first thing you changed to start the healthy new you?

Options

Replies

• amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    What was the first thing you changed to get healthy?
    - Reduce sugar in my tea and limiting my sugary drink consumption (both eventually cut completely)

What was the hardest for you to change?
    - Listening to my body and doing everything in moderation

what is your start weight?
    - 264ish

What is your current weight?
    - I don't really know (focusing more on strength and how I feel) but probably around 156ish

What is the best part of your journey?
    - Falling in love with lifting and becoming more confident :smile: Oh and seeing my muscles :heart:
  • Kerrygirlinmaldon
    Kerrygirlinmaldon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hired a personal trainer to keep me motivated

Giving up cupcakess/biscuits/chocolate

SW 211
    CW 192
    UGW 140

Getting fitter and enjoying it!
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options

1.) Forgetting what I thought I knew and realizing I have a lot to learn. No rigidity when it comes to weight loss, eating and fitness.

2.) Realizing that what is hurting my good plans was always trying to implement a perfect one.

3.) I was over 275 but the scale I had at the time maxed out at that. When I started MFP a little under 200.

4.) 171 lbs

5.) Teaching my sister how to drop a few pounds, no more sleep apnea, snoring ((really loud btw)) and acid reflux. to name a few things at the top of my head that are pretty much tied.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What was the first thing you changed to get healthy? I weighed my food

What was the hardest for you to change? Picking at food while cooking

what is your start weight?333 pounds

What is your current weight?224

What is the best part of your journey? Not using the word Journey and realising I can eat food just less of it
  • kokkoberry
    Options
    definatly agree with you ... i used to binge badly for 11 years and i finally had a trigger and my journey started ... no mind set on changing = failures , struggles .
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    -> My mindset; telling myself "I deserve to be the best I can", rather than "I need to change because i dont like myself"

-> My mindset :D When your brain has a habit of beating you down, its hard to break, but doable!

what is your start weight? 57 kg

What is your current weight? 56kg (with a different body composition :D )

What is the best part of your journey? The journey itself -> the way Ive evolved not just physically but emotionally and spiritually too
  • ElectricDragon
    ElectricDragon Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Gave up soda and other heavily carbonated or heavily sweetened drinks. Also stopped eating multiples-- no more two or three cheeseburgers or a double or triple cheeseburger in a single sitting every other day. Also got a NutriBullet and learned about eating greener, ate more kale, spinach, and veggies.

Hardest thing to change was my own negative thoughts telling me I couldn't do this. The weight loss is a result of a better state of emotional awareness and dedication. That came first.

What is your start weight? 303 pounds, May 2013
    What is your current weight? 235 pounds, December 2013

I just feel so much better mentally and physically. I'm more energetic, more positive. I learned how to focus on me and that I matter. The journey is not over. I'm pretty much at my halfway point
  • andrewjuu
    andrewjuu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    ....Committed to regular exercise.

....The above.

....265+

....The approving looks from women, being healthier & buying new clothes that fit.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

Gave up soda and other heavily carbonated or heavily sweetened drinks. Also stopped eating multiples-- no more two or three cheeseburgers or a double or triple cheeseburger in a single sitting every other day. Also got a NutriBullet and learned about eating greener, ate more kale, spinach, and veggies.
    that's such an important step - i think that a combination of logging (or pre-logging ) meals and eating slower helped me to over come the "if one was so good then two will be better" POV. I had a hard time not cleaning my plate.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    What was the first thing you changed to get healthy? Decided to eat right

What was the hardest for you to change? Getting more exercise, activity

what is your start weight? 174

What is your current weight? 128

What is the best part of your journey? A total attitude change about food, and a focus on continuously, however slowly getting healthier and stronger each day
  • Health_Temple
    Options
    The first thing I did was realize I was not as healthy As I thought. The hardest thing was starting, whether it was putting on the gym clothes or figuring out what I could do inside or with a baby and no vehicle or babysitter to go to the gym. The best thing for me was little improvements I noticed I could add a half mile here or go up .1 miles per hour on the treadmill. Oh another hard thing was over coming injuries from being completely sedentary for much of my life and getting no real help from medical. My starting weight (also my highest weight not including the few weeks after child birth) was 159 I'm currently at 150 and can healthily make it down to 110 where I had been before and was able to do 6 pull ups in a set! I only ever did one set but it was amazing hahaha. I'm less concerned with what my inaccurate scale says or any other scale because what I see in the mirror or how I feel walking up 5 flights of stairs or just how I feel in general is worth it. I will probably get smaller but am more concerned with body fat % and how I actually look and feel. If I had to put a number on it right now I have set my gw to 135 but I wouldn't mind staying the same or being less than that either as long as I'm healthy and happy!
  • Shrevejude
    Options
    1) Commitment Level to a program of "six". Six days eating at my goal calorie level and one day to "let my hair down" within reason. That way if I have a slip it really isn't a failure because that day becomes my one day to enjoy...then back to the "six".

