How do you burn 1,000 Cals in 1hr of Exercise

Options
14567810»

Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    At my weight it would be close to impossible.

Instead of focusing on how many hours you are burning in an hour, why not focus on finding an exercise program that you enjoy and will help you reach your goals?
  • EMMpress99
    Options
    Zumba?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Boy, don't take that formula over to the FitBit Group. They will eat you alive.
    There are more people here stalling on weight loss using FitBits than any other single device....
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I know its possible, does anyone out there burn 1,000 calories in an hour if so How? I usually burned this by swimming vigourously for an hour but now that I got swimmers shoulder I need to find an alternative.

Run.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options

No one who can run a 10K in 27 minutes weighs 150lbs.

Not really the point, I know, but just sayin' :wink:

According to Google, Mo Farah weighs 143 pounds and he's broken 27 minutes.
    I've certainly seen men taller than him run that fast.
    I'm not sure what you're sayin'.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Be morbidly obese, completely out of shape, do HIIT and trust MFP's numbers. You'll be sure to hit 1,000 and if you don't then just log some housecleaning to go with it.

You may have this backwards. At 200 pounds, I am not "morbidly obese," but I do have the fitness to run nearly 8 miles in an hour, which should burn around 1000 calories. Even a nice 6 mile jog (54-57 minutes) should get me at least 750.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    With running it is more than possible. On Tuesday I burned 821 calories from running 10k in just outside 40 minutes, so pro-rata, I would have been on for 1,200 in an hour. When I actually run for an hour, I normally end up losing around 1,000-1,100.
  • Zumba - I burn 850cals in an hour, 1,000++ in 75 min
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    According to my heart rate monitor, an hour of (extreme) Zumba when I push myself very hard burns consistently 1000 calories. This being said, not just any Zumba class does this for me. There is one instructor in my area that is amazing, and pushes us hard with no breaks between songs. I'm able to maintain in this class but it's tough.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/exercise/ART-20050999

I like the table in this article. It doesn't jibe with the Runners World formulas for walking/running, though. But it jibes with my Fitbit better and I've lost a lot of weight with those numbers in the past so I trust them. Fitbit gives me around 260 net calories an hour for walking. The Runners World net formula around half that.
  • VDR928
    VDR928 Posts: 6
    Options
    I think food (less of it and more quality) is the key to weight loss. Muscles and heart need exercise for health, but as far as weight loss... cut out sugar, junk, ALL processed foods, cook at home and the weight will come off! :) I exercise (all types) but only for health, not weight loss! Calories in and calories out is OUT. :) It never worked.... People are different and lose all different ways.
  • purch1977
    purch1977 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I can Knock out over 1000 calories in around 40 minutes cycling on a turbo trainer!
  • marymosescu
    marymosescu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Work hard and it will happen!
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Maybe biking for 80-90 minutes?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/exercise/ART-20050999

I like the table in this article. It doesn't jibe with the Runners World formulas for walking/running, though. But it jibes with my Fitbit better and I've lost a lot of weight with those numbers in the past so I trust them. Fitbit gives me around 260 net calories an hour for walking. The Runners World net formula around half that.

The problem with that table is that the source is the Compendium of Physical Activities. This is an amalgamation of estimated energy expenditures from a variety of sources. The quality of those sources varies widely. It is impossible for those who assemble the Compendium to verify the accuracy of the entries, so it is definitely a case of caveat emptor. I look at the Compendium kind of like the BMI tables---useful as a general estimate for large groups, not very good for individuals.
  • alishaq14
    alishaq14 Posts: 16
    Options
    Zumba!! Just did it today for first time and for me it burns about 1000 an hour!
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    the first time i did the pure cardio + cardio abs workout of insanity i burnt 784 in about 56 mins.

there was also a couple of minutes break between dvds and the ab component (about 15 mins) was not high intensity at all

there are hour long workouts to insanity which ive not yet started (another week or so) and I'm quite certain I would burn 1000 cals in that hour.

i reckon theyd be some insanity graduates that would say the same thing.

I got close to 1000 going all out on some of the month 2 insanity tapes. But then you fall over.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Riding the bike...until lactic acid pours out of you.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I got an HRM and I can't believe the difference in calorie burns... It made me sad but at least I know I have to push harder.