often and what are the distances of your other runs?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Downvote. This post is bad for the science of running.
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options

yeah, i think you're wrong. HIIT has it's place in any long distance training plan.

if the OP wants to increase her distance, then she has to do so little by little. increase by 10% every week.

i'd also throw in a medium distance run once a week (half of her max), and get rid of one HIIT session.

but the issue is most likely just needing to refuel on the run. we know very little about the OP and her training habits, yet you are jumping up and down and saying "she's not dedicated enough!!"

It appears that her desire isn't to run long distances, though, from how she comes across in her original post. It seems that these runs are only once a week and the other days are weight training and HIIT. That comes across to me as someone who wants to lose weight, not run longer distances. Nothing wrong with not dedicating yourself mentally to long runs if it isn't your goal.

Humans are physiologically designed to run long distances, but most of us modern, post-agriculture people have lost the desire and need to run long distances. That's all I am saying. Some people do it for fun, but those who aren't really enjoying it, will not be able to do it very long. Running 2+ hours is an absolute **** for people that don't love it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

It appears that her desire isn't to run long distances, though, from how she comes across in her original post. It seems that these runs are only once a week and the other days are weight training and HIIT. That comes across to me as someone who wants to lose weight, not run longer distances. Nothing wrong with not dedicating yourself mentally to long runs if it isn't your goal.

so you agree that you've made rediculous assumptions?
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all of the the other comments but it sounds very much like you are bonking (i.e. your muscle is running out of glycogen). Try having some carb (energy gel or something) after about 30 minutes. Make sure you are drinking enough fluid as well. Try and drink before you feel thirsty as an experiment. I would also experiment - run for 85 and then walk for 10 and then start running again and see what happens.
    Good luck
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I do a long run once a week in addition to HIIT twice a week and strength training 3 times a week. My long run is always after my rest day which is also my "cheat" day so I'm usually coming off a bit of a calorie surplus going in to the run. I've been able to run for 90 minutes non stop since early November but can't seem to break past this time. Doesn't matter if I slow down and just go 5mph the whole time, which is a very easy pace for me, still can't get past 90 minutes. I feel great for the first 80-85 and am sure that this will be the week I get all the way to 2 hours and then BAM, legs and feet are TOAST. They feel like lead and just don't want to move anymore. Cardiovascularly I still feel great, I still have tons of energy, but my legs and feet are just done. So....mental block, muscle energy block, or some sort of overtraining?

If I'm being unreasonable trying to run that much while doing my other workouts I can accept that, but if there is a way to work past this without having to give up my other workouts I would love some tips or advice from those with more experience.

You should be running with ratio of weekly mileage to long run. If someone isn't running >30MPW, I dunno why they would do a 90min (9-10mi) long run. Long runs are 1/4-1/3 of total weekly mileage. Are you training for a distance race/event that demands a long run?