Understanding obesity rather than weight loss

Options
12346»

Replies

• Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    The sugar addiction? really? do you eat fruit????? it has sugar.

That's not fair. One piece of fruit does not lead to a 2nd or third.
    One slice of cake, brownie, cookie, cupcake, & soda, can in fact lead to a 2nd and 3rd serving with out realizing it.

That's not some biologically hardwired propensity toward eating sweetened baked goods. That's habit and taste preference. If sugar magically made a body want more sugar, then all sugars would have that effect.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

One slice of cake, brownie, cookie, cupcake, & soda, can in fact lead to a 2nd and 3rd serving with out realizing it.

That's not some biologically hardwired propensity toward eating sweetened baked goods. That's habit and taste preference. If sugar magically made a body want more sugar, then all sugars would have that effect.

Not true. Because fiber sorcery.
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    I agree that cutting out certain foods can be really helpful, and especially that drinking lots of water and getting a good night's sleep is important.

It's very common for people to shoot down anything but "calories in, calories out" on this site, and for good reason--that's the only way to lose weight. What is an issue for some people is, what caused them to eat more than they burned in the first place? Why did they overeat? And I think that's where there's some merit to cutting out refined/added sugars, or lowering simple carbs, or other changes--they don't "make" people lose weight, but can make it easier to eat at a deficit.

Anybody can say "you just need a moderate calorie deficit to lose weight," but the reality is that many people find that moderate deficit difficult to reach or maintain, and what's important is that they find a way to make that deficit a part of their lives in a comfortable way they are going to be able to maintain for a long time.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

No, it took hard work and persistence for a year. My results were slower and less dramatic than other people who put in equivalent effort. My diet had to be more finely tuned. It's insulting for you to call the results of my effort "luck". Frankly, it's more insulting than when you called me an idiot. There's no such thing as lucky weight loss with hypothyroid, there's consistency and hard work, or no results.

I have two close friends who both have hypothyroid, PCOS, and insulin resistance. They've gained over 100 lbs from the conditions. They've been CONSISTENTLY trying to lose weight for years… they take Metformin… they have a dietician… they exercise daily for almost 2 hours every day… and they still can't lose more than 10 lbs. So no there isn't consistency and hard work or no results. Because they give their all and still have little to no results. Some just aren't as fortunate/don't have as much success when it comes to losing weight with those diseases.

Except, the question is, did they become obese only after being diagnosed with medical conditions, or did they consume more calories than they burn driving up their bodyweight and create or contribute to these disorders?

They began gaining weight out of the blue. Then contacted their doctor who referred them to an endocrinologist who proceeded to do blood tests and ultrasounds, CT scans, etc. Ultrasounds and CT scans showed massive cysts on their ovaries. One of them has had 4 emergency surgeries to remove ovarian cysts.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Without realizing it?? Does your brain disconnect or what?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Today, I learned about magic and its properties of granting weight loss to those with lucky charms...

*nod nod*
  • mssag
    mssag Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I swear, it's gotten to the point that everyone has some "disease" or some other affliction they blame for causing whatever perceived bad is happening to them.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Obesity is the result of behavior - it is absolutely NOT a disease.

OP, I do applaud you for sharing your experience, even if it's different from my own. That said, you could have done this without pills or surgery. Most women can lose weight on around 1600 calories a day, which if you eat the right foods at the right times of the day you shouldn't be that hungry.

Change your lifestyle - this should not result in starving yourself, and you don't have to work out for hours a day.

You obviously aren't familiar with diseases of the endocrine system which cause obesity. Hence why obesity is a disease. Cushing's syndrome, thyroid malfunction or hyperfunction of the adrenal gland, insulinoma, tumors on the pituitary gland, carcinoid tumors, PCOS… just to name a few. People with these conditions suffer every day of their life with their weight. Do you know how difficult it is to lose weight with any of those diseases? The weight piles on no matter how much you exercise, what your diet is like, etc.

