Distance runners: How to work past 90 minutes?

Options

Replies

• abickford82
    Options
    When I started running further than an hour, I just started incorporating walking and eventually turning it into running. The walk breaks helped. Just keep your hydration pack full and pack extra energy gels if you're running over 2 hours. It helped me.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Lol, one word, Houston, trust me, the treadmill is preferable.

i'm sure it's not as bad as you think.

100+ degrees and 90% or greater humidity 3/4 of the year, raining the other 1/4. Completely flat asphault and concrete everywhere, but no sidewalks. No trails, no running paths, no nothing. If you want to run, you have to DRIVE to a park and then run laps around the park....
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    right now I'm running on a treadmill

what?? more power to you. i can barely do 20 minutes on a treadmill. 90 minutes just seems like torture to me.

You can do 20 minutes? I'm impressed. Seriously, about 5 minutes on a treadmill and I start thinking up creative ways to end it. Many of them aren't even legal. My favorite is when I try to pull the fire alarm using telekinesis.

Me too, I am seriously impressed. You are a woman of steel nerves.

I think a chunk of the reasons that I can run long distances is that I'm trail running. Once I'm midway in and sense starts to hit (WTF am I doing?!) I'm trapped and the only way out of those woods is by my own feet. Well, I suppose I could wait for search and rescue, but that is a public shame that I'm not up for. On a treadmill all I'd have to do is hop off. That you can stay on for 90 minutes shows an extreme level of dedication.

I do have to drive to my trails, but they are close (a bunch within 20 minutes) and pretty, so it's worth it. I live in Western OR, so I don't even notice the rain. I really hate running in heat, though.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

100+ degrees and 90% or greater humidity 3/4 of the year, raining the other 1/4. Completely flat asphault and concrete everywhere, but no sidewalks. No trails, no running paths, no nothing. If you want to run, you have to DRIVE to a park and then run laps around the park....

there is no such thing as bad training weather, just the wrong training clothes.

humid and warm during the day? run early morning. concered about traffic? buy brightly colored clothes, or one of those safety light things you can clip on the back of your hat.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Me too, I am seriously impressed. You are a woman of steel nerves.

I think a chunk of the reasons that I can run long distances is that I'm trail running. Once I'm midway in and sense starts to hit (WTF am I doing?!) I'm trapped and the only way out of those woods is by my own feet. Well, I suppose I could wait for search and rescue, but that is a public shame that I'm not up for. On a treadmill all I'd have to do is hop off. That you can stay on for 90 minutes shows an extreme level of dedication.

I do have to drive to my trails, but they are close (a bunch within 20 minutes) and pretty, so it's worth it. I live in Western OR, so I don't even notice the rain. I really hate running in heat, though.

If I could drive to real TRAILS like I used to run in Virginia, I would be all for it, but there's no such thing here, just flat dirt paths around partially wooded parks that are mabye 1-3 square miles in total, so really not MUCH better than the treadmill which I can at least put my book on and zone out while I'm reading, and the treadmill is in a room with airconditioning....
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

there is no such thing as bad training weather, just the wrong training clothes.

humid and warm during the day? run early morning. concered about traffic? buy brightly colored clothes, or one of those safety light things you can clip on the back of your hat.

Running in the morning has never worked well for me. If I don't eat, my blood sugar crashes and I get the shakes, if I do eat, I upchuck. Like I said, I'm looking for somewhere I can do my long runs, just not very enthusiastically because Houston is mostly just gross, visually too, it's flat and boring here.

ETA: this is just me whining, I know I need to get over it....
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to check in and admit something:

after 55 miles in the last 4 days....my knees fell off. I was wrong.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    That is a long time to be running. Bad for your knees, bad for your muscles, maybe slightly good for your heart. It is up to you if you want to run that long, I suppose.

It is probably in your head. Very few modern people are mentally capable of running that long since it isn't a life or death situation. You aren't chasing down food and you aren't running from a predator (there are no other mammals in the world that can run as long as humans without needing a break.) Since the goal is only to finish the run, you have less of a primal drive pushing you. Only the people who make running their life can go into the 2+ hour range I'd say. If you aren't 100% dedicated, then it just won't happen. No shame in that, though.

I have cerebral palsy, fatigue extremely fast and can run 2+ hours. I'm dedicated to it, but not 100% and it definitely isn't my life. But if someone like me, who is below average can do it... It really doesn't take anything special to be able to do it.

