For all women who are striving for "

Options

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    The attitude that you displayed is that the victimization of men is equivalent to women, in cultural consequence it is very different, and when you tell women to step out of women's studies classrooms to 'win' that invites further hostility and pits it as us vs. them, which you continue to underscore in your recent comment.

No one is saying your concern is hogwash,

we both agreed that objectionable of men does in fact happen, but there will be no change in any of this until there is a greater cultural understanding on everyone's part, which doesn't have to come from a classroom, it comes from observing the world and media. Acknowledging that things are not equal does not mean that your point is invalid, but the fact that it only surfaces as a point as a negative response other concerns, it is not productive. If you are interested in the issue, lets have a discussion without the asterisks.

Here, I pulled that piece out for you. Yes. the exact word they used about my concern was actually..."hogwash"

The point never really was that things are "equal" so much, the point is that every time the subject is brought up and things like men are introduced into the equation, the inevitable conclusion is that...well.....you are not the main victim...its not really targeted so much to you... women have it so much worse. My point is that it doesn't really matter which one is more wrong if they are both wrong.

If you want o make slideshows highlighting this, do not make them gender specific. Do not make them skinny specific. When it is happening to everyone, there is no target audience. Until you decide to include all segments of the population that are being subjected to this then you are just going to spin your wheels.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    There is actually an increase in men and boys presenting at eating disorder clinics (at least here in Aus). I would say there is just as much objectification of men as women and I would agree that men dont have the 'right' to bring it up. Men have to have 'big shoulders' and 'man up' about these things

My husband is a slender man, he weighs only 50kg and is ghostly pale like me. He is VERY self conscious, probably more so then his obese wife because I have parts of the media and my gf's telling me I'm a beautiful person and how good i look ect. Men don't have that privilege, men will pick on each other mercilessly in the guise of a joke. My husband wont take his t-shirt off at the beach because he is so self conscious of his body.

I think I get what the men here are trying to say. We can't JUST look at women's issues we have to look at SOCIETIES issues. and society has a messed up image of who we should be. I should be petite and my husband should be bulky. Neither of us fit this stereotype but I believe I have more support to change myself then my husband does. and yes these issues come froma history of patriarchy but that patriarchy is damaging men as much as women.

Holy freaking crap..exactly. You are awesome.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Plus,.. real men like curves and real boobs. Not digitally enhanced ones.. :~)

Real men like whatever the hell they like. How about you do what makes you happy and don't worry if a man is going to like you or find you attractive. It was very liberating for me when I stopped caring if men liked my muscles or not.
    real-men-like-curves-meme.jpg
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Real men like whatever the hell they like. How about you do what makes you happy and don't worry if a man is going to like you or find you attractive. It was very liberating for me when I stopped caring if men liked my muscles or not.
    real-men-like-curves-meme.jpg

+1
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

]

+1

Watch the video. -

I guess before you stopped caring you DID care. Therefore you were affected by the exact thing the video addresses. Kudos to you for getting over it.. there are so many women who do not. So you basically agree with me, you just took offense to a statement i made after watching the video and felt the need to arbitrarily comment on something that is way off the point of the whole post. It's ok.. i get it, it's how the internet works.. (Also.. I've amended my statement.. men like real women not digitally enhanced ones so that overly sensitive people don't get as offended, i am just unable to edit my original post. )

i repeat.. watch the video.
  • frodopuppy
    Options
    I didn't watch the video but I loved your post. just want to be the best me I possibly can. good luck to everyone out their achieve your dream not someone else's.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    The attitude that you displayed is that the victimization of men is equivalent to women, in cultural consequence it is very different, and when you tell women to step out of women's studies classrooms to 'win' that invites further hostility and pits it as us vs. them, which you continue to underscore in your recent comment.

we both agreed that objectionable of men does in fact happen, but there will be no change in any of this until there is a greater cultural understanding on everyone's part, which doesn't have to come from a classroom, it comes from observing the world and media. Acknowledging that things are not equal does not mean that your point is invalid, but the fact that it only surfaces as a point as a negative response other concerns, it is not productive. If you are interested in the issue, lets have a discussion without the asterisks.

Here, I pulled that piece out for you. Yes. the exact word they used about my concern was actually..."hogwash"

The point never really was that things are "equal" so much, the point is that every time the subject is brought up and things like men are introduced into the equation, the inevitable conclusion is that...well.....you are not the main victim...its not really targeted so much to you... women have it so much worse. My point is that it doesn't really matter which one is more wrong if they are both wrong.

If you want o make slideshows highlighting this, do not make them gender specific. Do not make them skinny specific. When it is happening to everyone, there is no target audience. Until you decide to include all segments of the population that are being subjected to this then you are just going to spin your wheels.

One should not take away from the other IMO.

I will say however that one of the reasons that male issues are not more in the lime-light is that they don't speak up.

