Junk food is HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE I tell you..

Options
Junk food such as chips, soda, candy, chocolate, ect. ARE HORRIBLE! But so delicious ;)

I used OVER my amount of calories by just eating junk food today & it's only 3 a'clock!
Chocolate chip cookies from mcdonalds (3 for a $1 ;) .. )
Hot fudge sundae from mcdonalds
classic potato chips all natural (3/4 of the bag. small size.)
munchies cheese crackers (mini size)

It sounds like a lot but to me, that's nothing. Goes right through me. Let's just call this my.... cheat day! Fat day! Lazy day! Pig day! Lol

My question? What's your favorite pick of junk food? Were you able to LET IT GO? What's your healthy alternatives?

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Sigh.... here we go again.

OP, I don't label food 'good' or 'bad' or call any food 'junk'. I eat the foods I enjoy, keep an eye on portion sizes, stay within my alotted calories and I'm healthy, happy and eating in a way that will be sustainable for me, for the next 40+ years. That's why I have been successful at this whole thing, and will continue to be so.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The only kind of food I'd label junk is cauliflower.
  • nienie2014
    Options

OP, I don't label food 'good' or 'bad' or call any food 'junk'. I eat the foods I enjoy, keep an eye on portion sizes, stay within my alotted calories and I'm healthy, happy and eating in a way that will be sustainable for me, for the next 40+ years. That's why I have been successful at this whole thing, and will continue to be so.

Yes,.I agree. I mean I still call it "Junk food" but I know that if I was portioning the food I'd be able to eat it & lose weight. :)
    Guess today is on "off" day. :)
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Then I guess they were not asking you. Mine is chocolate, beer and hot wings!!!!
  • nienie2014
    Options

Then I guess they were not asking you. Mine is chocolate, beer and hot wings!!!!

Ohh yes. Lol. Chocolate is my NUMBER ONE. Macaroni and cheese is a must & chicken nuggets. Lol
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options

I agree that banning foods entirely and treating them like they should never be touched is a good way to develop a bad relationship with food, but clearly OP isn't greatly restricting herself. Calling food junk is not the same as saying, "I'm never going to eat a candy bar again because candy is BAD and EVIL!" Junk food is junk because nutritionally it doesn't offer much.

I like cake and chocolate (bonus points for chocolate cake). Imma eat them cause they're delicious, but I'm under no delusions... they're JUNK. Nutritionally, they're a wasteland :D
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a horrible junk food mistake I made yesterday when buying a snack. I accidently bought organic pita chips instead of kettle fried potato chips. :cry:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

And green beans.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I am all for including the things you like in to your diet and not labeling foods as "good" or "bad".....

.....but that is just a bad diet. To be successful and include "junk" you need to have a nutritionally balanced diet- sooooooo how about eating some meat, vegetables, eggs, bread, fruit and having like one thing off this list a day? Even if it's a cheat day, you need protein, fiber, vitamins- not ALL these things in one day.

I would not feel good for like 2 or 3 days after a day like this. Not worth it, IMO.

(and not because the foods themselves are bad, but because it's so unbalanced)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up anything. Junk makes me think of trash. I wouldn't eat trash. I eat food. Foods that I portion into my day. My focus isn't on demonize food but finding balance between nutrient dense foods and foods that still contain nutrients but maybe not as much as others.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I agree that banning foods entirely and treating them like they should never be touched is a good way to develop a bad relationship with food, but clearly OP isn't greatly restricting herself. Calling food junk is not the same as saying, "I'm never going to eat a candy bar again because candy is BAD and EVIL!" Junk food is junk because nutritionally it doesn't offer much.

I like cake and chocolate (bonus points for chocolate cake). Imma eat them cause they're delicious, but I'm under no delusions... they're JUNK. Nutritionally, they're a wasteland :D

On the contrary, I find chocolate a great way to fill my fats macro. Nomnomnom...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Cauliflower is delicious as a vegetable called "cauliflower". I like it raw in salads and drizzled w/ olive oil, topped w/ parmesan cheese, and roasted...

However, as a substitute for more delicious foods, I see your point.

OP,

Is it possible that you binged and made poor food choices today because your daily calorie deficit is too high? Might be something worth considering. Many people have found that by reducing their deficit (aka, eating more food daily), they don't have days like this. (Of course, other people have found that having a planned or unplanned cheat day occasionally helps keep them on track.) Best of luck, whatever you decide.

ETA: Also, how were your macros for the day? Did you hit your protein minimum? Fat minimum?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I used to eat so much chocolate, like 2-3 bars a day, but now I rarely have it and when I do it tastes too sweet! I never thought I'd feel this way about chocolate, I can take it or leave it.

Now beer is a different story, I still love to drink that : )
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

And green beans.

May I add okra?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Junk food such as chips, soda, candy, chocolate, ect. ARE HORRIBLE! But so delicious ;)

I used OVER my amount of calories by just eating junk food today & it's only 3 a'clock!

i enjoy "junk food" almost daily and yet.....i stay within my allowances (most of the time)

your fault.

ETA: i replaced "junk food" with less "junk food". works wonders.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

And green beans.
    It could be that you only THINK you hate green beans. I had loathed them all my life (I'm 43) because I'd only had the mushy limp canned variety. Tried some fresh steamed ones at a friend's house one day last year with good seasoning and, voila, I now actually CHOOSE to eat them. I even like the frozen ones since they still have that crispness. Just sayin'..
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

And green beans.

May I add okra?

YUCK okra. I'll throw eggplant in here, too.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

And green beans.

May I add okra?

We are no longer friends.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

And green beans.

May I add okra?

We are no longer friends.

Explain how to make palatable so that we may remain so?! Would dipping chocolate be plausible?
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a horrible junk food mistake I made yesterday when buying a snack. I accidently bought organic pita chips instead of kettle fried potato chips. :cry:

Man, I hate when that happens...