Tips for a first date? (guys only..)

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    One last "Guy" tip for you... NEVER go on a date with a loaded weapon... It's a metaphor, but read between the lines on the meaning.

This is the worst advice ever. A loaded weapon is a good thing. It makes a guy more masculine, and masculinity drives attraction.
    How in the world would you even know?
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    First of all yes go to the door! If you have good intentions this is the way to go! Most Dads will want to meet who is dating their daughter! Look him in the eye, introduce yourself and shake his hand.

Secondly, if you would normally open the car door for her and close it behind her then DO IT! I am very traditional. I do it all the time. So be yourself. If this IS NOT WHO YOU ARE then don't!

If you're the type of guy who likes to give a woman flowers then give them to her, if you're not, then don't.

PAY for the meal! Who cares if there isn't a second date.

Protection! REALLY??!! Is she a hooker? You young guys are way too used to just hooking up! If you truly like her there will be plenty of time for that later!

Just be yourself.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    You don't mention the mom. If she's there you need to be courteous and respectful to her as well. If mom doesn't like you, then you can forget it. (Give mom the flowers!)
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You don't mention the mom. If she's there you need to be courteous and respectful to her as well. If mom doesn't like you, then you can forget it. (Give mom the flowers!)

Excellent point! This!
  • curt40
    curt40 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Give up the "dominance" angle. No HS kid will ever pull off being dominant to a dad. Certainly not this dad.

Dads think most HS boys are D Bags. Be polite and you will stand out from the crowd of losers.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Just park on the street and honk your horn repeatedly. Dad's really respect that.
  • mmartinez_az
    Options
    I remember you, you are the guy that wanted a girl to cook and clean for you well here is my imput. Be respecfull, PAY FOR DINNER, skip the flower for the first date, and dont call her everyday!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Inb4 roofies.
  • mmartinez_az
    Options
    Inb4 roofies.

lmao
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    One last "Guy" tip for you... NEVER go on a date with a loaded weapon... It's a metaphor, but read between the lines on the meaning.

My Glock 23 or my LCP, whichever I decide to carry, will always be loaded. She might be a rapist or something

XQyfcU6.gif
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Listen up.

Instead of flowers think of something interesting she likes. Something small. Her favorite candy is a good one.

Second, you follow Bronx Tale rules:

You meet her at the door. You walk her to your car. Place your hand on the small of her back. Unlock the car door and let her get in. Hold it open until she's seated comfortably. Then you walk around the back of the vehicle, look through the rear windshield. And...

BronxTale_zpsc498aa1e.jpg

All of this... Good advice from one of my Favorite movies!
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My dad always had a rule when I dated when I was younger. They BETTER come to the door. If they didn't, their legs had better be broken. If they weren't, they were about to be.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    God, you suck at trolling.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Listen up.

Instead of flowers think of something interesting she likes. Something small. Her favorite candy is a good one.

Second, you follow Bronx Tale rules:

You meet her at the door. You walk her to your car. Place your hand on the small of her back. Unlock the car door and let her get in. Hold it open until she's seated comfortably. Then you walk around the back of the vehicle, look through the rear windshield. And...

BronxTale_zpsc498aa1e.jpg

Oh, and THIS. Although, I've personally found that the invention of remote locks has made this one tricky. What are you going to do? Unlock the doors to let her in and then relock them so she can lean over to unlock it? Personally, I think remote locks ruined the best dating test EVER.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    So I have my first date this Friday. I have a couple of questions, and I would appreciate any input/advice from older bros who have experience in this field. Okay so when I pick her up, should I walk to her door? I'm kind of afraid of her dad opening the door, I think it would be kind of awk. I'm going to be as nervous as it is, don't need her dad intimidating me.. So I was thinking about opening the car door for her and closing it. Is that too "soft" of me? I don't want to come off as some sort of softy. Well I want to be nice/ polite yet stay firm and show my dominance as a guy and show her I'm in charge. Also I was thinking while we are driving to the restaurant I was gonna reach in the back seat and surprise her with some flowers. Is that too much? If not what kind of flowers? Should I pay for her meal? I've done some research and a lot of guys say you shouldn't have to pay for everything on the first date because there might not be a second. Lastly..should I bring "protection" just in case..? Not sure if I missed anything. I appreciate any input. Ty !