I had this male friend...he was emotionally and physically abuse by his wife for years...he never spoke up. Some of us that he had confided in finally convinced him to seek help. There is help out there for men such as in this case but even that help is kept will hidden.

I know that men have this "societal image" that they feel they have to live up to but before it will change...they have to put aside ego and speak up.
  • Fit_little_vegan
    Options
    Plus,.. real men like curves and real boobs.

This is body shaming. It's just as demoralizing as people who cut down larger women. This nonsense has to stop.

Exactly, it's body shaming and just as bad.
    I don't tell you real men only like sticks don't tell me real men only like curves, all men are different.
    And 2. I could give a sh*ttttttttt what a MAN wants, it's about what I want.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

You are right, I glossed over the hogwash line to the statements below it. I am sorry.

I think this is an issue that affects both genders, but since the genders are treated differently within it I think that needs to be part of the discussion. Not to leave anyone out, but to discuss the situation and a solution with a view on how the reality of the objectification plays out. Not to be the bigger victim and dismiss others concerns, but the inequality and underlying messages, as well as the consequences that these messages have and those who are using the messages to sell... it all needs to be taken into account if we are to have a discussion. The issue I took with your response wasn't that I disagree with men being affected by this issue, but that bringing up men's being affected in such a way as to seem to be detracting from a womans concern for the issue, makes it come across as your problem is with women being concerned about it, not the men being affected. Women who have been having this discussion for years are well used to this tactic by people who are seeking to derail the conversation. Your response seemed like that, so I assumed that, because I honestly have never heard anyone bring that up as anything but an argument to devalue the conversation, except of course those who are already in the discussion. I work for a non profit that is involved in this kind of advocacy, I am well used to the types of conversations that go on surrounding it. Coming at it as an argument, rather than a supporter, as it seemed to me that you did, is not productive. If that helps inform you of why I responded as I did.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

One should not take away from the other IMO.

I will say however that one of the reasons that male issues are not more in the lime-light is that they don't speak up.

I had this male friend...he was emotionally and physically abuse by his wife for years...he never spoke up. Some of us that he had confided in finally convinced him to seek help. There is help out there for men such as in this case but even that help is kept will hidden.

I know that men have this "societal image" that they feel they have to live up to but before it will change...they have to put aside ego and speak up.
    Yes, the societal ideas of masculinity are harmful to men, incredibly restrictive, in what is acceptable behavior, dress, attitude, etc. In some communities the pressure is incredible.
    FYI all domestic violence advocates will work with men, even if the shelters are women only, advocates and lawyers will work with men, but they cannot provide services to both parties in a dispute.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I actually have not found any celebrity to be "perfect" looking, tall or small, curvy or slender...but most of them are pretty enough to look at, even to a woman's eyes. :) I want to be thin just because I have never been thin so I want to have it, not because I want to look like them..
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    I actually have not found any celebrity to be "perfect" looking, tall or small, curvy or slender...but most of them are pretty enough to look at, even to a woman's eyes. :) I want to be thin just because I have never been thin so I want to have it, not because I want to look like them..

It's not about you thinking one celebrity is perfect. It's the whole idea that there is perfect to be achieved and we pit one celebrity against another "well so and so has the best lips, but so and so has a better chest but no one beats so and so legs and so and so butt is so awesome she has it insured. If you combine these 5 celebrities you'd have the most beautiful person ever" And that's what we view as perfect. whatever conglomeration of digitally enhanced unattainable celebrity features we think are most desirable. And that is what we strive to look like. Whether we know it or not.

Yes, they are pretty enough.. esp once they are photoshopped.... some of them are pretty regardless, but we don't know if that's what they really look like is it? But that's the thing.. I am pretty, you are pretty. We don't need to change anything.

So many girls are sucked into this "i need to look like Cindy Crawford" thought process because that's what the media teaches them. You see them on this site all the time. striving to be the "perfect" weight. or the "perfect" proportion or have the "perfect" face or body.. Of course there is not such thing as perfect. But that doesn't seel cosmetics, or clothing or cologne or cigarettes or cars, or whatever.. Assigning beauty to it does.. But since there is no "perfect" person, they digitally alter models to look however the producers think will sell the product best. It teaches girls the wrong message. I hear it at from young girls mouths all the time. "i'm ugly", "I wish I was thinner" "i wish I had longer hair" " i wish my lips weren't so thin" "Why don't I have boobs yet". Yes.. i've heard this out of the mouth of babes while at my sons school functions. Even my own son calls himself ugly. And he can't really tell me why.. same as i'd bet those girls can't tell me why.

We teach our kids that looking a certain way is beautiful and that's what we strive to be. We don't do it on purpose. They watch us put on make up, shave, color our hair, get specific hair cuts, diet, workout, etc.. and if we don't present it right, they learn the wrong lesson from it.