2) So far I've tackled coffee and it was a bear! It was making my body very acidic, sluggish when caffeine levels fell, and causing gout-like symptoms in my joints. First night my legs went into terrible cramping waking me up and in agony for hours, then I slept about 18 hours, then I had a foggy 3 hours awake, then back to sleep for about 12 hours. Woke up alert, energetic, and sans eye bags and joint pain!

3) 280 lbs.

3) 269 lbs.

4914179.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

4) Realizing that this is doable. And feeling like I could sustain this for the remainder of my life. I'm not hungry, I get a treat now and then, and then back to my calorie range/portion size. Oh yah, even though I'm just getting started, my clothes are starting to fit more comfortably!
  • CindaWhite
    CindaWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options

1. I decided to actually do all the things I knew how to do and should be doing...eating small meals, drinking water...

2. There hasn't really been a "hard" thing for me but I am not making time to exercise and that will have to change.

3. 183.6 lbs. July 1, 2013

4. 151.4 lbs. January 12, 2014.

5. The day I learned I was no longer obese!

I have to say the journey for me has been very enjoyable. I have consistently lost weight, only gaining when I consciously decided to stop temporarily (stayed at hospital 4 days solid in ice storm, ate from cafeteria...) and then again over the holiday (a whopping 3 lbs. gain). So I feel I have been pretty blessed. I ended the year 29.8 lbs. down in 6 months so I have no complaints.
    I love this journey and the best part now is sharing it with all my MFP friends.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    "What was the first thing you changed to get healthy?"

Depends on what you mean by "healthy." Back in 2008, I decided I had better get a lot more exercise, and started cycling regularly. In terms of weight loss, though, it was counting calories, which I started about a year ago. From 2008 to 2012, I became much fitter (cardiovascular and strength) but I only lost about 10 lbs. Since I started counting calories, I am down over 45.

"What was the hardest for you to change?"

Those first few weeks of eating 700 calories a day under maintenance were pretty tough! I got hungry a lot. Now it's easier. The second hardest was giving up having a cheese course most nights. Now it's just a couple times a week, and I weigh each piece.

"what is your start weight?"

214.8 lbs. on January 7, 2013.

"What is your current weight?"

168.5 lbs. as of today. Goal is 155, some time in April or May.

"What is the best part of your journey?"

There are two. Fitness-wise, it's being able to spend 10 hours bicycling through the Berkshire Hills in western Massachusetts in a day, and not be completely wiped out afterwards. With regard to weight loss, it's not having a big gut in the way when I'm sitting down or lying on the couch.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Starting weighing my food What a wake up call. Reality check!
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    -Bought more vegetables out shopping- I hate waste so if I buy them, I have to eat them.
    -Getting my facts straight, I done a lot of reading across MFP and the rest of the internet so I was informed and knew that there are others like me. Now I know if I do have a slip up of weak moment, to brush myself off and exercise harder or longer next time, and a treat meal isn't a treat day.

-Carbs. I haven't cut them altogether but I adore white bread and white pasta, which I know I can have but the refined sugars in them aren't good for me. I'd rather save them for a special occasion like dinner out at an Italian restaurant where I can't dictate the type of pasta and don't feel guilty.
    -Exercise, 2 weeks in and I still struggle but drag myself everyday to do some activity, usually jumping rope fast mixed in with so aerobics. I've had one day off so far and will give myself another next week.
    -Eating out, altering my menu choices from cheese-laden food or fried foods.

-224lbs

-Unsure, have yet to weigh myself. At the moment this is about focusing on a lifestyle change, the weight-loss will follow. My guess is 5lbs down.

-Fruit has become a friend almost because I've never be a fan of fruit, but it staves off hunger and I'm aware that I'm putting something into my body that it wants and will completely utilise. It's also nice to feel less strain on my ankles- they hurt after working out and before I've stretched properly before working out but I can feel they're stronger than they were and I'm looking forward to making them even more stable. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

<> back in Nov-Dec of '08 when I FIRST started to make positive changes, I went out & purchased an "athletic" outfit (sporty jacket, track pants, proper sneakers) and began walking as far as I could manage to, several nights per week.

<> eating in restaurants less. Not that hard, but I am still *tempted* to dine out much more frequently than is a good idea.

<> 307 (all-time high) and by the time I joined MFP in March 2013, 262

<> 201

<> I cringe at calling it a 'journey' personally...but the best for me is feeling that I have achieved what I thought was impossible for me. I have not been at this weight since I was 15. I'll soon be at a weight I haven't been since I was 14. I am 37 now.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options

* Quit smoking

* Quit smoking

Getting stronger and healthier by the day. I can do some badass ninja type **** now!
  • StephMCompton
    Options
    quit drinking alcohol and diet soda

eating salt and sugar

learning discipline
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Reduce the amount times I eat out!!!