Do you leave your kids alone in the car?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Both Factors are dangerous - Strangers and Dangers of a car. Period. Kids think they "know everything" and they don't. Period.

I agree about considering both factors... it just worries me that somewhere, one day, a very sensible, obedient 8 year old will stay in the car because mummy told her to, even when the car's on fire or someone's just driven into it, and mummy's not back yet.
    That is not a sensible or intelligent 8-year-old and the parents failed that kid.

yes, the parents failed the kid. My whole point is that there are a lot of parents out there who only think about stranger danger, and not the other potential dangers. So I'm not sure what your point is re the parents failing the kid.... because that's exactly what my point is.... the parents failed the kid because they only considered stranger danger and not the other things that could potentially go wrong....
    My point is that if your kid is so afraid of disobeying you or is too stupid to realize that a car on fire is a danger to his or her life, you did something EXTREMELY WRONG as a parent and you have bigger issues than whether you leave your child alone in a car.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Simply teaching your kid to stay in the car with the doors locked and only open the door to a parent is not sufficient to keep them safe in a car alone, especially on a busy road or a very hot or cold day.

And this is where that little thing called common sense comes into play.

Every time I ever was left in a car was in a parking lot and obviously my parents and friends' parents had the sense to not leave us on freezing cold or super hot days. Geesh.

I personally wouldn't leave an infant or toddler in a car. I do think that's far too young. And I probably wouldn't leave a single child younger than probably 8-10 in a car (multiple children is different). But this blanket "no kids should ever be left alone in a car" thing is silly paranoia.

I didn't say "no kid left alone ever" - I listed a bunch of factors that parents frequently fail to think about before leaving kids alone in cars. If the child's mature enough to handle all the potential situations, then yes. But huge numbers of parents don't think about those things and a small number of kids end up harmed or dead because of it, and if this discussion is about whether and in what circumstances it's okay to leave a kid alone in a car, then yes I should mention things parents need to take into consideration.

My main point in that post was that people only think about stranger danger and not other factors.
    Who are these people? I've been a parent for nearly 20 years and I was a child. Every time the discussion of kids in cars has ever come up, people have talked about things other than strangers abducting the children. And we have all instructed our children on the "do not touch" thing and know better than to leave them to freeze or boil to death.

And I hope that my child is smart enough that I don't have to specifcally address, "Get out if the car catches on fire."
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Also one time I left my kids in the car and it got towed. I couldn't afford to get it out of the impound.

I wonder what happened to them.... I'll always remember you Jermey and Simon.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Simply teaching your kid to stay in the car with the doors locked and only open the door to a parent is not sufficient to keep them safe in a car alone, especially on a busy road or a very hot or cold day.

And this is where that little thing called common sense comes into play.

Every time I ever was left in a car was in a parking lot and obviously my parents and friends' parents had the sense to not leave us on freezing cold or super hot days. Geesh.

I personally wouldn't leave an infant or toddler in a car. I do think that's far too young. And I probably wouldn't leave a single child younger than probably 8-10 in a car (multiple children is different). But this blanket "no kids should ever be left alone in a car" thing is silly paranoia.

I didn't say "no kid left alone ever" - I listed a bunch of factors that parents frequently fail to think about before leaving kids alone in cars. If the child's mature enough to handle all the potential situations, then yes. But huge numbers of parents don't think about those things and a small number of kids end up harmed or dead because of it, and if this discussion is about whether and in what circumstances it's okay to leave a kid alone in a car, then yes I should mention things parents need to take into consideration.

My main point in that post was that people only think about stranger danger and not other factors.
    Who are these people? I've been a parent for nearly 20 years and I was a child. Every time the discussion of kids in cars has ever come up, people have talked about things other than strangers abducting the children. And we have all instructed our children on the "do not touch" thing and know better than to leave them to freeze or boil to death.

And I hope that my child is smart enough that I don't have to specifcally address, "Get out if the car catches on fire."

