How do I give up diet coke??

Options
1235»

Replies

• mrshudson813
    mrshudson813 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey. I tried cutting back but it didn't work. I had to quit all together.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Firstly I recommend that you DO give up diet coke ASAP. Its not easy, so for all those know just said stop drinking it you are idiots. This is a serious addiction.....not something to be flippant about.
    I have been addicted to diet coke for 25 years......I have been gaining weight for 25 years. In the last 3 years I have experienced some very strange health issues....lots of headaches, dizziness, a general fogginess, slurred speech, forgetfulness, unable to finish sentences and small seizures....more recently numbness in my arms, hands, legs and feet......I put a lot of this down to the beginning of menopause....THEN about six weeks ago I experienced a symptom I just could not ignore. When I woke up in the night I could not open my right eye.....no residue...not infection in that eye whatsoever....my brain would send the command to open eyes...left would respond, and open....right eye would not...I thought I was having a stroke....I did all the normal stroke checks and it was apparent that this was not a stroke....it happened every night from then on...sometimes once a night...up to three times a night. On the fifth day I am considering going to a neurologist....but googled this symptom first....found out through a lot of reading that this could be a side effect of aspartame poisoning...this was the evidence I needed....I HAD to go cold turkey to save myself.....After just 3 weeks of giving up diet coke these symptoms vanished....headaches, fogginess, forgetfulness, small seizures, slurred speech, all numbness...I still have difficulty finishing sentences...but the frequency has changed. The eye incident has happened just 3 times in three weeks and I am hoping that these symptoms also subside as the aspartame that is stored in my fat slowly diminishes. I recognize that I have a long journey ahead...but I AM LOSING WEIGHT.....but advised to not lose it too quickly as the aspartame will be released into my system too quickly.....If you have gained weight since being addicted to coke...give it up...use other caffeine drinks like tea and coffee..(no artificial sweeteners though!!!) I hope this helps you.....please change your life and give up diet coke and anything with aspartame ...where ever it is hiding.....

Nice wakes up with stroke symptoms, uses google instead of going to a doctor after several weeks and blames it on aspartame.

Just realized I'm commenting on an old thread :ohwell:

Yes, but the post you quoted was recent. I'm also stunned at the notion of using google instead of a neurologist. Maybe their mental capacity was impaired by the 'stroke' or whatever it was?
  • miavitabellla
    Options
    I personally cannot stand the taste of Diet Coke, so that was easy. lol just kidding. Nah, I used to drink regular Classic Coke and that would be ALL I would drink. I'd wake up in the morning, I'd have a Coke. At every meal, I'd have a Coke. Whenever I was thirsty, I'd have a Coke. If I was eating at a restaurant, I'd have a Coke. If I woke up in the middle of the night, I'd have a Coke. Yeah, its bad. The only thing that has stopped me from drinking Coke is drinking more water. The more water I drink the less I want Coke. I don't even crave it anymore and I haven't been on my new "diet" for that long. The only exception is when I eat popcorn as a snack then I will have a Coke, that is my treat to myself, which doesn't happen often now. The thought of having popcorn and water disgusts me. lol When I do have a Coke I never finish it. I will drink half or less of what I have whether its in a can, glass, or paper cup. I will force myself to immediately pour the rest of it down the drain so I will not drink it. This is working for me so far. I don't know if this helps or not.
  • Sarah12113
    Options
    For all of those that take my warnings seriously.....please read this

http://www.naturalnews.com/008952.html

For all those people that have made silly and dismissive comments I guess the same happened to people that made the link between tobacco and lung cancer......

If you want to research this stuff the scientific results have been made public.....this is just my warning for you that giving up diet coke may help you stay alive and be healthier.....it has worked for me....no more seizures.....so researching this online helped!

It has also been proved that aspartame is addictive and very hard to give up
    I can provide the link.....to scientific research.....
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to give it up? If it's diet it isn't going to help your weight loss and if you are used to the caffeine and you want to quit then you probably want to wean off or go through a couple days of banging headaches.

because those artificial sweeteners in diet soda are death in a can, that's why!

I beg your pardon??...any research to back up that statement??
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Classic First World Problem.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I did it gradually. I stopped buying it for drinking at home (that saves a lot of money). I only ordered it when I went out to eat. After a while, I started ordering water or hot tea. It took a few months but I'm off all sodas completely. I buy items to flavor my water like powdered Propel or Crystal Light.
  • Sarah12113
    Options
    Chatogal you need to click on these links and read the research out there.....aspartame is the single worse thing out there for weight loss and for your health generally.....google aspartame disease......and good luck
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Former Diet Mt. Dew addict here! I just quit cold turkey. I tried weaning myself off of them slowly, but it never worked for me. I just stopped buying them. After about 4 days of feeling like absolute crap, I was fine.

Also, if you find that you still crave the carbonation, sparkling waters are perfect.

Annnnnnnnd I just realized this was posted several months ago. I hope the OP has conquered her addiction by now.
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey is the only way to do it. Find some naturally sweetened drinks that you like if you get tired of plain water all the time. I drink a bottle or two of vitamin water zero (sweetened with stevia) every day. Also, drink lots of water and keep some Tylenol or aspirin on hand in case you get headaches from caffeine withdrawal. Exercise helps get rid of headaches, I think probably because it gets blood flowing to the brain, but I'll admit that it's hard to force yourself to do it when your head is pounding.

Diet drinks make people crave carbs and sweets.
  • lmct27
    lmct27 Posts: 9
    Options
    I found switching to carbonated water helped a lot. I know it's still not the best, but I was amazed at how much better I felt from doing that alone. If you still crave a sweet taste add a splash of sugar free cordial. Plus when I get a hunger pang, when I'm just being greedy and not actually hungry, the fizzy water helps keeps my hunger at bay.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried to quit altogether, but have cut way way down, from several a day to perhaps 3 per week, as a special treat. What's been a big help to me are the individual bottles of Perrier--two cups per bottle, I think--that I buy by the case at Costco. The price comes to something like 60 cents a bottle that way, which isn't too bad. I add various things..lemon and lime are popular, but I also like cucumber slices and/or strawberries. Hope this helps.