All calories ARE NOT created equal !!!

Options

Replies

• chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    tl;dr.

This again? A calorie is a unit of measure. Smh.

so, ok....you found it too long and you didnt read it...so why bother commenting??...(just interested, you understand!!)

Because I find a giant wall of text difficult to read. And I commented because this is about the fifth thread I've seen with this title in 2014, and I'm not even on here that often! I could care less about how a person loses weight, low carb, high protein, or whatever. But to say a calorie ISN'T just a calorie is silly.

noone is asking you to reply...so why bother??

I bolded the part where it says why I replied. That's why I bothered.

yes, I did see that bit...and to ge honest..if I felt as cross/frustrated as you OBVIOUSLY do....even more reason why I would have moved on without responding :-)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I exchanged them for more protein. I often eat over my calories now. and still losing weight great. But I eat what i want for only one meal. burgers, fries, whatever. then meat and veggies for all other meals.

You are either over-estimating your calorie intake, or underestimating your calorie burn. It's not possible to lose weight while regularly exceeding calorie burn with intake.
  • chatogal
    Options
    PS everyone... I was diagnosed with pre diabetes so I LOST 70 lbs two years ago to control it.. I followed the same lower carb I idea/ regimen as I am doing now. when I started eating a larger amount of carbs, I gained 28 of those lbs back. So the proof is in my putting.

Rather than telling people calories are not created equal, why don't you simply say that macronutrient composition can affect how your body performs and functions? I don't think rational minded people would disagree with the latter statement, but many people do take issue with saying calories aren't "equal." Put another way, you wouldn't necessarily contrast an overweight person with big thighs and an athlete with big thighs by saying "all inches are not created equal!" I get what you're saying, but I think it comes down to how you phrase it.

I like this reply!!! :-)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: the only requirement to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn.

OP, I suspect you lost weight by creating a deficit by replacing sugary foods/carbs with lower calorie foods.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Glad you've found something that works for you. Keep fueling your body and best of luck.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    tl;dr.

so, ok....you found it too long and you didnt read it...so why bother commenting??...(just interested, you understand!!)

Because I find a giant wall of text difficult to read. And I commented because this is about the fifth thread I've seen with this title in 2014, and I'm not even on here that often! I could care less about how a person loses weight, low carb, high protein, or whatever. But to say a calorie ISN'T just a calorie is silly.

yes, I did see that bit...and to ge honest..if I felt as cross/frustrated as you OBVIOUSLY do....even more reason why I would have moved on without responding :-)

It's my TOM. I respond to threads without reservation during this time, and often more fiesty when there's no chocolate to be had. :angry::flowerforyou:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I exchanged them for more protein. I often eat over my calories now. and still losing weight great. But I eat what i want for only one meal. burgers, fries, whatever. then meat and veggies for all other meals.
    Then you numbers,are wrong somewhere. The only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    PS everyone... I was diagnosed with pre diabetes so I LOST 70 lbs two years ago to control it.. I followed the same lower carb I idea/ regimen as I am doing now. when I started eating a larger amount of carbs, I gained 28 of those lbs back. So the proof is in my putting.

Rather than telling people calories are not created equal, why don't you simply say that macronutrient composition can affect how your body performs and functions? I don't think rational minded people would disagree with the latter statement, but many people do take issue with saying calories aren't "equal." Put another way, you wouldn't necessarily contrast an overweight person with big thighs and an athlete with big thighs by saying "all inches are not created equal!" I get what you're saying, but I think it comes down to how you phrase it.

Love this analogy. :drinker::flowerforyou:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm happy you found what works for you. Don't let the low-carb criticizers get to you. They do this to everyone who eats low carb. Personally, I feel way better eating low carb and high fat. The weight and fat loss is an added bonus!

Nobody is arguing with her choice to eat low carb, but rather the statement she makes that defies science.

+1

I think the OP confused calories for macros more than anything, but with these threads, I usually see like five people come in to spout their hatred or misunderstanding of low carb eating plans, so I'm preparing for the inevitable.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm happy you found what works for you. Don't let the low-carb criticizers get to you. They do this to everyone who eats low carb. Personally, I feel way better eating low carb and high fat. The weight and fat loss is an added bonus!

Nobody is arguing with her choice to eat low carb, but rather the statement she makes that defies science.

+1

I think the OP confused calories for macros more than anything, but with these threads, I usually see like five people come in to spout their hatred or misunderstanding of low carb eating plans, so I'm preparing for the inevitable.

Kinda like how the OP has no idea about DNL?
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    You only proved to point that it is calories in vs. calories out. Think about it. You dropped your carbs to one carb enriched meal per day. Let's look at that. I'm pretty sure you didn't replace those (carb) calories with protein or fat calories. So that means all you did was make your deficit bigger. It is still calories in vs calories out. If you had reduced fats or protein your body would have done the same thing. Eat those calories back in protein or fat and you will still be looking at the same weight as before. Your body may look different because the macros changed.
  • chatogal
    Options
    tl;dr.

