first thing you changed to start the healthy new you?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Here's some quotes (which also help me stay motivated) that have helped me continue moving forward:

"Choosing to live healthier than I was"

:heart: Note to Self:

"it's not about "cutting out" certain foods, it's about eating less of them and less often."

"Motivation has to come from within that part of your soul that truly wants change."

"If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse"

I have to want to lose weight more than I want to eat ____(blank)

I have to commit to change before I can see ANY changes. I have to WANT CHANGE, and then MAKE CHANGES to SEE CHANGES.

Figure out what I'm willing to give up to get where I wanna be..

"FOOD = FUEL and should not be made the enemy.
    When you make food your enemy and feel guilty about eating, you are setting yourself up for a daily struggle for the rest of your life."

The first thing I changed was my MIND! Don't bother going any further until you do. :smile:
    Never was something more wisely said!:wink::drinker:

My secret magic trick is water water water:drinker: If I find I'm craving something if I stay on track with water everything seems so much easier.

It's like the very first thing I do, a mental check of my water intake. If I'm drinking less than normal I can tell things don't feel right, more cravings etc.

Interesting to read the everyones "first thing you changed...":happy:
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    What was the first thing you changed to get healthy? Joined a gym

What was the hardest for you to change? Eating habits, especially since my husband has a physical job and eats anything

what is your start weight? 78kg

What is your current weight? 62kg

What is the best part of your journey? The health benefits, gaining self confidence and buying a Australian size 7 jeans (was a size 14)
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    What was the first thing you changed to get healthy?
    Recognized that medical issues needed to be tackled FIRST to be successful.

What was the hardest for you to change?
    Being willing to put time/energy into thinking about healthy eating & exercising. It's so remedial, and I'm in my 40s and an experienced athlete.

what is your start weight?
    236 all-time high, 223 on arrival to MFP

What is your current weight?
    212 and dropping!

What is the best part of your journey?
    Feeling like "me" again - ready to do whatever is needed to overcome medical limitations so I can be fast, flexible, and strong.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    Starting adding vegetables to food I already liked :p

Not eating so much takeaway and cheese lol

163 when I started dieting ( but I have been 183)

118.8lbs

Appreciating calorie dense food more, not taking things like doughnuts and pizza for granted but actually enjoying them in moderation instead of comfort eating. Also the community here is pretty wonderful.
    Also being able to wear a lot of different clothes without having to worry about lumps and bumps :)
  • Rosieannaxo
    Options
    1.)What was the first thing you changed to get healthy?

-Cut portions
    -Cut out fatty, greasy, calorie dense foods.

2.)What was the hardest for you to change?

-My mindset. I used to think that dieting meant starving. That in order to loose weight, I should always be hungry. I had this all or nothing mentality. So when I first began, w/o mfp, I probably netted around 500 calories a day. When I finally joined mfp, I was set at 1200 but I never met up to that goal and I never ate back my exercise calories. This began to take a toll on me and I started to binge every week because body was starving. So after researching online, I realized that when it comes to loosing weight, I don't have to be hungry. I can eat back when I burn. I do still struggle with this, sometimes eating back calories feels scary to me. But I'm working on it.

-Exercise. I just don't like to move, I'm lazy. But I found couple exercises that work for me and that I thoroughly enjoy so that's been helping me to keep on moving.

-Accepting that not everyone is going to support me on this journey. I don't have a supportive family to lean back on when it comes to my new lifestyle. It hurt at first. I always felt like what I was doing was wrong because they were always telling me to quit. Every time I'd eat something different, they'd start an argument with me about how stupid I was being for changing my eating habits. But I learned to ignore them and just move on.

3.) what is your start weight?

4.)What is your current weight?

5.)What is the best part of your journey?

-Fitting into sizes that I never thought I would :)
    -Feeling beautiful.
    -Having more energy.
    -Looking at photos of myself and not cringing in embarrassment.
    -Realizing that I actually a body shape because before, it was just a big blob haha.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    The first thing I changed was my mindset. Then, I went shopping for healthy foods, went to the gym and created a MFP account.
    Drinking more water. I was only drinking 6 glasses of water a day.
    SW: 224
    CW: 214
    The best part of my journey is exercising. I feel more pumped up every time I do it, and the best part is I can visualize how hot I'll be when I reach my goals.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I started drinking more water

Portion control, and focusing on protein more than carbs/fats.

That my husband and kids have begun eating healthier too, and sooo many other things.
    I can now walk around stores without having to worry about if I'll be able to find somewhere to sit.
    I got on a plane a few months ago and didn't have to ask for a seatbelt extender, and actually fit I the seat.
    I was able to walk around the airport without incident.
    We went to Disney, and I could ride the rides with my kids.
    At Disney, I was able to walk around without incident, and keep up with the kids.
    I'm not winded when I go up the stairs anymore.
    My back doesn't hurt as much.
    My knees and feet don't hurt as much.