Mc Donalds everyday Calorie Deficit

Options

Replies

• ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    All this talk about big and tastys has me confused. I haven't seen one in ~10+ years at any mcdonlalds.

Perks of being Dutch I guess :)

333555372_640.jpg
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am starting to feel a little weak. I often get coffee at McDonalds drive throughs, and I feel extremely smug when coffee is all I drive away with. I did clock the Big Tasty on my last visit though. Must be strong!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you wouldn't look any better. It's an old debate. Everyone with common sense knows that what you eat on a deficit DOES make a difference in the long term.

Oh and Guus, fat does not make you fat :flowerforyou:. It's a myth. You'll gain bodyfat if you lose mucsle mass or when you eat above your TDEE. Eating more balanced (40/30/30 - carbs/protein/fat) will give you the protein it need to preserve musclemass while on a deficit.

Won't look any better in what sense, exactly? What difference in my appearance is caused by getting my chicken salad at McDonalds vs making it at home, exactly?

Who eats salads at McDonalds??

Well logically if it continues to be on the menu it's because people buy it.

That said I quite enjoy the southwest salad and so I, for one, eat salads at McDonalds.

McDonalds put salads on the menu because they have a bad rep of being unhealthy. You know I was being sarcastic about who eats a salad at McDonalds. To each their own. I for one am more of a Big Tasty kind off gal. I would never order a salad at McDonalds. To me it's like going to a prostitute for a hug :wink:.

If it works for you, then that's great. But I think you understood what I was trying to say. Eating all McDonalds daily is not a good basis to lose weight on.

I genuinely don't understand how one can't use McDonalds as a basis to lose weight (some science teacher has lost 40 pounds doing so while keeping a pretty decent macro ratio) or in what manner it will stop a person from looking better.

Salads are the only thing I go to McDonalds for. I get my burgers from Wendy's like a civilized person.

Lol, Lucky you. We don't have Wendy's here :grumble:.

I'm assuming that you don't want the weight back that you've lost? It's not that hard to understand really. It's about the rest of your life, about health, about giving youru body all it needs. I still need to read the first scientific proof that you can live a long and healthy life by eating only at McDonalds. But hey, if it works for you...

In what way does eating at a certain restaurant mean I'll regain the weight I've lost? In what way is the food there different than what I'd eat somewhere else? Is the food at McDonald's somehow different from other food in such a way that eating it within my set calorie allotment will cause weight gain?

I've yet to see proof that eating McDonalds daily within ones calorie goals causes harm. So you have any studies or science that indicates otherwise?

Thankfully, I don't believe they have found anyone that will eat only McDonalds within their calorie goal for a long term (I'm talking years). You know why? Because thankfully most people know it's not a healthy choice in the long term. Seeing as salads only make up a VERY small percentage of McDonalds assortment, it would mean you wouldn't have much variation in your diet. Most people are smart enough to know eating at McDonalds all the time isn't doing your health much good.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mcdonalds-diet-unhealthy-even-if-you-lose-weight-2014-1

As I stated, in general, people don't go to McDonalds for salads.
    http://eater.com/archives/2013/10/21/no-one-is-ordering-salads-at-mcdonalds.php
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/29/mcdonalds-salads-sales_n_3355068.html

Even McDonalds will tell you not to eat junk food all the time.
    http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/blogs/daily-dose/2013/12/24/mcdonald-employee-website-warns-workers-away-from-its-fast-food/4jfJY3KWTzQROGFVSXw6wJ/blog.html

If you want to make your point to me, how about you only eat at McDonalds for the rest of your life? Let me know that that went.

9 million people isn't a fairly decent amount of people and in fact is such a small number that you hand wave it away as people not doing it? Alright then.

Business insider link: anti processed food scare mongering that's in no way a scientific study or proof of anything. I mean, it's baseless and hinges on that whole 'health is about vauge factors we don't actually detail and have no way of measuring or quantified when asked, but can only be achived via whole foods' line of nonesense reasoning. (Seriously? The oatmeal has as much sugar as a bag of m&M's, so its not healthty? Better stop eating apples then, those things are loaded with sugar.)

