Things People Say When You've Lost Weight

Options

Replies

• davadoto
    davadoto Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am about half way through my weight loss goal so far and am already getting the "you're wasting away" crap from people (and the usual feeling of shoulders and elbows from mum trying to find some "bones" (way to go before that happens yet!)

Oh, got that one 1 week before my wedding day with a "you were so much prettier when you were chubby" :mad:
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Only just coming up to my second week of this years 'resoultion' already had a few ppl telling me I don't need to lose weight/don't get too skinny etc and I feel like I have to explain myself - I am now 145lb and a uk 12-14. Not HUGE but I don't like how I feel and look. I am not looking to get 'skinny' my first goal is 133lb which is some ppls start weight lol ! I am doing this for myself I don't think I should have to explain myself.
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Them: "You are getting too skinny! What are you doing?"
    Me: "Heroin. Have a good day."

!!! totally using that
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Just tell them you started doing meth.
  • bebeXchyM
    bebeXchyM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Someone was asked to find out how i did it and she replied 'at least I'm healthy'... Gosh! 'sure u are!'
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say things about me being "skinny." Um, I'm still "obese" according to the BMI scale and am still 30+ pounds from a "healthy" weight for my height. I'm definitely not skinny. Have I lost a lot of weight? Do I look a lot better than I did before? Am I healthier and happier now? All yes, but I'm not skinny by any stretch of the imagination.

I usually just respond with thanks, but I still have a long way to go. I don't want anyone to think that I'm perceiving myself as "done." I won't be "done" ever. This is just how I live now.

Yes. One of my coworkers calls me "skinny" now. "Hi Skinny!" And I know she means well and I have lost weight but I am not skinny. I feel like it's like calling a big guy 'Tiny".

I have a friend that calls me "skinny" when she sees me. It is her way of acknowledging that she can see that I am still on my journey and that results are showing. No need to get bent out of shape over whether I am in fact "skinny" I am skinnier than the last time she saw me and she can see the difference. Kind of nice if you ask me. BTW this same friend is the recipient of all my old shrunk out of clothes - I cannot see that they fit her but she would like to have them and I am glad they have a new home. I make no comments on why she wants them and she calls me skinny. No big deals here.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Them: "You are getting too skinny! What are you doing?"
    Me: "Heroin. Have a good day."

probably one of the most ignorant and rudest things ive read on here. how is this funny or likable? it shows a lack of manners and awareness, it would not be funny to joke about losing weight by being anorexic/bulimic/cancerous why is addiction acceptable? especially heroin.

haha. youre funny!
  • jennie5693
    jennie5693 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had my neighbor/close friend tell me that it looks like I took off my fat suit.

That one hurt.
  • kbresso
    kbresso Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    After feeling triumphant when I fit into size 6...

Me: Mom, I just fit into a size 6! I can't believe it!
    Mom: Honey are you okay? You're not anorexic, are you?
  • iMikky
    iMikky Posts: 30
    Options
    Before MFP, I lost like 50 pounds.

Aunt 1: "Looks like you're getting fatter" *stank face* then looks at my legs (?) :indifferent:
    Aunt 2: "Oh (my sister)!! Your hair is getting so long!!" good thing she can't read my mind :devil:
    Aunt 3: "You're really slimming down, you look great" :laugh:
    Aunt 4-6 Doesn't care too much to acknowledge my existence anyway :ohwell:
    Random strangers: Compliments, compliments, compliments :flowerforyou: :blushing: :bigsmile:
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I understand this! I used to work at an abusive workplace, and amongst other things, the owners would harass the employees about what they were eating for lunch *every day*

If someone sat down with grilled veggies and grilled chicken in a tupperware bowl, they'd say things like "thats ALL you're eating? You need to eat more!" Or something like "What are you on a diet? what's wrong with you? Do you have problems with food?"

And I worked at a doctors office where almost everyone was obese (excluding the physicians) and encouraged to be so... And to eat as much chocolate and cake and pastries as they could. It was horrible and everyone I know who has left is so glad to be gone from that insane place...
  • MalloryMelts
    MalloryMelts Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It really bugs me when I am at work or with friends and I get comments like "You're wasting away!" and "You don't need to lose anymore weight, you look good". I know they are trying to be supportive, but it really irritates me. I am only half way to my goal, I am still considered obese, and telling me to stop is the opposite of being helpful.