Sounds to me like the OP needs to be fueling up. I couldn't run that either without fueling up on my runs either.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options

Running in the morning has never worked well for me. If I don't eat, my blood sugar crashes and I get the shakes, if I do eat, I upchuck. Like I said, I'm looking for somewhere I can do my long runs, just not very enthusiastically because Houston is mostly just gross, visually too, it's flat and boring here.

ETA: this is just me whining, I know I need to get over it....

having visited Houston, I can sympathize. It is gross there. i also cannot eat before long runs. At most it is a banana or apple and peanut butter. I will take an energy gel every 6 miles. It doesn't seem to upset my stomach as much as real food does. Now that I am ultra training, I either do powergel chews, red vines (twizzlers would work just as well), or a mixture of banana, peanut butter, and honey. Its calorie dense and doesn't kill me.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    That is a long time to be running. Bad for your knees, bad for your muscles, maybe slightly good for your heart. It is up to you if you want to run that long, I suppose.

It is probably in your head. Very few modern people are mentally capable of running that long since it isn't a life or death situation. You aren't chasing down food and you aren't running from a predator (there are no other mammals in the world that can run as long as humans without needing a break.) Since the goal is only to finish the run, you have less of a primal drive pushing you. Only the people who make running their life can go into the 2+ hour range I'd say. If you aren't 100% dedicated, then it just won't happen. No shame in that, though.

I have cerebral palsy, fatigue extremely fast and can run 2+ hours. I'm dedicated to it, but not 100% and it definitely isn't my life. But if someone like me, who is below average can do it... It really doesn't take anything special to be able to do it.

Sounds to me like the OP needs to be fueling up. I couldn't run that either without fueling up on my runs either.

Wow that is really awesome. I'm going to remember this post next time I'm making excuses about why I can't push through something. Thank you for this post.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options

i don't think you sound below average at all.

Trying to think of something awesome to say without being patronizing, but all I can think of is "run on". Keep being fantastic.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Trying to think of something awesome to say without being patronizing, but all I can think of is "run on". Keep being fantastic.

+1
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

+1

+2
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    OK I've run a full marathon and 2 1/2 marathons.

I like the run 10 minutes walk one minute routine. (with credit to John Stanton)

It works to increase distance.

So if you want to run 90 minutes just run 10 minutes walk one minute and repeat 9 times.

The walking is not "cheating" It allows your body a bit of a rest. Studies were done-this is from John Stanton-Running Room founder-and for most recreational runners (not the super elites) Their overall marathon time actually dropped with walking breaks.
  • TheOneandOnlyPanda
    TheOneandOnlyPanda Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    In just because.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I am a borderline genius who says stupid things on internet forums because I try to over simplify my ideas. It is hard being me. Sometimes I come across as being completely wrong, other times only somewhat wrong. I keep on keeping on.

Ha ha ha....

Seriously dude? Completely schooled by people who walk the walk and "borderline genius" is what you're going with?

Just when I think I've seen it all on these forums...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

This post made me laugh heartily.

One should not believe anything in the quoted post.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    So I wasn't about to read 7 pages of nonsense but to the OP you don't run enough, plain & simple. You do one run a week and you try to go 90+ minutes. Run a few more times during the week because you aren't going to improve the situation you are in.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    So I wasn't about to read 7 pages of nonsense but to the OP you don't run enough, plain & simple. You do one run a week and you try to go 90+ minutes. Run a few more times during the week because you aren't going to improve the situation you are in.

Ok, but a few posts in I do mention that my two HIIT sessions a week are part of 30 minute runs, so I'm not just doing one run a week. I do hear what you are saying though. Option #2 is increase my weekday run times if the fueling up doesn't work.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Ok, but a few posts in I do mention that my two HIIT sessions a week are part of 30 minute runs, so I'm not just doing one run a week. I do hear what you are saying though. Option #2 is increase my weekday run times if the fueling up doesn't work.

You'll find the two are complementary. You haven't articulated your reasons for doing two HIIT sessions, but improving your run speed is a combination of putting in the miles and some interval training. If you're not getting the base mileage in then the interval training will have less effect.

Common amongst "three per week" runners is - Long slow, interval session, tempo session.

Given that you've mentioned a 45 minute threshold for your weekday sessions I'd suggest a fourth session as a good way to increase mileage as well, but you have two sessions to increase the time on before you really need to worry about that.