Here are my thoughts:

DEFINITELY go to the door to get her. You need to show her dad you are confident and not some shady kid who is scared of him. The day my daughter starts dating, they BETTER come to the door or she will not be going out with him again.

Opening doors is a good thing. Car door, restaurant door, movie theater door....whatever. Open her door.

Don't try to come off as "dominant." Talk to her as a person and an equal, because she IS one. No one is in charge. Yes, you made the plans, but that doesn't make you in charge.

On the flowers, too much. It's a first date.

You asked, you pay. Here's the thing though....one of the "tests" I use when I go on a date with a woman for the first time is whether or not she OFFERS to pay. I would never let her, but if she doesn't at least offer, that's a red flag in my book.

Sure, bring protection if you like but don't assume you are getting any. And if she says "stop" or "no," then it's over. NEVER keep going when she isn't comfortable. More likely, after the date, walk her to her door, give her a nice kiss good night and go home.

Also, AFTER the date, don't do the "I have to wait three days to call her" BS. If you like her and had a good time, text her the next morning and tell her that. Something like "Thanks again for going out with me last night. I had a great time." Keep it simple.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Oh my lord, is this your first date ever? And that really wasn't meant to be rude. Absolutely go to her door. It would be so rude not to. Definitely open her car door, and never assume that you will get sex on the first date. Basically, just treat her like a human being. If you invited her on the date, then you should pay, in my opinion. However, people have different views on that.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    weaksauce/10. Take your unfunny antics back to bodybuilding.com, brah.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    So I have my first date this Friday. I have a couple of questions, and I would appreciate any input/advice from older bros who have experience in this field. Okay so when I pick her up, should I walk to her door? I'm kind of afraid of her dad opening the door, I think it would be kind of awk. I'm going to be as nervous as it is, don't need her dad intimidating me.. So I was thinking about opening the car door for her and closing it. Is that too "soft" of me? I don't want to come off as some sort of softy. Well I want to be nice/ polite yet stay firm and show my dominance as a guy and show her I'm in charge. Also I was thinking while we are driving to the restaurant I was gonna reach in the back seat and surprise her with some flowers. Is that too much? If not what kind of flowers? Should I pay for her meal? I've done some research and a lot of guys say you shouldn't have to pay for everything on the first date because there might not be a second. Lastly..should I bring "protection" just in case..? Not sure if I missed anything. I appreciate any input. Ty !

Here are my thoughts:

DEFINITELY go to the door to get her. You need to show her dad you are confident and not some shady kid who is scared of him. The day my daughter starts dating, they BETTER come to the door or she will not be going out with him again.

Opening doors is a good thing. Car door, restaurant door, movie theater door....whatever. Open her door.

Don't try to come off as "dominant." Talk to her as a person and an equal, because she IS one. No one is in charge. Yes, you made the plans, but that doesn't make you in charge.

On the flowers, too much. It's a first date.

You asked, you pay. Here's the thing though....one of the "tests" I use when I go on a date with a woman for the first time is whether or not she OFFERS to pay. I would never let her, but if she doesn't at least offer, that's a red flag in my book.

Sure, bring protection if you like but don't assume you are getting any. And if she says "stop" or "no," then it's over. NEVER keep going when she isn't comfortable. More likely, after the date, walk her to her door, give her a nice kiss good night and go home.

Also, AFTER the date, don't do the "I have to wait three days to call her" BS. If you like her and had a good time, text her the next morning and tell her that. Something like "Thanks again for going out with me last night. I had a great time." Keep it simple.

This. I always offer to pay my half on the first date, even though I expect the guy to insist on paying. Also, about the three day rule---definitely a stupid idea. All of 1patientbear's advice is excellent.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I think the advice from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back works best here:

Angel Jay: You gotta go from the heart, yo. No little perv-bullsh*t's gonna work for this one. Be smooth. Be Don Juan de la Nooch...Remember: Don't pull your d*ck out 'till she asks, or until she's sleeping. BOOOONG...