You know what grinds my gears.....

jmp463
jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
Yes - I stole that line from Family guy. Not afraid to admit that I am not original.

However there is something that grinds my gears about MFP. Actually its something that makes me laugh and shake my head.

Its people who in the first 3 lines of their profile tell you all the reasons that they will not accept you as a friend or delete you as a friend.

I mean what the hell is that all about???

What ever happened to "hello my name is...."

Instead its:

"....please do not send me FR if you are living in North America. If you eat sugar. If you are not Gluten Free. If you are Gluten Free. If you are in starvation mode. If you believe in starvation mode. If you dont lift more than you weigh. If you dont eat 2500 calories a day....blah blah blah blah...."

If you are that insane about adding a random person on social website how the hell do you make in through life????

It just seems like some of the people on this site take themselves a bit too serious. As though the world will end if Fitmamma2014 wont let me add her because I do not have the same philosophy about hammer curls vs dumbbell curls or that I eat white bread.

Its a nice site and if you really are honest with yourself and your logging and you try hard you really can use it to lose weight. I have learned so much from some of the posts I have read and so many people have the best of intentions. However some of the others I swear are tools. And not the good kind.

And that is what grinds my gears.

Replies

• prime853
    prime853 Posts: 519
    I agree, all I expect is a simple message, even then I still except all people, its just courteous I think but no biggie

haven't come across anyone that has said they'd deny people

Except for one who said she would if she got no message in the request lololololol
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    it's like a velvet rope....i concur!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    I dunno, I don't really find it that ridiculous to want people on your friendslist thatyou have something in common with. But I'm probably one of those people you're complaining about because unless under very special circumstances, I don't accept friend requests at all.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    you read that stuff?
  • prime853
    prime853 Posts: 519
    you read that stuff?

I do, gives me an idea wether to suspect a troll account
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    ...when you drop a reel on its handle and the pinion gets micro wear causing vibration on the retrieve?

Because in the past, that's what caused most of my reels' gear wear.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Trust me I dont take it that serious. I just find it amusing more than anything else. Everyone is free to do as they please. But to me it does say something about the person.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Trust me I dont take it that serious. I just find it amusing more than anything else. Everyone is free to do as they please. But to me it does say something about the person.

So, what exactly does a few lines in an online profile created by a person making life changing decisions say about a person?
  • Lovely_77
    Lovely_77 Posts: 1,116 Member
    well the fact that they take the time to write all of that, rather than just make their profile private and decline those they do not want seeing their profile, means they want people to know they only accept a certain kind and is still fine with their profile being looked at almost as freely as if they were to accept the requests. Tells me they just want to be noticed and/or feel as if MFP is their VIP section.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    well the fact that they take the time to write all of that, rather than just make their profile private and decline those they do not want seeing their profile, means they want people to know they only accept a certain kind and is still fine with their profile being looked at almost as freely as if they were to accept the requests. Tells me they just want to be noticed and/or feel as if MFP is their VIP section.

You're right, it probably has nothing to with them thinking it might actually help to connect with people who they would be able to relate and understand them better.
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Amen brotha. That said, managing 60+ friends is hard, I really want to pay attn to each one. Now, I know a guy on here, who in 30 days, has over 300 friends and he is equally dedicated to each one, it's amazing.

I believe that I am one hell of a friend to many people, all kinds, young and old, race matters not, women, men, fit or overweight, gay, straight, married or single, diversity is the key for me.

Will I delete a friend who is no longer active, yeah, after a quick email to make sure things are ok, if I get no response, I move on.

Thanks for posting the topic and love the homage to FG!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Yeah, gotta say I don't really care for it, and I probably don't send friend requests to those that have it. I understand the reasoning, but still, I personally don't like it.

I take all friend requests. I post often, and I respond more to those who post a lot in my feed. If you don't post, I likely don't have much to do with you, but I don't reject anyone. If I'm unfriended, oh well. I'm pretty open and am always willing to offer support or encouragement, but typically only when asked. I find it hard to encourage or try to motivate those I don't know or talk to regularly. I don't put down generic "WTG" or "good job", I post what I really feel. And I'm not shy about letting my friends know what I think, especially if the food diary macros are too low/too high. I'm never mean, but I will express my concerns.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    I regularly get blank friend requests from people whose profile says they do not accept blank friend requests. I guess they don't see the irony.
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    It amuses me. But I assume they've had creepers add/message them, so I understand.

I'll add anyone, there's no velvet rope here! :P
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    i keep my list very small, and don't add to it often. my profile is not set to private, and i do have the disclaimer about a message along with a friend request. it's all personal preference. i'm very discretionary about who i add. i'm not a big fan of large numbers of people, whether real or virtual. i'm comfortable with my friend's list, which is most important. and it's mine, so why do you care anyway?
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    LOL!! to Michellemybelle
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    meh
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    sandra-bullock-wtf.gif.pagespeed.ce.1Js_4he6tX.gif
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Get over it.