LADIES, best razor for bikini area

Options

Replies

• Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Have not seen it mentioned yet, but laser hair removal is permanent. Cost more, there is a couple of treatments involved but lasts years and years and years.

Just one old man's opinion......
  • LaurDavies
    LaurDavies Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Wax

ok so really silly question. How well does this work? Does it last a long longer, do you do it yourself or at a salon and how often does it stay smooth?

It does last longer, but I would not recommend doing it yourself. The first time you have it done it hurts like a sumb!itch and it has to be done in a way that the root is pulled. If not, the hair breaks at the surface and there is greater potential for ingrowns. In the beginning, you have to get it done more frequently because of the hair growth cycle. After that, most people go 6-8 weeks.

^All of this.

Don't do it yourself, get it done at a salon. Will hurt more at the beginning but if you persevere it's so worth it. The salon I visited shut, and after unfortunate bad experiences with a couple of other places I've taken to shaving again until I muster up the courage to try somewhere else - a stupid move that I regret!

If you're adamant about sticking to razors, then any decent three/four blade razor will get good results if you're using the right products during/after shaving. I find men's gillette razors to be particularly good, but venus with moisturing strips are good as well.

I do like to go against the grain to get a closer shave, but as I have sensitive skin I can only go over each area once (so get it right first time!) and leave it quite a few days in between. I also use sudocrem immediately after and it stops me getting any sort of rash or irritation and leaves everything silky smooth!

I also use hair conditioner rather than shaving foam as I actually find it better.

But obviously as it's shaving it's only soft for a couple days before slight stubble creeps in. Usually have to shave every three/four days, but if I was only doing bikini line I could probably leave it longer. Every so often I try to give it as long a break as possible (if nobody's going to see it) as it makes the next shave super smooth!
  • LaurDavies
    LaurDavies Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Have not seen it mentioned yet, but laser hair removal is permanent. Cost more, there is a couple of treatments involved but lasts years and years and years.

Just one old man's opinion......

This also, although it only works for certain skin/hair types so you'd have to check if you were amongst those - if you're interested then check out Groupon as they tend to have offers for such things every so often.
  • flab2fit_30
    Options
    baby oil!!! I have had irriation issues with everything else except johnsons baby oil.
  • teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ok i just found a groupon for $32 which includes three bikini waxes, i'm going to give that a shot. It looks like they're regularly $25 each so this is an awesome deal!!

Will see how this works, i may never go back to shaving!! :-) here's hoping

Thanks gals, and silly boys :-P

Keep in mind a "bikini wax" is just the edges of your pubic area that, if furry, would show along the edges of a bathing suit bottom. That does not cover the entire cooch. A "brazillian wax" takes care of all the nooks and crannies, *kitten* and all. I just had my first Brazilian done and although the pain was severe during, I love love love the results. Definitely worth 20 minutes of agony.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Ok i just found a groupon for $32 which includes three bikini waxes, i'm going to give that a shot. It looks like they're regularly $25 each so this is an awesome deal!!

Keep in mind a "bikini wax" is just the edges of your pubic area that, if furry, would show along the edges of a bathing suit bottom. That does not cover the entire cooch. A "brazillian wax" takes care of all the nooks and crannies, *kitten* and all. I just had my first Brazilian done and although the pain was severe during, I love love love the results. Definitely worth 20 minutes of agony.

The first is the worst. You're golden from now on! :drinker:
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I always make sure it's a 4 blade razor. I typically use Venus Quattro, but the blades can get expensive and they get dull after only a few uses. So for money's sake I have actually been using one of my boyfriend's 4-blade disposable razors that come in packs of like 10 I think. I've only used it twice, but it has been working really really well! I fight ingrown hairs a lot and I haven't had any at all since switching.

Waxing is good, too. But definitely have it done professionally. I have an at-home wax kit for my eyebrows and decided to give it a shot on my own and it's just bad news...don't do it lol.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Look up DORCO razors.. they are 1/4 of the cost of store brand razors and same quality as Venus, if not better (longer lasting). You can only buy them online, but a lot of times you get free shipping and they sometimes randomly send out new razors and cartridges for FREE just because they appreciate your business. For about $12 you can get a sample of several style so you can see what you prefer. I have gotten my husband these too and we no longer buy the ones at the store.

I use a 7-blade for my legs and 4-blade for bikini area.

Edit to say that the website is http://www.dorcousa.com/. Pretty much everything is on sale -- I just looked it up.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Even just thinking about a stranger ripping out my body hair hurts. Ouch.

I bet it hurts the same as all those piercings.
    Except a piercing last a few seconds and is only done once.. much unlike ripping out hair every month or so. I don't think I could do it.

It is not as bad as it sounds. It hurts, but not like the "40 year old virgin" hurt. LOL. It only takes minutes and the results are great.
  • heymirth
    heymirth Posts: 448
    Options
    I wouldn't know. They don't call me Pres Bush for nothing :wink:

That Right. Go for the Jackie O look
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    When i want hair trimmed i just let our baby rip it out, he gets so much fun out of it.:laugh:
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've been waxing for years...lasts about 4-5 weeks and I rarely get ingrown hairs. It beats the hell outta shaving and having it last a day with red, irritated shaving bumps. And bonus: less hair grows back and it's not stubbly when it does.

ETA: i take 4 ibuprofen about an hour before each session.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    NONE! Sugaring!
  • toy_
    toy_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I came here to say "wax", but I see many people beat me to it.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    There is a new product I tried called Hot Legs. They sell it at Walgreens and Duane Reade. It's a gel type wax and does not hurt (that much at least much less than a bikini wax at the salon or spa) and you can do it yourself. The hair takes weeks to grow back and you dont get that stubble.
  • toy_
    toy_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options

If you have European Wax Center locally, pleeease go there. I was getting my brazilians from a stand alone wax lady and it hurt like hell. I went to EWC and even the "bad area" strips did not hurt at all. They have magic fingers, I swear it.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    NONE! Sugaring!

Do you have a secret technique? I tried to sugar once and just ended up with wasted ingredients and making a mess.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend going to a nice place and getting waxed. If you wind up not liking it for some reason, dry shaving is awesome. I know it sounds crazy, but you have to be COMPLETELY dry. Like get spread eagle under a ceiling fan for awhile to make sure things are like a desert down there. Then you cover your nether bits with baby powder (being sure not to get any inside). Break out a brand new razor and go to town. You blow on the razor to get the hair out and move to a new spot. It's the closest shave I've ever had with no irritation, and I go against the grain b/c I'm not going through the trouble of shaving to start out with stubble. I don't have a favorite razor but I always use one with 3 or 4 blades. You don't have to use a new razor every time but you do have to replace them more often if you don't want to get irritated. I'll always prefer waxing but when I can't do it, dry shaving is great.

ETA: if anyone wants to give this a go, be sure to moisturize really well afterward. I use coconut oil.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    When i want hair trimmed i just let our baby rip it out, he gets so much fun out of it.:laugh:

this is a little disturbing...
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    NONE! Sugaring!

Do you have a secret technique? I tried to sugar once and just ended up with wasted ingredients and making a mess.

Yes, getting it professionally done!