How dare you tell the OP that she could have lost weight without surgery or medication. I think if she could have lost weight without undergoing life-threatening surgery and having to take pills every day of her life, that she would have taken that route instead. You don't know her whole life story. Some people NEED an appetite suppressant because their leptin/ghrelin levels are screwed up and don't tell the brain when they are full or when they are truly hungry. Instead they send mixed messages- the person always "feels" hungry… they never feel "full." There's nothing wrong with taking a pill to correct the hunger hormones in the brain.

You named other diseases that contribute to obesity, not any evidence that obesity itself is a disease.

Many of those diseases also contribute to laziness. Is laziness a disease?

My point is that some people have certain diseases that make them obese. Their eating behaviors and exercise habits did not give them PCOS, carcinoid tumors, hypothyroidism. If you think those are caused by laziness, I'm sorry but you are an idiot and should really do your research before talking about something you clearly know nothing about.

I'm an idiot with hypothyroid disease that didn't use it as an excuse and used a calorie deficit and exercise to lose the weight I accumulated.

You're just one of the lucky ones who was able to lose weight through exercise and diet alone.

Lucky? Ouch. Way to marginalize hard work and a ton of effort.

Another idiot here. I have a pituitary gland tumor, as referenced above. I have lost weight at a calorie deficit and exercise. Hmmm.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I swear, it's gotten to the point that everyone has some "disease" or some other affliction they blame for causing whatever perceived bad is happening to them.

I got these symptoms once then I looked on WebMD and found out I had scurvy. It's what I get though, being a pirate. ;)
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

OP, I do applaud you for sharing your experience, even if it's different from my own. That said, you could have done this without pills or surgery. Most women can lose weight on around 1600 calories a day, which if you eat the right foods at the right times of the day you shouldn't be that hungry.

Change your lifestyle - this should not result in starving yourself, and you don't have to work out for hours a day.

You obviously aren't familiar with diseases of the endocrine system which cause obesity. Hence why obesity is a disease. Cushing's syndrome, thyroid malfunction or hyperfunction of the adrenal gland, insulinoma, tumors on the pituitary gland, carcinoid tumors, PCOS… just to name a few. People with these conditions suffer every day of their life with their weight. Do you know how difficult it is to lose weight with any of those diseases? The weight piles on no matter how much you exercise, what your diet is like, etc.

How dare you tell the OP that she could have lost weight without surgery or medication. I think if she could have lost weight without undergoing life-threatening surgery and having to take pills every day of her life, that she would have taken that route instead. You don't know her whole life story. Some people NEED an appetite suppressant because their leptin/ghrelin levels are screwed up and don't tell the brain when they are full or when they are truly hungry. Instead they send mixed messages- the person always "feels" hungry… they never feel "full." There's nothing wrong with taking a pill to correct the hunger hormones in the brain.

You named other diseases that contribute to obesity, not any evidence that obesity itself is a disease.

Many of those diseases also contribute to laziness. Is laziness a disease?

My point is that some people have certain diseases that make them obese. Their eating behaviors and exercise habits did not give them PCOS, carcinoid tumors, hypothyroidism. If you think those are caused by laziness, I'm sorry but you are an idiot and should really do your research before talking about something you clearly know nothing about.

I'm an idiot with hypothyroid disease that didn't use it as an excuse and used a calorie deficit and exercise to lose the weight I accumulated.

You're just one of the lucky ones who was able to lose weight through exercise and diet alone.

Lucky? Ouch. Way to marginalize hard work and a ton of effort.

Another idiot here. I have a pituitary gland tumor, as referenced above. I have lost weight at a calorie deficit and exercise. Hmmm.

Congrats to you!!! You are so lucky...

:drinker: :laugh:

Seriously though, great job.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

It's a trend. Like how people blamed (and some still do) on being big boned, unable to overcome "genetics", and some disease/allergy or whatever that they never got tested on but are "sure" they have (or they got tested on, came back negative and still insist they probably have it).
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

I got these symptoms once then I looked on WebMD and found out I had scurvy. It's what I get though, being a pirate. ;)

And a patch and a parrot, too, right? Don't let anything cheat you out of a pretty bird!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I agree that cutting out certain foods can be really helpful, and especially that drinking lots of water and getting a good night's sleep is important.

