For all women who are striving for "

Options
Perfection. Please watch this video. Please eat and love yourself for who you are and what you look like. We are all beautiful and unique and we need to stop striving for something that isn't obtainable in real life.

http://www.upworthy.com/5-minutes-of-what-the-media-actually-does-to-women-8?c=ufb3

Plus,.. real men like curves and real boobs. Not digitally enhanced ones.. :~)

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

I really wish women would stop speaking for us.

“Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good.” ~ Vince Lombardi
  • knt6742
    knt6742 Posts: 36
    Options
    Perfection. Please watch this video. Please eat and love yourself for who you are and what you look like. We are all beautiful and unique and we need to stop striving for something that isn't obtainable in real life.

http://www.upworthy.com/5-minutes-of-what-the-media-actually-does-to-women-8?c=ufb3

I know you meant this in a good way but the whole real men like curves and real boobs thing bothers me. One you shouldn't be basing what you want to look like because of what "real men" like. Two Not cool to just generalize men like that. And lastly what about the skinny chicks without any boobs are we not desirable?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Plus,.. real men like curves and real boobs.

This is body shaming. It's just as demoralizing as people who cut down larger women. This nonsense has to stop.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    sigh..

ok.. men like real women. not digitally enhanced ones..

Are the overly sensitivities people who are ignoring the point of this post happy now??

sheesh.
  • ElliottTN
    Options

I know you meant this in a good way but the whole real men like curves and real boobs thing bothers me. One you shouldn't be basing what you want to look like because of what "real men" like. Two Not cool to just generalize men like that. And lastly what about the skinny chicks without any boobs are we not desirable?

Further, it is not just women being photo shopped skinny. Plus size models are also photo shopped. Basically anyone subject to professional print is photo shopped. A good deal of the time those "curves" aren't really real. If they are they are covered in cellulite that has been photo shopped away.

Then there is that whole gender thing. Women are only half the issue in ads but not a single person ever address that issue. This unrealistic image thing hits everyone regardless of gender. For men, we are all supposed to be 6'5 dark tanned model looking millionaires.

The thing is, BBW, you are still just a segment of the population. A growing segment, yes, but this is a problem that reaches everyone. You can't do this without the rest of us. Stop pretending this is only your problem and you are the only ones being targeted here. You may actually get something to change at that point. Step out of your women studies classroom and stop being discriminatory and we will help you out.

tumblr_mqtczvezZ31qjnhqgo1_500.jpg
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Further, it is not just women being photo shopped skinny. Plus size models are also photo shopped. Basically anyone subject to professional print is photo shopped. A good deal of the time those "curves" aren't really real. If they are they are covered in cellulite that has been photo shopped away.

Then there is that whole gender thing. Women are only half the issue in ads but not a single person ever address that issue. This unrealistic image thing hits everyone regardless of gender. For men, we are all supposed to be 6'5 dark tanned model looking millionaires.

The thing is, BBW, you are still just a segment of the population. A growing segment, yes, but this is a problem that reaches everyone. You can't do this without the rest of us. Stop pretending this is only your problem and you are the only ones being targeted here. You may actually get something to change at that point. Step out of your women studies classroom and stop being discriminatory and we will help you out.

That was the point of the video. Thank for explaining to those who chose not to watch it and for explaining that it applies to men as well.
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Please. What a load of hogwash.

(1) Objectification and body-shaming is DISPROPORTIONATELY directed at females.

(2) Absolutely no one is arguing that men are exempt from it.

(3) BOTH are a direct result of patriarchy. Women did NOT create that "he-man" ideal. MEN did.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Now he was created for me to drool at

282f3na.jpg

wait...What were we talking about?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Now he was created for me to drool at

282f3na.jpg

wait...What were we talking about?

:love::love::love:
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

(3) BOTH are a direct result of patriarchy. Women did NOT create that "he-man" ideal. MEN did.
    All true, generally we only see complaints about male objectification as an argument to devalue cancerns regarding female objectification. Not to say it doesn't happen to both genders but both the level of objectification and the level of its consequences on the cultural pressure of women to live up to the ideal are disproportionate.
    That being said, I don't think the term 'real women' or 'real men' is helpful to either gender or the issue at all, everyone is real, and no one should be devalued for not living up to any expectation, men and women.
  • ElliottTN
    Options

All true, generally we only see complaints about male objectification as an argument to devalue cancerns regarding female objectification. Not to say it doesn't happen to both genders but both the level of objectification and the level of its consequences on the cultural pressure of women to live up to the ideal are disproportionate.
    That being said, I don't think the term 'real women' or 'real men' is helpful to either gender or the issue at all, everyone is real, and no one should be devalued for not living up to any expectation, men and women.

Well..here I am now trying to bring it up a a valid point that is happens to us as well and yiu need to include us in this movement and two separate women are basically telling me my concern is hogwash and not as valid because of my gender.

This is exactly the reason you will never win this fight. You attitude is such that only the biggest victim matters so stop *****ing.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options

I really wish women would stop speaking for us.

“Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good.” ~ Vince Lombardi

I completely agree with this guy.
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Well..here I am now trying to bring it up a a valid point that is happens to us as well and yiu need to include us in this movement and two separate women are basically telling me my concern is hogwash and not as valid because of my gender.

I am a man... Your point about extending this concern to men is well-noted. Your suggestion that both genders are equally affected by body-shaming and objectification is hogwash.
    This is exactly the reason you will never win this fight. You attitude is such that only the biggest victim matters so stop *****ing.
    I think this speaks for itself.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    I have already amended my statement to say men like real women. (unless they like real men, which is fine by me too) and real boobs and real bodies. I have never met a man who liked hugging a women and having her face come off on his shirt. So i don't think that is an inaccurate statement. The fact that she feels the need to wear that much makeup proves that she is striving to look like whatever the media showed her the perfect women is supposed to look like that week. (and we all know someone like this)

I just wish women could be as comfortable as men are to show themselves. It absolutely is women who are more affected by it. I grew up at the beach. There are more healthy thin women wearing cover-ups to hide themselves, then men and more overweight men walking around shirtless in shorts or speedos thinking they are the hottest thing out there then women.

I just wish our young ladies could see the ads for what they are. Fake portrayals of what a woman looks like. And it's worse because they are real people and they do not look like that on a normal day. Only after airbrushing and makeup and getting their hair done and their body photoshopped. But no one tells them that. By the time you wake up and realize all this you are already set in your line of thinking and it's extremely tough to break it. The whole "i must look a certain way because TV/media says so" mentality. Leads to a lot of disordered thinking, especially among women.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

The attitude that you displayed is that the victimization of men is equivalent to women, in cultural consequence it is very different, and when you tell women to step out of women's studies classrooms to 'win' that invites further hostility and pits it as us vs. them, which you continue to underscore in your recent comment. No one is saying your concern is hogwash, we both agreed that objectionable of men does in fact happen, but there will be no change in any of this until there is a greater cultural understanding on everyone's part, which doesn't have to come from a classroom, it comes from observing the world and media. Acknowledging that things are not equal does not mean that your point is invalid, but the fact that it only surfaces as a point as a negative response other concerns, it is not productive. If you are interested in the issue, lets have a discussion without the asterisks.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the people on here bashing this post even watched the video. That video was awesome. Just gives us the reality that what we're trying to achieve as women, is not realistic at all. Go Kate Winslet! Op is not trying to bash skinny or boobless women, she is simply making remarks about the video. It is sad that we women are always trying to "chase" this idea we have in our head of what we should look like, and it's never obtainable. Should you stop trying to achieve a realistic and obtainable body that you desire? No, but we can make ourselves crazy trying to obtain a body that is unobtainable. It can also lead to depression and eating disorders. I can imagine that men are also effected by ads and the fashion industry as well, but not to the extent that women are. Great post OP!
  • candirose69
    Options
    There is actually an increase in men and boys presenting at eating disorder clinics (at least here in Aus). I would say there is just as much objectification of men as women and I would agree that men dont have the 'right' to bring it up. Men have to have 'big shoulders' and 'man up' about these things

My husband is a slender man, he weighs only 50kg and is ghostly pale like me. He is VERY self conscious, probably more so then his obese wife because I have parts of the media and my gf's telling me I'm a beautiful person and how good i look ect. Men don't have that privilege, men will pick on each other mercilessly in the guise of a joke. My husband wont take his t-shirt off at the beach because he is so self conscious of his body.

I think I get what the men here are trying to say. We can't JUST look at women's issues we have to look at SOCIETIES issues. and society has a messed up image of who we should be. I should be petite and my husband should be bulky. Neither of us fit this stereotype but I believe I have more support to change myself then my husband does. and yes these issues come froma history of patriarchy but that patriarchy is damaging men as much as women.
  • OatFloats
    OatFloats Posts: 119
    Options
    I would find it funny if a woman did not know that those women in the ads were photo-shopped.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I found it interesting that in the photo of Kiera Knightley, she had no boobs, but in the photoshopped version, she had added boobs. There's so much "Love your curves" and "Curves are sexy" talk going around that now even her straight figure isn't appreciated.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    I would find it funny if a woman did not know that those women in the ads were photo-shopped.

Grown women do.. our teenage counter parts may not..and when girls are young their parents "don't understand". They are highly impressionable and highly susceptible to peer pressure. I was teased relentlessly because i didn't get boobs until I was 15. I have redish cheeks and i'm tall and was never thin. I got in fights because of it. And instead of getting the "she's bad-*kitten* don't mess with her" rep when I won, like boys do.. I just got jumped by more girls seeking revenge for getting beat the first time. I thought something was wrong with me for years. I never saw myself as beautiful until my late 20s.. maybe even early 30s. because when you learn something that young, it is very very hard to reverse that thinking even when the truth is finally made clear as day and put in your face.

here is another great video

http://www.upworthy.com/ever-considered-what-guys-look-for-in-girls-forget-it-think-about-what-a-17-year-old-says-instead?c=ufb1