That third link. Oh. Some stuff was taken out of context (as stated by the company itself) and used to prove a faulty point. Well. That changes everything. :indifferent:

And again in what way is eating egg white sandwiches, oatmeal, and chicken salads at home different than if I get it at McDonalds? Because were I to eat there every day that is what I'd eat, after all. And, finally and back to my original question, how will eating MCDonalds to lose weight make me look worse than if I were to eat somewhere else?

TL;DR: You made a statement, haven't actually attempted in any manner to back up said statement, and think that random opinion peices with obvious bias constitute good conversational points. I am not impressed. I was genuinely hoping for something a bit more spirited.

Actually that business insider opinion peice had a hidden nugget of gold in the comments.
    I'm still trying to figure out how this was bad for him if he was also keeping himself within daily recommended guidelines for nutrients though the Mickey D's diet plan(i.e. fats, proteins, sugars, sodium, cholesterol, vitamins, etc.). Your article says that he carefully restricted himself to "2,000 calories and recommended dietary allowances for carbohydrates, cholesterol, etc.". If he was able to do that within the Mickey D's menu, how is that bad for him? Please explain.

I agree there may be different ways to reach those goals that you or I would consider "better" (McDonald's food really sucks from a taste perspective), but your article seems to imply that the exact same caloric and nutritional intake is bad just because it comes from McDonald's rather than Whole Foods. If you are going to bash McDonald's, it should be based on real and accurate information, not your subjective view of the desirability of their brand of rapidly prepared food.

I was amused
  • barwwd
    barwwd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    UMMMM... watch Supersize Me. The damage you would do to your body is immense.
  • fighttheflab43
    Options
    i work at mc donalds.( been there 4 months now) i av chicken and bacon salad , carrot sticks and fruit bag with my muller light yoghurt every shift. i dont intend to pile any more weight on. ( re started mfp jan 2nd) i see folks stuff their face with burgers n junk food and its not for me plus i cant eat alot of junk food as it causes my ibs to suffer more..... but happy working there thou lol
  • fighttheflab43
    Options
    big and tastys av come in recently since xmas ... not tried one but i will before the end of their promotion beginning of feb. but im not keen on burgers...cause they make me fat lol
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I don't care if your calories come from cheesecake and ice cream, McDonald's, or "clean" foods every day, if you're eating at a deficit, you're going to lose weight. That's just how it works. It's never been any different and it's never going to change. Calories in - calories out.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    You guys aren't seeing the menu for what you CAN get, and are just seeing stereotypes if you think this diet would be just total crap and devoid of whole foods. Also a high protein diet would be easily achievable (though would get boring). Egg whites and grilled chicken breasts are your go to food for protein, salads, fruit and oatmeal (without the sugar added), English muffins, fruit and walnut salads with extra walnuts...

Seriously, eating my macros all from McDonalds with a semblance of a healthy diet wouldn't even be a stretch. I think sodium may be the only thing that would be tough to avoid.

You guys did know that whatever food item it is, grilled chicken pattie or otherwise, that you can order just THAT item right? You can get food and substitutions not on the menu.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Theoratically yes.

But it would be hard to get your macro's especially if you have high protein goals.

Carbs and fat will be easy to get and as long as you are eating under deficit you will lose weight.

But because of al the fats in it you will gain in BF%

the bolded part is wrong. fat consumption has nothing to do with body fat. You can lose weight eating 90% fat, if you are in a caloric deficit, as nothing will be stored as fat, if you have an energy deficit.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Theoratically yes.

But it would be hard to get your macro's especially if you have high protein goals.

Carbs and fat will be easy to get and as long as you are eating under deficit you will lose weight.

I can't believe someone actually still believes that eating fat makes you fat.

You will not gain body fat from eating fat... You gain body fat from having an excess calorie intake, whether those calories come from protein, carbs, or fats does not matter.

I don't totally agree with this, if someone would be eating -500 deficit each day, let's say he/she eats around the 1500 calories a day and 90% of that intake is satureted and/or trans fat you will gain in BF% much faster then if someone is eating a "normal" % of fat intake a day lets's say something between 20-40%
    That's just normal and how a body reacts ot the intake.

