Saboteurs

Options

Replies

• CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just throw it away. If they ask you about it, just say you have been eating it. Sucks to have to toss out good food/money but sooner or later they will get the hint. Once you get in to the lifestyle it will be second nature to avoid the stuff but for now just throw it away it will be worth every penny.
  • SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    sabotage.gif
    Woot! I was hoping that somebody else likes the Beasties!!
    thanks
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Just throw it away. If they ask you about it, just say you have been eating it. Sucks to have to toss out good food/money but sooner or later they will get the hint. Once you get in to the lifestyle it will be second nature to avoid the stuff but for now just throw it away it will be worth every penny.

You would be the worst roommate ever!

This isn't like mom sending you home with a lasanga! He doesn't need to waste their money by tossing food away. And how exactly is pretnding to eat the food they buy going to discourage them from buying it -- they will assume he LIKES it. He needs to buy and eat his own food. If he LIKES what they are making he has to learn how to eat it and stay within his macros.

OP, seriously I lost 50 pounds living at home with parents who give NO cares about healthy eating the summer following my college graduation before my job started (which moved me away). I bought my own food so I could make my own meals or suplemment what they were making.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    A thread just for me?

*sniff*

I want to thank my Mum, my Dad, my brother, my nieces and nephew...

...the cat with three legs who bit me when I was 4...

...the barber who shaved all my hair off when I was 8...

...Thank you, thank you everyone who made this possible.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    A thread just for me?

*sniff*

Yay! You made it!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    A thread just for me?

*sniff*

20gdsih.jpg
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Discipline. I have an 18 yr old who eats whatever she wants. I even take her to get her food and have even went to restaurants and sat there with lemon water.

Its up to you to decide your path. And you can eat their food just have to be mindful of amounts and calories.

Good luck!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I live with my parents as a college student as well. I try to buy my own groceries, which I think helps my mindset. I'll not let food go to waste if I'm buying it, and I know there's always something waiting for me that will fit my calories. Of course, they have their food as well. I'm welcome to share it....but I found once I wanted this bad enough, staying out of their food wasnt as much of an issue anymore.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

Throw away the food someone else buys? Are you serious?
    That is the most selfish, inconsiderate thing OP could do.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Throw away the food someone else buys? Are you serious?
    That is the most selfish, inconsiderate thing OP could do.

^This.

OP, just eat less of it and move more.
  • ladytiburona
    ladytiburona Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have friends at work who try to be really supportive. Many of them, still eat out every week or the job provides breakfasts or lunches. I eat in moderation now so it's all ok.

I also started telling myself I was allergic (specifically to candy, chocolate, doughnuts, etc). It's working. I don't crave the sweets like I used to.

My husband thought I was going through another diet phase when I came back to mfp Sept 30th 2013. He wasn't supportive. The only sabotage he may have engaged in was watching Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives over and over again during my first two weeks back.

Since then, he's started cooking with me from scratch. He's also started watching his sodium levels a bit more and gives more input on meals and shopping. It took a little while for him to come around.

Since September, I've lost 23 lbs so I'm not giving up.

Good luck with your parents. :)
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    sabotage.gif

First thing that came into my head haha
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that saying that your parents are like your roommates makes me think of a conversation I overheard at a party in college.

"How was your Christmas?"
    "It was awesome. My roommates bought me a car!"
    "Dude. They're your parents. Your parents bought you a car."
    "Yeah, I guess."

It's great that your splitting rent, but from the perspective of an outsider, you're both complaining about the food your mom (presumably) is cooking for you, and talking about how they're just like roommates. Now I don't know you, and for all I know this is far from being an accurate portrayal of your situation, but it doesn't come across very well, you know?
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have saboteurs around them? Seriously. This is getting rough. At this time, I am living with my parents while I am going back to school full time, and the food that gets brought in here is unbelievably tough. I have talked to them, but it isn't helping. Any advice?

Feel free to add me please. I can always use the motivation. Still 60lbs to go.
    :happy:

Having also lived with my parents as an adult, I can tell you the choices are:

1. Get involved in the family grocery shopping and more importantly, the preparation/cooking.
    If you are helping organize the pantry, sourcing recipes, writing the shopping list, going out and doing the shopping and whipping up meals, then you can lead by example and ALL eat better; or

2) MOVE OUT.

My mother actually would bring junk food (cakes, pastries, chocolates, sweets) EVERY time she visited my house after I moved out until I told her I throw stuff like that in the bin because I don't want it in my house.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

I pay rent as a roommate and all of my own bills. I don't mooch or live off of them financially. We agreed to have me here as a third of the rent as three roommates would. I am simply asking how to you all avoid the temptations when others bring the bad crap in. Maybe "sabotage" was a wrong word.

Well that makes it easy - treat their food like roommate's food. You wouldn't eat your roommates food, right?
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I have one on my friend's list.

only 1?
  • jeromybilbo7
    Options
    Well, I didn't ask anyone what they thought about me living with my parents. I did say that I do pay rent, I am not a moocher, and this is while I am going back to school. That's not what this thread is about. I asked if anyone had anyone who buys stuff that is hard to resist. I asked advice about resisting that. I was not attacking or complaining about my parents. It is about resisting food that others bring in. That's it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't ask anyone what they thought about me living with my parents. I did say that I do pay rent, I am not a moocher, and this is while I am going back to school. That's not what this thread is about. I asked if anyone had anyone who buys stuff that is hard to resist. I asked advice about resisting that. I was not attacking or complaining about my parents. It is about resisting food that others bring in. That's it.

well that's easy. you didnt buy it so dont eat it. eating any roommate's food you didnt buy is basically being a jerk, so basically just dont be a jerk :smile:
  • SerenaKitty
    Options

It is nearly impossible not to caught in the crossfire of p*ssing matches here. I suggest a raincoat.

I live with my parents. Most nights, I cook dinner. Also, like someone else mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to offer to do the grocery shopping. I've also found that being up front helps a lot! Tell them what you're struggling with - they might want to help you out. Cooking your own meals, buying your own food, and being open with your parents will get you a long way.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options

well that's easy. you didnt buy it so dont eat it. eating any roommate's food you didnt buy is basically being a jerk, so basically just dont be a jerk :smile:

Yeah that is like saying to some who has a broken arm "you ever try not having a broken arm". Sometimes you have to be a jerk and put your own health before other peoples snacks. People don't like how you live, or what you do, well to bad for them.