What about smash and grabs?
    Car Jackers?
    Teenage jack offs who think it's funny to scare kids alone in a car for fun
    off chance there is an accident and your car gets hit in the parking lot or on a street?
    What about if the kids are scared but don't want to say anything?
    What if you get delayed by a long line? a chatty clerk? god forbid a robbery in the store and you are stuck in there kids are outside not knowin what is going on
    What if you slip, hit your head get knocked out... no one knows you have kids in a car....

Never mind abductions....

Yes these are all what ifs and might never happen but they could and this is why it is important as the "grown up" to do some forward thinking....
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Nope I wouldnt you never know what could happen.
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Also one time I left my kids in the car and it got towed. I couldn't afford to get it out of the impound.

I just bought a car that already had kids in it..... they might belong to you then
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My 13 year old stays in the car all the time. If I pick her up from a school event and have to run to the grocery store she stays in the car with the door locked and reads. I too, have automatic start so I will leave it running for her but take the keys with me. You can't take the car out of gear or move it when it is in that mode...My 7 year old and 9month old..not a chance.
  • MonicaA2013
    MonicaA2013 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    When i was raising my kids i did leave them in the car if i could see them the whole time. With the car locked.NEVER on a hot day. Although i lived in a small community at the time. If i needed to be in the store for more than a minute though they went with me. Sleeping or not. All 3 of my kids survived and 2 of them have their own kids now. When you decide to leave a child in a car unattended you need to consider the situation. These days i am not so sure i would do the same thing i did back then though. But again that would depend on their age and the location i guess.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do it all the time. In fact, they aren't even my kids. I take them from the cars they are in and switch them around. It's quite a fun game as well. Baby seats can be a bit cumbersome, but it makes it more enjoyable.

You get bonus points if you keep the kids quiet whilst you're doing it as well.

So you play an extreme version of Chinese Fire Drill? Badass.....
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've seen people leave children in cars, dogs, and even grandmas/grandpas. The old people and dogs were more depressed looking. I wanted to let them out so they can be free.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids right now, but honestly I cannot see myself as someone who would leave them alone in a car. I don't even leave my dogs in the car alone, no matter how long I'd be gone. I have far too active an imagination.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Never ever. I have a 2 and 4 year old and never leave them on their own in the car, even to run in and pay for petrol for example. I try to do things like fill up my car when I'm on my own, or have my husband in the car too. You just don't know what can happen in 5 minutes, it just isn't worth it.
  • thatgorsuchkid
    Options
    Only if it's a bar that doesn't allow children.

That seriously made my day. That is the funniest comment I have seen on this site! lol.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I don't even leave my wife in the car alone, if it is going to be out of my sightline. Too many knuckleheads out there. Too many stories of carjackings.
  • LordOberon
    LordOberon Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I just bought a car that already had kids in it..... they might belong to you then

We have the solution! Shut the thread down.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I leave my kids in the car alone all the time. :happy:
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    Only when they are my DD.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've seen people leave children in cars, dogs, and even grandmas/grandpas. The old people and dogs were more depressed looking. I wanted to let them out so they can be free.

LOL I always think the same thing when I see that!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Both Factors are dangerous - Strangers and Dangers of a car. Period. Kids think they "know everything" and they don't. Period.

I agree about considering both factors... it just worries me that somewhere, one day, a very sensible, obedient 8 year old will stay in the car because mummy told her to, even when the car's on fire or someone's just driven into it, and mummy's not back yet.
    That is not a sensible or intelligent 8-year-old and the parents failed that kid.

yes, the parents failed the kid. My whole point is that there are a lot of parents out there who only think about stranger danger, and not the other potential dangers. So I'm not sure what your point is re the parents failing the kid.... because that's exactly what my point is.... the parents failed the kid because they only considered stranger danger and not the other things that could potentially go wrong....
    My point is that if your kid is so afraid of disobeying you or is too stupid to realize that a car on fire is a danger to his or her life, you did something EXTREMELY WRONG as a parent and you have bigger issues than whether you leave your child alone in a car.

and what about the child that freezes in fear are they too stupid too.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I let her sit in a running, locked car, parked directly in front of the 7-11 while I ran in and got milk at the age of 13, because she was holding the puppy for possibly 2 minutes at max. First and only time.