I had put it wrong in the first comment, but just ment that eat much more fat then your body needs, even if you stay at a deficit you will gain some BF instead of losing. It is not soo much compared to overeating ofcourse but there is a difference between eating 90% intake fat or 30% intake fat just try it :D
    This is false. If you are in a deficit your body will not store fat. Period. Doesn't matter what you eat.
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    calories in vs calories out plus you will probablies spend more time on the toilet lmao
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You guys aren't seeing the menu for what you CAN get, and are just seeing stereotypes if you think this diet would be just total crap and devoid of whole foods. Also a high protein diet would be easily achievable (though would get boring). Egg whites and grilled chicken breasts are your go to food for protein, salads, fruit and oatmeal (without the sugar added), English muffins, fruit and walnut salads with extra walnuts...

Seriously, eating my macros all from McDonalds with a semblance of a healthy diet wouldn't even be a stretch. I think sodium may be the only thing that would be tough to avoid.

You guys did know that whatever food item it is, grilled chicken pattie or otherwise, that you can order just THAT item right? You can get food and substitutions not on the menu.

I'm pretty sure the sole act of being from McDonalds makes that grilled chicken bad for you. I'm not sure how, but I'm hoping someone will inform me at some point
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure the sole act of being from McDonalds makes that grilled chicken bad for you. I'm not sure how, but I'm hoping someone will inform me at some point
    aliens-meme.jpeg
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    UMMMM... watch Supersize Me. The damage you would do to your body is immense.
    Ummmmm the guy in the documentary ate wayyyy over his caloric intake.
    On another note, people put way too much stock in these "documentaries", that they watch them and preach about them like they think that they "know" something.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Theoratically yes.

You will not gain body fat from eating fat... You gain body fat from having an excess calorie intake, whether those calories come from protein, carbs, or fats does not matter.

I don't totally agree with this, if someone would be eating -500 deficit each day, let's say he/she eats around the 1500 calories a day and 90% of that intake is satureted and/or trans fat you will gain in BF% much faster then if someone is eating a "normal" % of fat intake a day lets's say something between 20-40%

I had put it wrong in the first comment, but just ment that eat much more fat then your body needs, even if you stay at a deficit you will gain some BF instead of losing. It is not soo much compared to overeating ofcourse but there is a difference between eating 90% intake fat or 30% intake fat just try it :D

False. If you are in a deficit, your body cannot store anything as fat. That's why it's called a deficit.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you wouldn't look any better. It's an old debate. Everyone with common sense knows that what you eat on a deficit DOES make a difference in the long term.

Oh and Guus, fat does not make you fat :flowerforyou:. It's a myth. You'll gain bodyfat if you lose mucsle mass or when you eat above your TDEE. Eating more balanced (40/30/30 - carbs/protein/fat) will give you the protein it need to preserve musclemass while on a deficit.

Won't look any better in what sense, exactly? What difference in my appearance is caused by getting my chicken salad at McDonalds vs making it at home, exactly?

Who eats salads at McDonalds??

I do
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Theoratically yes.

Gustaaf, that is highly exaggerated - yes, if your diet was 90% fat you would likely partition fat faster, but only at a surplus. However, no human diet, certainly not one of food from MCD will reach close to 90% fat. In a deficit diet would you lose more muscle if you ate a 90% fat diet? Yes. That would indeed be an insufficient amount of protein to keep LBM during the loss, but you wouldn't gain fat - you'd just lose more LBM than a more balanced diet. The %bf would increase but the amount of fat would not.
    There just isn't that much potential for fat storage at a 500 calorie true deficit.
    Just how do plan to achieve a 90% fat diet at MCD ? Not a reasonable hypothetical.
  • cbumbalough
    cbumbalough Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You could. You'd probably be hungry during the day at some point with all the empty calories.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You could. You'd probably be hungry during the day at some point with all the empty calories.

So because the food came from McDonalds it doesn't have fat, carbs or protien? I am wondering where you get that the food would be empty calories. They have a website that offers nutritional information, it is not that hard to see that saying McDonalds is empty calories is completely ridiculous.
  • bloggymomx
    Options
    Just from sort-of experience:

I have a friend who swore up and down that because a McDonalds meal was within her "Weight Watchers Points" she could eat it constantly and lose tons of weight. Guess what happened? She gained or maintained and didn't lose. She got so angry at me when I tried to tell her that wasn't healthy food to put into her body, she's not concentrating on the calories, etc...

So it would depend on what you're eating and what the nutritional facts are. But if you're eating at a defect, you probably will lose some weight...until your body gets used to the way you're eating and your weight loss stalls. :)

But I'm not an expert, this is just my opinion and experience.