Who Eats Theyre Exercise Calories?

Options

Replies

• jko90s
    jko90s Posts: 25
    Options
    Me, at least 50 usually a day. MFP has me set at 1200, and I'm just too hungry, bordering on shaky and weak if I dont.

1200 seems way too low
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    The girl gets flack for posting a question that already exists on forums, yet we have multitudes of idiot posts like "would you date the poster above you?" and "Drop a letter, add a letter!" and "Like, is my boyfriend cheating on me or whatever? What do you think?"

come on.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I agree. I stopped using the forum years ago because I saw the personalities on this site change and it was no longer supportive. This is the first topic I clicked on thinking I would give some advice, give it another chance. Thank you for further reassuring me that going to the forums is still a bad idea. I will continue to log on just to calculate calories. Smh sad....:( it used to be such an awesome support system.
  • jko90s
    jko90s Posts: 25
    Options
    Should you or shouldn't you?

Who eats they're exercise calories and what are your weight loss results?

Thanks x

You should definitely eat your exercise calories and depending on your exercise you will need carbohydrates to replenish glycogen and protein to maintain/repair the muscles. As long as at the end of the day you are at a deficit you will lose weight

P.s. Be conservative when estimating calories burnt using exercise
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Each person is different, so some members eat them all back, some only some, some none. For me, I found if I didn't eat any back, then I didn't lose any weight (it was too low on calories for me). If I ate them ALL back, then I gained (too much). But I found if I only ate back my cardio, not weights or martial art workouts, then I lost. So I enter my cardio calories whenever I do them, but everything else I log at the end of the day, so it doesn't get figured into my daily cals. So try it whatever way you want, then adjust from there. But give it at least a week or two to see how each method works for you.
  • EuropanMermaid
    Options
    I usually eat my exercise calories.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I work out so that I can eat more and still be under in calories. :wink:
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    in for the snark..........

and to keep from being called mean or grouchy :::rolls eyes::: OP - I eat back about half my exercise calories because it works for me. find what works for you.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    1patientbear are you really always this grouchy or just having a off day ?

How was that grouchy?? I just gave you an honest suggestion as to where to find multiple answers to your question.

To be fair, you weren't *just* giving an honest suggestion. You were also being snarky to the other poster in a subsequent reply. That combined with the advice you did give leaves a certain impression. I happen to enjoy a bit of snark, so it didn't bother me, but I wouldn't say your intentions read as completely helpful either.

Personally, I'd like to see that Search option be much more prominent.

Well, I was actually giving the OP an honest suggestion and my intentions were completely helpful there. The snark for the other one...well, I enjoy a bit of snark myself. And snarky does not equal incorrect.
  • EuropanMermaid
    Options

How was that grouchy?? I just gave you an honest suggestion as to where to find multiple answers to your question.

You are RUDE. This is supposed to be a place for encouragement- not for belittling and sarcasm.
  • Tyke2806
    Options
    Isn't the answer: eat them if you don't want to lose weight, don't eat them if you do?

If you want to lose a pound a week you need to be 3500 calories under your goal per week, etc etc.

It's pretty straightforward surely!
  • lysslax
    lysslax Posts: 64
    Options
    Since my calorie target is at 1210 right now, I definitely eat back the workout calories. I TRY to only eat back 50-75% as others have mentioned (mostly because I believe exercise calories are easily overestimated).

However, some days I net around 500 calories, some days I net right at 1210, and occasionally I'll net higher. It all seems to even out fairly well for me. Do what your body is telling you!! And if you feel hungry and are close to your calorie limit - veggies seem to be the lowest calorie, fairly filling option for me.

Hope this helps!! Good luck!!

23724452.png
  • deniseeverley
    Options
    I am also on 1200 a day. I find that if I eat a small bit of protein in the am I do not get weak or shaky. And the more I exercise, the less weak and tired I become. Hope this helps.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

You are RUDE. This is supposed to be a place for encouragement- not for belittling and sarcasm.

How is showing someone where to find the search button RUDE? I WAS trying to encourage her by helping her find a place where answers to her questions exist. Good grief people. Overreact much??
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I eat 2300 + exercise cals. Just sayin.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I do and I enjoy every single one too :drinker:
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

To be fair, you weren't *just* giving an honest suggestion. You were also being snarky to the other poster in a subsequent reply. That combined with the advice you did give leaves a certain impression. I happen to enjoy a bit of snark, so it didn't bother me, but I wouldn't say your intentions read as completely helpful either.

Personally, I'd like to see that Search option be much more prominent.

Well, I was actually giving the OP an honest suggestion and my intentions were completely helpful there. The snark for the other one...well, I enjoy a bit of snark myself. And snarky does not equal incorrect.

I'm glad your intentions were helpful. Obviously, your intentions didn't come across in the communication or it wouldn't be a subject for discussion. Frequently this kind of conversation boils down to two different schools of thought: One is that the intentions of the sender are mostly irrelevant, and that the interpretation of the receiver is primary. The other school of thought is basically the opposite seems to be something along the lines of, "people should just stop being offended by what other people do."

The two aren't exactly compatible.

And you're right. Snarky doesn't make someone incorrect. Thankfully, I'm not sure anyone accused you of being incorrect. I think perhaps the underlying theme in any critique of your response is that being correct isn't always the most important part of the message.

EDIT: Again, I absolutely agree that people should just Search before posting. I actually find it fairly annoying when they don't. I usually find "innocent requests for suggestions" when the poster clearly hasn't tried to find the answer themselves to be a little rude, in much the same way that people are calling you out for being rude. I suppose it all balances out.
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have been eating back my work out calories since I started. Now I did have to pay attention to my carbs and sugar. I usually stay below my target but was exceeding my carbs and sugar. That caused me to hit a platueau and I was no longer losing weight. Since I started watching those and staying under my target, the weight just keeps coming off. I always eat back my calories and I am losing about 1 to 1.5lbs a week.
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    rhileyschubbygranny Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    the non-fat greek yogart with 2 T. of Smuckers Fat Free Caramel Sauce stirred into it is good also!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I have been eating back my work out calories since I started. Now I did have to pay attention to my carbs and sugar. I usually stay below my target but was exceeding my carbs and sugar. That caused me to hit a platueau and I was no longer losing weight. Since I started watching those and staying under my target, the weight just keeps coming off. I always eat back my calories and I am losing about 1 to 1.5lbs a week.

Are you using the TDEE method or what MFP suggests?

ETA: Nevermind. Workout calories are already figured into TDEE, so you're eating them back anyway without logging the exercise.