It's my TOM. I respond to threads without reservation during this time, and often more fiesty when there's no chocolate to be had. :angry::flowerforyou:

lol...okkkkk...(perfect answer!!!)

And I am TOTALLY enjoying my menapausal symptomatic responses...here's to fiesty ladies and their hormones (or lack of!!!)
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    you are right. calories from a butterfinger taste way better than calories from a salad.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    See, this is the kind of stuff that confuses me. I was under the impression that it didn't really matter WHAT you ate, as long as you stayed in a deficit, you would lose weight? Then I see posts like this and it makes me think I'm doing something wrong. I have very little weight to lose in the first place and since it's coming off so slow (5lbs in 3 months) this post makes me think i'm doing something wrong

You're right, if you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight.

This is what makes me so irate when people bring their personal anecdotes into the equation and try to go against proven science. It confuses other members who have been struggling.

OP:

If you're not losing weight on the scale, look to see if you're losing inches. Scales are not always reliable, If you just started working out, think about muscle gain, water retention. Did you drink enough water? Did you go to the bathroom before weighing yourself? Is your scale broken? Does it need new batteries? Are you weighing too often? Are you weighing in the morning before you eat/drink and after you've gone to the bathroom? Is your sodium too high? Are you measuring and weighing your food? Are you eating or drinking hidden calories? Are you logging calories incorrectly? Guessing calories? Reading labels? Are you losing inches? Are your clothes looser?

A calorie is always a calorie. It's a unit of measurement. If all calories are not created equal, then all miles are not created equal, all inches are not created equal. Ounces, centimeters, kilograms, mL.

You're diabetic. Yeah? My dad's a type-one diabetic. He counted calories and lost 50 pounds when my (non-diabetic) mom was counting calories and she lost 95 pounds (she had more to lose). Your body isn't misinterpreting calories. You are. Your body isn't so different from a non-diabetic's when dieting is concerned. You can eat low-carb if it makes you feel better and you obviously have to pay more attention to what you eat to avoid blood sugar dips/spikes, but you can't misinterpret science based on your shoddy personal anecdote and confuse some newbies. How fair is that to them?

There could be a ton of reasons you haven't lost weight. A global scientific conspiracy isn't one of them, sorry. If you really don't think calories are created equally, why are you logging your food on MFP?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    You are confused. You are confusing calories as a measurement of energy with nutrition, which may or may not depend on the amount of calories we eat. I also do better when I eat less carbs, especially processed carbs and eat more carbs from vegetables together with protein and have so far lost 45 pounds.
    That however does not change the fact that a calorie is a calorie, is a calorie.....:o). I eat at a deficit to lose weight. I eat pretty much whole foods with a focus on complex carbs , protein and fat to make that weight loss easier for me personally and also for better health which as far as nutrition is concerned has very little to do with actual weight loss. For that only a caloric deficit is important.
    I am willing to bet ,that if you eat protein beyond your caloric deficit you will gain weight, no matter how healthy your diet. Been there....done that....lol.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Ok, so you ate less carbs, but what carbs did you cut out, and what did you replace those carbs with? If you cut out high carb/high fat foods, then you would create a calorie deficit, leading to weight loss. If you simply adjusted your macros and ate more protein and fewer carbs, then the problem wasn't the carbs, as both protein and carbs contain 4 calories per gram. I suspect the issue has less to do with carbs and more to do with overall calorie intake and the amount of fat in the food you were eating.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    you are right. calories from a butterfinger taste way better than calories from a salad.

Salad with butterfinger crumbles?? om nom noms
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    the calorie is calorie doesn't concern me but what did is finding out that a underwear band on generic underwear are not as strong as name brand making it much easier to chew through when I was repeatly givin atomic wedgies in school they would always hook the band in my opened mouth, I might not be able to verify the calorie thing but a dang sure can the bands on underwear.........
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

+1

No hatred for my low-carb friends! :)
  • necee99
    necee99 Posts: 52
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of energy, period. What your referring to is that different types of macro's have different metabolic pathways and influence our body composition differently.

Its called a play on words guys. I am not saying a calorie does not equal a calorie in reality. but if that is the case. a calorie is still not a calorie (disclaimer-word play) if it is consumed differently in some and not others. so if i eat 1200 calories worth of candy, I am going to be in trouble! VS. if i ate 1200 cal of broccoli,,,, OK!

Um, no. I've tried. LOL. What you guys don't under stand is the it's not that a calorie is or is not a calorie. It's that some of us process them differently. Come on. PLAY ON WORDS!
    Um... what? If you ate 1200 calories of candy or 1200 calories of broccoli, if it was a calorie deficit, you'd lose weight.