We are all a victim of this. Whether we admit or not. Some of us have overcome it, some of us embrace it and some of us become anorexic or bulimic or cutters or whatever in order to escape it. But we have all faced it.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It starts very, very young for both genders, but there is a big difference overall. Females are expected to be most summed up by attractiveness, while males are expected to be most summed up by a trait or activity.

Here is a cite for that, because me just saying it could sound like it's just my opinion. Bitter grapes or something, lol.

"In addition, our results showing the prevalence of female appearance-related stereotypes in the
    descriptions of girls by even the youngest children raise questions about the potential
    implications of this finding for girls’ behavioral and adjustment outcomes. Specifically, girls
    who deviate from gender appearance stereotypes may incur peer rejection, leaving them
    vulnerable to adjustment problems. Further, greater accessibility for appearance stereotypes
    may also imply that girls and boys receive consistent messages about the most important
    qualities girls should possess very early in development, which may leave girls vulnerable to
    psychological distress should their self-esteem become contingent on self-perceived
    attractiveness (Nolen-Hoeksema 2001; Ohring et al. 2002; Patrick et al. 2004).

A consideration of the content of stereotypes children viewed as most characteristic of boys
    raises similar issues. Specifically, some of the most frequently mentioned trait stereotypes for
    male targets included attributes that imply physically aggressive and anti-social behavior (e.g.,
    mean, plays rough, fights; see Table 3). This emphasis on aggression may place boys at
    significant emotional and physical risks. In addition, the preponderance of activity stereotypes
    emphasizing athletics or sports among boys at all ages (with the exception of preschool) is
    striking. Such a strong emphasis on athletic ability and roughness may set an unachievable
    standard for boys who do not possess these qualities, potentially placing them at risk for poor
    adjustment."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2709873/pdf/nihms96774.pdf

So when talking about physical appearance, I think it's fair to say that the gender split is definitely in favor of the guys. That's not to say that there is no pressure there for guys, obviously. But it's simply not the same issue as it is for our girls, especially.

There are lots of studies about adult women and society's emphasis on beauty, too, but I'll stick to kids here to make the point that it's all very ingrained and very societal. Men might not 'see' that, but then that just sort of proves how different it is to grow up a girl or boy! You'd be a bit clueless if you'd not been through it ;)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    And those lessons we carry with us for years into adulthood. Some of us the rest of our lives. Look a certain way, wear certain clothes. I think a lot of us eventually get to a point where we see through it and see how much BS it is and how fake the images are. And get to a point where we truly do love ourselves for who we are. Honestly most of these girls who are hating their looks are not told they are ugly by their family or friends. Society does that and we are taught indirectly that it matters.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Not this drivel again... :noway:
  • lugiagirl249
    lugiagirl249 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree. These kinds of politics should stay out of MFP. This is a fitness site not a soapbox.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I also want to clarify on my above post that I don't disagree with the video. It was the posts following it with the crap about men loving meat, not bones, etc.

In addition to the video the OP shared, I would also like take it a step further, and point out that every women in this Dove ad not only have only one body type, but they are heavily photo shopped as well:

Dove-Real-Beauty-Campaign.jpg

I find it interesting that none of these women have cellulite. Hell, I'm on the skinny side, and I have cellulite!!!!
  • HoosierBecky
    HoosierBecky Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Would I be going out on a limb here if I said I thought the OP's message was to love yourself as you are and not what you think you might need to be?

I couldn't watch the video but I'm guessing it's message was the perfect are not perfect?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    the best curves are made of muscle. I will continue to strive to be my best regardless of what anyone else thinks.
  • Tacticalmedic13
    Tacticalmedic13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think this argument has far more than one-sided.

Should people evaluate their own beauty based on the unrealistic models presented by social media? – I think we would all agree that this is not the best of ideas.

However, the answer to this question can often lead to the abandonment of any evaluation system. I.e. the man or woman that is 100 lbs+ over weight that demands society loves them because they are “beautiful the way they are.” This opinion is dramatically increasing along with the alarming rate of obesity (at least here in the US).

I believe we need to embrace somewhere in the middle. Health should ultimately be the goal. I am a skinny little Irishman. While I would love to look buff that probably won’t even happen with the way I train. Understanding my genetics I can come to a better model or goal for myself. I focus on strength knowing that I will most likely always be slim and fit and never the buff ideal man.
    The moral of the story is that both extremes are unproductive; the overinflated airbrushed supermodels that can never be naturally obtained and the unhealthy obese individual abandoning all activities because they “should” be accepted as beautiful in our culture.

However there is yet another side of the coin that people often fail to realize is the impact of modern business practices. We complain that even plus size models are airbrushed but what advertisement company could survive the modern markets if they presented truly realistic unedited photos of their models? Isn’t it human nature to desire to “look good” in _____(insert band name) clothing? Any company (from tiny to plus size designers) would commit the equivalent of economic suicide if they didn’t use these practices and their competitors did. Just a thought to add to the complexity of this issue.