*rantover*

Anyone else get stupid comments from people trying to "help"?

Just remember people don't like change. They see you changing...in a positive light and they are in the same spot-whatever that is. Humans are jealous by nature. Be flattered. Its all how you look at. When they say "you're wasting away!" ..say "aw-thank you! Smile" ...You will get a different reaction and even probably feel differently towards that comment.

:)

Yep!!!! She's totally right!!!!
  • MalloryMelts
    MalloryMelts Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had my neighbor/close friend tell me that it looks like I took off my fat suit.

That one hurt.

Oooooh! Lemme at em!!!!
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    1. "You've lost weight!"
    It's nice to say I guess, but it's more of a fact than actually a compliment or putt down.

2. "How much weight have you lost?"
    That's sort of a rude question, but I answer it usually.

3. "How did you do it?"
    By not eating a tub of Ben & Jerry's every night???

4. "You look hot now!"
    This one is nice enough, but it also makes me think... wow uh I was hot before too...I just weigh less now?

5. "Are you eating enough?"
    I am shocked by how many people ask this IN PUBLIC and think nothing of it. Also, I'm shocked by the people that ask this WHILE I AM EATING???
  • padisneyfour
    Options
    So many of these sound familiar.... some of my favorites are:
    1. You are shrinking....
    2. what are you doing.....
    3. I am sorry, but are you sick. I thought you had something
    4. Not eating bread anymore
    5. I am sorry but how do you go from where you were to where you are now.....
    6. you have to tell me how much you lost.....
    7. You ate all that how many miles are you going to have to go in the morning....
    8. are you saving that slice lemon for your water later?

I just try to smile :)
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My coworkers convinced me to join them for all-you-can-eat wing night. I scheduled it for a cheat day. No ****s were given, and it silenced my coworkers.

Lunchtime: You need to eat more. come with us to wingnight.
    After dinner: You ate sooo much! Aren't you afraid you'll get fat?
    :frown:
  • airplanes00
    airplanes00 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just this weekend I was talking to my mother in law about how excited I am to get back into working out (I just had a baby and have been cleared to start working out again) I was talking about how happy I was last time I used MFP to get ready for my wedding (which was July of 2012). She tells me and I quote " yeah you were annoying around the wedding, if you wanted to know anything about fitness just ask you" "we were like I get it already". Totally insulting, my feelings were hurt, thinking that every time I left them they were talking about me, its not like I gave them unsolicited advice, I was simply proud of my accomplishments and loving my new heavy lifting body, and I did so much reading and learning over that year (Jan 2011 - July 2012) to help me look my best and feel my best that I learned so much I just wanted to help when I heard wrong information like "muscle weights more then fat". Then she said "o and you were too skinny at your wedding" What I am 5'6" and was 149 at my wedding (a size 6) I thought I looked great and I felt great. Sometimes I think people are just jealous, maybe not so much of the weight lose but just having a passion for something, some people are really just unhappy and you should do your best to avoid that negatively in your life where you can. Your doctor will let you know if you need to stop losing weight until then just keep being healthy.
  • PrintUSMC
    PrintUSMC Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    WHAT PILL DID YOU TAKE?

The reply to this is simple! "The pill called getoffmylazyassandworkforit!" :D

Similiar to this.. My friends ask me all the time how I have so much energy to keep going when we do phyiscal events.
  • courtkizer
    courtkizer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't you think it's just because they don't want to say something rude? What else could they say to flatter and encourage you? Probably quite a few people would take it wrong if I just said "You are doing great!", or just "Amazing"… I think they are just trying to go above and beyond and flatter you.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Yes, people are starting to notice;
    1. You look skinny, how did you do it? From the receptionist at my Chiropractor's office.
    2. Wow, are you losing weight? From my neighbor who I may see maybe every two weeks.
    3. Have you been sick? From my jeweler when I went in to get my wedding rings re-sized.
    4. Don't make yourself sick. From lots of people.
    5. You look awesome. From my dear husband who supports everything I do. :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!