Why is MFP adding calories to certain foods?

Options
12346»

Replies

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    One chance to make a first impression.

The OP is just egging everyone on at this point.

I have been using coconut oil as my primary oil for years. I honestly can't remember the last time I bought butter.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Ex: 1 large egg has about 70-75 Calories in it. Why is MFP telling me that 2 fried eggs is 184 calories?!!!

Two eggs are two eggs.

Two fried eggs are two eggs + oil/butter.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You're seriously hanging around this topic just to continue to post non-sense. You must have nothing better to do. I suggest you go work off your aggression on the treadmill.

I'm talking about anh720...

Um, lady I lift heavy.

Also, careful about personal or directed attacks, those are against forum rules too. Specifically "You must have nothing better to do" would earn you one of those fancy strikes that prevents you from posting.

Funny how the terrible meanie isn't actually reporting you for all this fun stuff and trying to help you learn the rules.

I SO TERRIBLE.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    You're seriously hanging around this topic just to continue to post non-sense. You must have nothing better to do. I suggest you go work off your aggression on the treadmill.

I'm talking about anh720...

Protip, you can edit you previous posts instead of quoting yourself.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    One chance to make a first impression.

The OP is just egging everyone on at this point.

I have been using coconut oil as my primary oil for years. I honestly can't remember the last time I bought butter.

Egging everyone on! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Egging everyone on! :heart: :flowerforyou:

5 pages with no gifs. WTH? just WTH?

graphics-eggs-040987.gif
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    36gow.gif
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I use this site to find out the calories of various foods and then create my own custom food on another seperate site.

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/search?q=eggs

The most frustrating thing I find is that most food is logged in grams or ounces or serves when I just want the calories of a single item ie 1 almond or 1 olive or whatever and the above site lets me do that.

And yes, scrambled eggs or fried eggs are going to contain more calories than raw or boiled eggs due to the yummy delicious oil, butter milk and cream used to cook them.

P.S you might find that raw eggs will have different calories to cooked eggs even if only boiled so you have to be specific unless you don't mind logging more calories than you actually eat which I do.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Ex: 1 large egg has about 70-75 Calories in it. Why is MFP telling me that 2 fried eggs is 184 calories?!!! I had two eggs today, fried them with coconut oil spray and salt and pepper. I also tried to enter a different type of egg, so I put in scrambled eggs. It said that 3 were like 1,000 some calories. Someone please tell me what the heck is going on!

Use the value for the raw ingredients and add your cooking oil separately. It's really not that complicated.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    This is why I use the nutritional info on the label for all my food .. except things like fruit. I just go with the database entry for that .. and pick the one that seems most accurate.

I just make a MyFoods entry .. and don't use the database at all. It works cause I eat the same foods over and over.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I just make a MyFoods entry .. and don't use the database at all. It works cause I eat the same foods over and over.

I eat the same foods over and over, because I'm too lazy to look up new foods. Such is the way of the sloth. :yawn:
  • EszterNZ
    Options
    I always use the base ingredient and then add other stuff that I've cooked it with separately. E.g. if I add milk to scrambled eggs, I will add that as its own entry. If i add oil, I put it as a separate entry.

I also try to use the figures given by a food board, for e.g. in New zealand a lot of the foods are listed in the "NZ Food tables" which are accurate..so before I log anything I check the database for those.
  • franzhaydn
    Options
    Because MFP doesnt have the x-ray powers that make it known that you use coconut oil to cook your eggs (in fact if it did, that would be a bit cr@p given that I have never heard of anybody else using coconut oil)

One would assume therefore that the entry assumes using a more normal oil or butter.

I know! How that someone should just add the calories in for oil which everybody uses....

Lies. I use coconut oil exclusively to cook my eggs and most other things.
    Amen! Is there any option besides coconut oil ? Not around my house!
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Because MFP doesnt have the x-ray powers that make it known that you use coconut oil to cook your eggs (in fact if it did, that would be a bit cr@p given that I have never heard of anybody else using coconut oil)

One would assume therefore that the entry assumes using a more normal oil or butter.

I know! How retarded that someone should just add the calories in for oil which everybody uses....

A lot of people use coconut oil thank you...it has healthy fats in it which is why I use it instead of regular butter spray or artificial sprays. The spray adds one calorie. I added it into my food diary of MFP. I add everything that I use.....no need to be rude. This is a support forum.
    I'm using very organic/raw alternatives for cooking. Which is why I use coconut oil and olive oil instead of canola oil or butter spread.

No need to be rude? So you are quite happy brand others as retarded but the moment somebody questions your reasoning in a mildly sarcastic way, it is rude?....

Also, I wasn't calling ANYONE retarded. I calling the fact that the calories were over calculated retarded. I didn't know if it was me miscalculating or the program. Also I didn't know the nutritional information uploaded onto the site was uploaded by the users. My use of the word retarded wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I was just expressing my frustration. So, like I stated before, no need for you to be rude.

You are going to fit in very well around here.:flowerforyou:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    An egg cooked with oil should be entered as "Egg cooked with [type] Oil" and not just "Egg". So OP has a point to an extent. In those cases I usually just correct the values and/or specify when adding to the database.

Well, the entry the OP was complaining about was for 2 eggs, fried, which had 35 to 45 more calories than 2 raw eggs. Maybe "fried" means something different in other English-speaking countries, but in the U.S. it pretty much means cooked in liquid fat by definition. So the entry is the calories for 2 eggs plus a teaspoon of oil, which hardly seems like an excessive amount of fat to fry two eggs, and it doesn't need to be "corrected."
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    An egg cooked with oil should be entered as "Egg cooked with [type] Oil" and not just "Egg". So OP has a point to an extent. In those cases I usually just correct the values and/or specify when adding to the database.

Well, the entry the OP was complaining about was for 2 eggs, fried, which had 35 to 45 more calories than 2 raw eggs. Maybe "fried" means something different in other English-speaking countries, but in the U.S. it pretty much means cooked in liquid fat by definition. So the entry is the calories for 2 eggs plus a teaspoon of oil, which hardly seems like an excessive amount of fat to fry two eggs, and it doesn't need to be "corrected."

Nup fried is pretty much fried no matter what English speaking country you come from. But there are different oils and amounts of oils that people use when frying which Imho means that for accuracy's sake you're better off entering the raw ingredient being fried and then adding the oil separately.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options

I know! How that someone should just add the calories in for oil which everybody uses....

Butter and bacon grease for me :wink:

Lies. I use coconut oil exclusively to cook my eggs and most other things.
    Amen! Is there any option besides coconut oil ? Not around my house!