It's very common for people to shoot down anything but "calories in, calories out" on this site, and for good reason--that's the only way to lose weight. What is an issue for some people is, what caused them to eat more than they burned in the first place? Why did they overeat? And I think that's where there's some merit to cutting out refined/added sugars, or lowering simple carbs, or other changes--they don't "make" people lose weight, but can make it easier to eat at a deficit.

Anybody can say "you just need a moderate calorie deficit to lose weight," but the reality is that many people find that moderate deficit difficult to reach or maintain, and what's important is that they find a way to make that deficit a part of their lives in a comfortable way they are going to be able to maintain for a long time.

This x 1 billion.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    There is so much more to the human body that personkind has left to learn. I know what works for one will not for another, many in the real world have health issues for which they are given no medical support or encouragement, reading threads similar to this can help them glean that "something" which might just help them turn their lives round. Something else to read up on, which may or may not apply to them but provide another learning opportunity.

In 1993 when I was being frowned on for not being smaller for the umpteenth time by family. I said my problem lay in something I was eating not the quantity. Little did I realise it was the salicylate, aspirin, hidden in so many fruits and veg, I became riddled with joint and muscle pain, breathing problems and much much more. Eventually I was reduced to using walking sticks just to get about, Doing the perceived "right thing" was of no help, it was causing my problem. Being put in a "box" as a perennial over eater, by medics, who ignored other factors like asking why I had so many other health issues and could there be a connection has taken me to a point now where I am unable to spend much time in public places because of the residual smells of perfumes and household and personal hygiene products, probably salicylate or salicylate mimics, synthetic copies which act much the same way as the real thing. Those of you who are able to loose weight with calorie restriction and exercise be grateful because when the body goes "wrong" it can go wrong in big ways, believe me. I never saw myself as a victim, I never gave up trying to live a "normal" life either.

I might start getting help. I might have found the right button to press. I am off to immunology in the hope of discovering how to counteract the things which are restricting me. Its only been an adult lifetime of frustration what the hell. What was the saying I need? Don't let the .......................
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Congrats to you!!! You are so lucky...

:drinker: :laugh:

Seriously though, great job.

Wow, I feel doubly blessed~! I had a pituitary tumor AND a bad thyroid!

Special Snowflake for sure. I'm going to add it to my profile...:bigsmile:
  • 2000chances
    2000chances Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    True that!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

And a patch and a parrot, too, right? Don't let anything cheat you out of a pretty bird!

Oh yes. Though, I blame the parrot for my scurvy. Kept eating all my fruit.
  • savvysabby01
    Options

I'm another idiot with Hashimoto's-with complications, plus severe chronic pain issues (from multiple sources) who is 'magically' losing weight from eating less and moving more-and no, I'm not starving, nor am I working out for hours per day, nor am I taking any pills to curb appetite.

Huh. Funny how that works.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options

I have two close friends who both have hypothyroid, PCOS, and insulin resistance. They've gained over 100 lbs from the conditions. They've been CONSISTENTLY trying to lose weight for years… they take Metformin… they have a dietician… they exercise daily for almost 2 hours every day… and they still can't lose more than 10 lbs. So no there isn't consistency and hard work or no results. Because they give their all and still have little to no results. Some just aren't as fortunate/don't have as much success when it comes to losing weight with those diseases.

Do your friends do low carb? Because insulin resistance carries more issues than just counting calories. In fact, we have hundreds or thousands of women on this board who have had success with PCOS by setting carbs to 80-120g or less. Also, do they use food scales and are they consistently logging their calories. If they don't, it's all conjecture.

So yes, everyone (regardless of health issues) can lose weight while on a deficit. They might need to have lower calories than the normal person (due to a lower metabolic rate) or they might need lower carbs due to insulin resistance, but in the end, they all need to track calories and watch progress. It's truly that simple. And this is coming from a wife who has a medical condition (POTS) which requires gluten free and a lower carb diet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    BTW, people can not be addicted to sugar, at least physically.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20056521

"Conclusion: There is no support from the human literature for the hypothesis that sucrose may be physically addictive or that addiction to sugar plays a role in eating disorders."